Improving Batting Assist for DBC/ playing without circle marker

Would you like an early assist for picking legth to complement non circle marker play as an option

• YES

Votes: 34 64.2%
  • NO

Votes: 19 35.8%

• Total voters

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
When the bowler is in his delivery stride/jump should be the default. Also, there should be a setting how early a user wants to see the length indication. For casual gamers, it can be shown as grkrama showed in his video, and for hardcore gamers there's an option to turn it off altogether.
Yeah that would be right....

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I would have absolutely zero problem picking a shot to 95mph deliveries with the current speed and no markers on at all, if the game would just let me make the shot input when the delivery is halfway finished rather than literally a fraction of a second out of the bowlers hand. This remains the major obstacle to fun batting, for me.
Spot on, there just simply isn't enough time to select footwork + shot selection + shot direction. I don't know how people can bat on legend without any hud :eek:

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Spot on, there just simply isn't enough time to select footwork + shot selection + shot direction. I don't know how people can bat on legend without any hud :eek:
Just try a game at legend without HUD and just watch the ball and play...:D

superfreddie

Club Captain
I think the problem is a number things. Firstly the perfect timing window is way too early in the game, that's probably so the animation can start early and make the shot look good and real. The problem with that is you have to choose what to do a lot earlier than in real life.

Secondly as mentioned before we have too many buttons to press in a short space of time in order to choose a shot and its virtually impossible to change your mind as the ball is coming at you. For example in real life if the ball is coming straight at your wickets on your downswing you are preparing to defend with a straight bat, but if the ball is starting to swing onto your pads you would swing slightly more towards legside and start to twist your wrists to flick off the pads, this change is done without really thinking and takes a fraction of a second on your downswing. But in the game to do this you would have to let go of the defend button and also change the shot direction from straight to left (if right handed batsman), its just not possible and even if you could manage it would be in the late or missed timing window.

So the solution for me is to only have to pick the line during the ball delivery and have an early indication of length as the OP said. I have mentioned a similar system in the Patch 3 thread a while ago.

http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/threads/patch-3-requests-wishlist.90971/reply?quote=2821181

Slowing anything down to help us is a big no no for me too as it will ruin the whole look and feel of the game.

Finally if anyone says they can consistantly select the correct line, foot selection and shot aggression triggers to a 90 mph delivery in the good timing window without premeditating they are either a super computer or are lying.

Last edited:

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors

I've made runs on legend / pro cam / no hud. It's certainly possible. I've got no problem smashing people around the park for 40 or 50, although I get a lot of blobs as well.

But the thing is, shot selection isn't actually all that important in DBC. You can play front foot drives to deliveries that are above waist high and still somehow get them in the middle of the bat. Hitting the right stick towards square leg will produce a run scoring attacking shot regardless of length so you're never in trouble at all on the leg side. You can cut or cover drive balls on the stumps as a high percentage attacking option.

That's the thing. The decision making window is so small against pace that the game can't really punish you too severely for playing the wrong shot or making runs would just be impossible, and that's the difference between being able to overcome batting difficulty with genuine skill, or just gaming the system because you know some shots have a high probability of coming off as long as you're playing the right line.

grkrama

National Board President
Spot on, there just simply isn't enough time to select footwork + shot selection + shot direction. I don't know how people can bat on legend without any hud
Its actually better without hud, give it a try, though close batmsan or pro cam would be required, i use close batsman cam also leave the ball trail on for starters.

you can certainly play on legend if you know what your shots are and who to attack and who to defend, also playing according to the field will make you survive longer, one thing im using is im taking mid stump gaurd what this does it even in occasions im not timing well the inside edges go to my body instead of stumps like if you take the legstump gaurd, this has actually helped me a lot in survival.

Last edited:

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
So the solution for me is to only have to pick the line during the ball delivery and have an early indication of length as the OP said.

I'd say this is worth trying. I honestly feel the fun element is lost at the moment the minute the helmet rating increases in the career mode, well at least for the majority of the people. This might bring some of it back.

Slowing anything down to help us is a big no no for me too as it will ruin the whole look and feel of the game.

Also completely agree with this point. Please don't tamper with the speed. It's good as it is at the moment.

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Agree`s 100 % with the Opening Post.

I`ve had a few chats with @BigAntStudios about the pre-warning a batsmen should be getting once length is "locked in" at the jump , but it seems that its un do able , in this iteration .

So as good as your suggestion is , I think it will only feature in the next iteration .

grkrama

National Board President
I`ve had a few chats with @BigAntStudios about the pre-warning a batsmen should be getting once length is "locked in" at the jump , but it seems that its un do able , in this iteration .
So as good as your suggestion is , I think it will only feature in the next iteration .

just as we are doing a button press the AI will also be having something of the same at the start of runup for choosing delivery length, i dont want something accurate like the circle marker just something that indicates the rough length , it should certainly be possible, it should something of a simple function call up to display a text or indicator basing on whatever option the AI chooses at runup.

Unless ofcourse the way AI bowls is totally alien to what we do.

Hope @BigAntStudios can shed some more light on this. [HASHTAG]#rosstheboss[/HASHTAG] please something on this would be great.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I've taken to playing with no ball aids at all - it forces you to really watch the ball and I find it a lot more satisfying when you manage to crunch one to the boundary. :)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I'd say this is worth trying. I honestly feel the fun element is lost at the moment the minute the helmet rating increases in the career mode, well at least for the majority of the people. This might bring some of it back.

Also completely agree with this point. Please don't tamper with the speed. It's good as it is at the moment.

There is one thing I'd bring up regarding length - seems that on a pitch with any sort of hardness, the ball always goes over the stumps when bowled on a good length; be good if that could be tweaked a bit.

Toecrusher

Club Captain
Building on the suggestion of the OP with something I had suggested a while back in another thread...

I propose a method which tries to bring batsman assists into the game, but doing so in a manner that is reflective of cricket in real life. For instance, the best batsman in the world can read bowlers, pick the length early, and have 'time' to play the ball, so how about this:
  • Batsman assists will be limited to one piece of information about length (short, full, pitched up), and one piece of information about type of delivery (inswinger, leg break, slower ball etc...)
  • The ability of a batsman to 'read' the delivery will depend upon his average, confidence, form, and generally time spent in the middle. So in general, if someone's on a 100, they should be able to pick up the length and delivery type much quicker than someone who has just come in to the crease.
  • The greater the average/confidence/form, the greater the level of assistance, both in terms of information on the ball, as well as the 'advance warning time' at which that info is presented. So for instance an average batsman batting on 0 will have no assistance (depending on form/confidence etc.), on 25 will get information on delivery type x seconds in advance, on 50 will get info on delivery type and length 1.5x seconds in advance, and on a 100 will get info on delivery type and length 2x seconds in advance.
  • For tailenders, it will be much harder to get the assistance, and they will have to rely on their eye to bat for much longer than a batsman....as in 4x as much confidence/form/time at the crease will be necessary to get the same level of assitance as a batsman. This reflects reality, as tailenders in general dont know how to 'read' slower balls, outswingers, googlys etc. out of a bowlers hand like a batsman would.
  • The ability of the bowlers plays a part in this as well. Batsman assists should be more disguised/delayed the better the bowler is, and depending on their form and confidence as well.
The above will mean that when batting we will stop sticking to a few basic pre-meditated 'bread and butter' shots, and use the full array of shots that the game has to offer.

Also, if implemented well (some sort of sliding scale/matrix setup in the programming), would encourage the right cricketing behaviours all around (reward for building an innings or being in good form, difficulties in batting with tailenders or bowling with partimers etc.), and add another touch of realism to the game.

Benauds appreci

Club Cricketer
Some great ideas there Toecrusher...well presented too...but I don't think they will feature in the next iteration of the game.

vinit85

Club Captain
Great idea Toecrusher, really like it...
Such kind of improvement will definitely move this game towards the real cricket game...
Hope your this idea will be implement soon...
Keep it up...:thumbs

Users who are viewing this thread