India bans English cricketers from practising in India!

That has changed massively in the last 10 years and is something you both won't have seen obviously. You also won't see the changes immediately, it'll be a gradual thing. You only have to look at the likes of Panesar and Bopara coming through to see the start of those changes. I played a large part in helping my old club in London transform itself and across the whole of London access to cricket is at an all time high.

The fact that schools and the education system itself can't afford the land to build cricket pitches is certainly not the ECB's fault. The richer private schools can afford the pitches, and that doesn't fall into the ECB's remit. Theirs is to support external clubs, which they actually do with inner city projects and access to equipment.

ECB worried about IPL infiltration in their own territory? Ha ha ha ha ha ha......:lol Beautiful!

So the actions of the BCCI are based on this cold war with the ECB and not just some random decision. I still stand by the fact that the BCCI should be more proactive in sending Indian young players abroad to play in different conditions to hone their technique, but in this issue, BCCI were forced to react.

P.s: Expecting the "blind support" card to be thrown back onto the table now.:D

Well the issue for the ECB and indeed Ireland is that the ECB, through a deal arranged with Ireland, Wales, Scotland etc have provided them with financial support, access to their domestic competitions and coaching support. Within that falls their contract with Sky which makes up a large part of their revenue.

Where the ECB are worried, and quite rightly I think, is that by allowing the BCCI to send over IPL franchises and use their own television broadcasters they will be in breach of their contract with Sky. Which seems to be the same as the BCCI's contract with star cricket (or whoever it is at the time) wherein the English can not use their own television images and must use the ones provided. Seeing as the BCCI were quite clearly intending to use it for their own broadcasting profits and advertising profits, there is indeed a conflict of interest.

You'll notice Ireland have no complained, seeing as they are pretty much being funded through the very same sky contract that the ecb is passing on to them.

Where the difference is for me, is that I doubt any of the money the BCCI would have been making would have been finding it's way to any of the grass routes systems or indeed Ireland itself. Merely the costs would have been covered for the event in this country, to allow them to continue taking in the profits in their own.

Still, the whole thing is starting to reek of "I know you are, I said you are, but what am I!" :rolleyes

----------

Another point. Doesn't the excuse get trotted out that the Indian players are flogged into the ground with a ridiculous amount of cricket? Well with their domestic structure, their IPL franchises, and their national team playing a million ODI's a year... surely sending them off to Ireland for yet more games that are purely for increasing their revenue streams is just getting ridiculous. No wonder so many Indian players have been struggling for form since they won the world cup, they're being treated like comodities to make money from, not professional atheletes to nurture into providing their best.

ECB worried about IPL infiltration in their own territory? Ha ha ha ha ha ha......:lol Beautiful!

So the actions of the BCCI are based on this cold war with the ECB and not just some random decision. I still stand by the fact that the BCCI should be more proactive in sending Indian young players abroad to play in different conditions to hone their technique, but in this issue, BCCI were forced to react.

P.s: Expecting the "blind support" card to be thrown back onto the table now.:D

Its obvious, think this issue really stems from the stance the ECB had taken at the ICC meeting earlier concerning the the BCCI refusal to use the UDRS. Historically the Indians have been known as reproachful and spiteful, and you my friend by your post above proves that!

Foolish steps taken by BCCI , that shows that their defeat is giving them pain yet also. :clap

That has changed massively in the last 10 years and is something you both won't have seen obviously. You also won't see the changes immediately, it'll be a gradual thing. You only have to look at the likes of Panesar and Bopara coming through to see the start of those changes. I played a large part in helping my old club in London transform itself and across the whole of London access to cricket is at an all time high.

The fact that schools and the education system itself can't afford the land to build cricket pitches is certainly not the ECB's fault. The richer private schools can afford the pitches, and that doesn't fall into the ECB's remit. Theirs is to support external clubs, which they actually do with inner city projects and access to equipment.

I don't doubt that the ECB is making an effort, but i'm not sure if Panesar & Bopara are really linked to it.

As i mentioned before, the only minority that really plays cricket in England are Indians, blacks or mixed raced people like myself or a Ash Cole/Rio Ferdinand don't.

Majority of Asian born brits here support India & Pakistan - so essentially the likes of Bopara, Panesar, Shazad, Solanki, Kabir Ali, Chopra, Patel are the minority brit asian's that have chosen to support & play for england.

With the blacks/mixed raced here sadly, we view cricket the same way how south african blacks view cricket. As an elitist, posh, white man sport. Plus the decline of West Indies as a force has not help because as you would know in the 80s & 90s many black people played for england.

But most black/mixed person born after 1985, even the ones with strong west indian links would go totally for football (some athletics or basketball) because of this view on cricket. And i'm not sure if any amount of development from the ecb is going that change this amogst the current generation.

All I'm saying is what I see at the external clubs. Certainly it's unlikely a whole host of players are going to come through from under priviledged areas, but they certainly are investing money back into the system and the grass routes levels. The image of the game won't change against football, and with our weather and lack of open grass areas in heavily populised areas like London, it's not a surprise where the vast majority of cricket players come from.

Again, with cricketers, like Rugby players, going to Uni to further their education and game is often a norm. Playing for Uni sides can lead to professional contracts, whilst football still very much takes the approach of abandoning all schooling in the hope of making it to the top. Football, as a sport, can be played almost anywhere, and that's where it's strength lies.

Playing for Uni sides can lead to professional contracts, whilst football still very much takes the approach of abandoning all schooling in the hope of making it to the top. Football, as a sport, can be played almost anywhere, and that's where it's strength lies.

Ye this is a key point & difference here between the sports. I went to public high school in manchester & in my 6th form year i went to to the posh Manchester grammar (mike atherton's former school).

I know a lot of black blokes who even play in the championship & league one who didn't finish their GSCE's or didn't do many in high school, because clubs gave them youth pro contracts for those reasons you stated.

At Man grammar that was the first time i saw cricket played at school & we played university teams in the national school cricket competition & i realized only at that level would cricket scouts start offering players pro contracts. You would hardly find a cricketer that wouldn't have good gsce & a-level grades that's for sure :lol

It's a tough one to balance for the ECB I imagine. Obviously they want to increase exposure and not miss out on potential stars from all routes, but at the same time they don't want to throw away money that can also go to helping to develop players who are already on the path.

I had my Middlesex trials every year from 13-17years old and never quite made it to the final cut, but back then it was a case of certain coaches involved in the selection process also being coaches of the local club sides. They invariably went with the kids they trained every week and it was all a bit of sham. These days a lot more of the coaches in the later stages are less invested in their own players and as such able to remain balanced in their assessments. I never really recovered from outbowling and outbatting almost every other U15 in my final trial game but being overlooked for two kids who the selector happen to coach. I drifted away from really working hard at the game from then on, but from what I've seen of some of the talented kids who are at my old club, there's been a huge shift away from that. Also a much larger contingent of British asians playing for the Middlesex youth sides these days than there ever was.

And how many of you will watch the ipl this year?
I've said from the very start that t20 is the devil in disguise, and the ipl is the worse type of evil there is! Ive shown my support to test cricket from the start by never watching a single second of the ipl. But there's no point you all bitching about the bcci then going ahead and watching the ipl.

Eh?

I've not actually watched a ball of the IPL for the last 3 iterations, yet have barely missed a ball of test cricket when it doesn't interfere with work. Watched Pakistan v South Africa 2nd day today as I had the time, superb day of cricket.

And how many of you will watch the ipl this year?
I've said from the very start that t20 is the devil in disguise, and the ipl is the worse type of evil there is! Ive shown my support to test cricket from the start by never watching a single second of the ipl. But there's no point you all bitching about the bcci then going ahead and watching the ipl.

I agree with you brother, most members on this forum outrightly support the IPL, the only way to destroy this evil is by banishing the Indians from the game, as long as it takes until some morality is restored in International cricket. By you not following the Ipl youre doing your part and all credit to you for that, I urge all members to refrain from following the IPL it really is the devil in disguise.

I agree with you brother, most members on this forum outrightly support the IPL, the only way to destroy this evil is by banishing the Indians from the game, as long as it takes until some morality is restored in International cricket. By you not following the Ipl youre doing your part and all credit to you for that, I urge all members to refrain from following the IPL it really is the devil in disguise.

Its purely consumerism. For example, fast food/soft drinks are not good for your health, yet people consume it. Now, it has become an essential (for some, even unavoidable) part of their lives. You can't go around asking people to not consume it. People will show you the middle finger.

Its time to move beyond what's right or wrong. If its really harmful, there will come a time when people stop consuming it and consume the right thing. Same with T20. If its really that bad, people will one day get fed up with it and return back to test cricket. Till then, leave them to consume WHAT THEY WANT!

Users who are viewing this thread