IE 7 beta

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Ok I have finally installed IE 7 beta 2 after having an error with msfeeds.dll
My first impressions is it looks pretty good interfact wise. I like the new looking tabs compared to beta 1. There is now a back and forward button which also have been remade.

You no longer have the File, Edit menu like firefox and the old IE had. Also the tool button now has an icon.
Another new feature not in beta 1 is the multi display page. Its just like a print preview. (Screenshot below) I found this pretty cool.

As in the first beta phishing filter is available (no idea what the heck this does).

Sadly the one bad feature is the font is way different to the old IEs and firefox. Its just too werid that I am sticking with firefox.
Here is an explaniation of the werid font. http://elliottback.com/wp/archives/2006/01/31/ie-7-beta-2-fonts/

Here is the download link if you would like to try IE 7 beta 2. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/ie7/ie7betaredirect.mspx

india rock

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Fast compared to firefox. plus there is a tab at the top instead of opening 10 pages for 10 sites u just put them there and switch from page to page

kush

Club Cricketer
go to tools>internet options>advance>unselect the clear type box. this helped me get my font back to normal. I thought the font was strange at first so i looked at all the settings and found out that unchecking the cleartype box helps. probably the thing i most hate about ie7 is that sometimes if you exit it while a page loads the browser freezes.

*N.B, you need to restart ie7 for the changes to take place

Attachments

• ie7.JPG
    ie7.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Ste said:
Whats the speed like on it? Compared to Firefox?

I would say firefox is quicker if you do all the speed enhancing stuff. But there not much difference for me as I'm on 2mbps.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
IE7 Beta 2 Reviews

1st of all i think to actually review IE7 with IE6 they should both run on the same machine together so follow this link to run IE7 standalone (beware all features dont work by this method, just the browser)
http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/arc...28/434132.aspx
@Mods: I dont know if this falls under cracking or stuff.. so if u like remove this link.

In case mods removed the above link google "IE7 Standalone" and follow the links.

Here are the reviews

CNET's review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Internet_Exp...1454661-2.html

Softpedia's review:
http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/win...ew-17310.shtml

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Looks pretty similar to Beta 2 Preview, which I uninstalled because it didn't seem to handle my CPU resources properly. The multi-page display is a cool tool, and one which I could see myself using.

If you could do some checking as to how it implements CSS/(Box model) that would be spiffy. :)

usy

Chairman of Selectors
go to tools>internet options>advance>unselect the clear type box. this helped me get my font back to normal. I thought the font was strange at first so i looked at all the settings and found out that unchecking the cleartype box helps. probably the thing i most hate about ie7 is that sometimes if you exit it while a page loads the browser freezes.

*N.B, you need to restart ie7 for the changes to take place

I need help.. I dont have this option and this font is bugging me.. just downloaded now.. it's good exept this font problem.. :(

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I don't have that Clear type option either but there is a different worded one. But that is checked for me and my font is fine. Can't help really as I haven't touched my IE settings.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
well i did'nt change no settings aswell maybe i need to get use to this font. blury through.

cnbd_novice

International Coach
I am not bothered with IE 7 font either, then again I prefer ClearType text.

Usy, as Syl said, the option is there, just worded differently. Go to Tools > Internet Options. Click on the Advanced tab, and go down to the Multimedia section. There, unselect "Always use ClearType for HTML", and restart your browser to take effect. See if that helps:
usyqs3.png

You might also want to read this to learn about ClearType and some tuners that you can use to tune your monitor.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Thank you for your help, it works.

Users who are viewing this thread