India in South Africa

17 overs 34/2 India!

Some one has to remind them that its not a test match!

a bit better now 51 for 2 off 20, that's a bit better, but you still have tendulkar in

201 is the target now! Last over produced 7 runs which includes one 6 and a single... i.e 4 dot balls!

Its strange to expect four dot balls in last over! Sachin managed to get 50 though he struggled but Dhoni plyed well!

But this small target is never going to be enough! So its going to be a clean sweep for India now loosing all 4 matches i guess!

ZoraxDoom said:
See, Dhoni is a hard hitter. Not a pure batsman. He struggles when bogged down, and can't play short bowling too well. He also struggles on slow low pitches. Either we let him loose at 3, or hold him back in 7. if India requires the keeper to bat anywhere else, then it should be Karthik. Simple as that.

Smith chooses to bat. Interesting.

karthick is not even capable of staying on the wicket and dhoni cannot play short bowling are you kidding me the southafrica bowlers bowl short to
every body except dhoni are you watching the match or what? he will learn
to play more backfoot shots as he evolves he will also play well in slow pitches whats is different between him and other indian batsman is attitude dude.and even if he gets bogged down if he stays he will be near the 100 strike rate mark.i think he can play as a pure batsman at 4 it will be better as he can stay on the wicket take singles and then blast.

Talking about Dhoni,

Well he can be strategic when the team needs to him to be strategic, and aggressive when the team needs to be aggressive and defensive when the team needs to be defensive!

1) For strategic, the match between India and SL where Raina and Dhoni played steadily and Dhoni got his first boundary when he was in 40+ runs and infact it helped India to win!

2) For aggressive, everyone is aware of it!

3) For defensive, India-Pakistan test match where he started off defensively and played an major partnership with Pathan when the team was in danger!

Infact he played exceptinally well today while others struggled including Sachin!

But at the same time, its not fair to say that he is a pro player! He is in beginning stage i.e learning stage! The platform is well set for him! He has to learn many things in differnt pitch conditions like Windies slow pitches ( in which we had a horrible trip in ODIs ), Aussies & NZ pitches and finally English pitches!

If he can bat well in all these pitches, then he definitely has the amazing future, may be like Tendulkar also ,who knows ;)

wfdu_ben91 said:
India are batting aren't they? The scorecard reads Sachin Tendulkar 4 runs off 39 balls.
Yup, my bad there. Was in a hurry.

India is know a disgrace. They were a fighting unit, all I've seen of them this series is a bunch of chickens.

Sehwag - He does it over and over again. I swear, If I were Chappell and saw Sehwag get out like this one more time, he's back to domestic cricket. Talented he is, awesome on his day, but he needs to realise that not every pitch is flat. Poor stuff. All series.
Sachin - Excellent. Stuck through the tough times, until that injured arm got him out. Great stuff, we need more stuff like this.
Laxman - Hmm. He is classy, I like him, bit unlucky to go first ball. Has a good technique, but this was just a stupid shot. He knows better, he knows he knows better. Hopefully he is kicking himself and will do better.
Mongia - Couldn't get bat on ball, struggled, but fought it through. Good stuff throughout the series. Well, not really. His technique was shoddy, he is out of form, but he had that fighting spirit throught. That's waht we needed.
Dhoni - They let him loose, it paid off. Still looke uncomfortable whilst trying to hit out against the shorter stuff. His dismissal was terrible. Would have been better off just backing away and lofting over the offside or running it down to third man. But all in all, showed the fighting spirit and determination. Good.
Karthik - Cheeky stuff. He is talented, no doubt. But he can do better if he applies himself. But he went out there today, said I'll do anything to get runs, and tried. Didn't look scared or intimidated. Good.
Pathan -Poor shot. Looked like he was wating for the short ball. Was scared.
Bhajji - Nice shot, bad placement.
Zaheer - He showed everyone how to bat. Straight bat, down the ground. Dhoni, Karthik and Viru could profit from watching that. Even Raina and Kaif.
Kumble - Beh

Bowling:
Zaheer - Got no rythm early on. Kept changing his angles. Poor stuff. He is better.
Sreesanth - I liked him, I liked him alot. But of late, he just hasn't been thinking. The way he bowls is fine ofr a test, or with the old ball. But when you've got the new ball, just keep it straight. Why keep experimenting?? In tests, giving runs may be fine, not in ODIs. He is just too aggressive for his own good.
Pathan - Maybe he could be a pure batsman?
Bhajji - Bowled well. Had no support, like he did for the rest of the year.
Kumble - Pretty ok, just the pitch didn't suit him too much. That batsmen went beserk by then, tough job, could have done well if he wasn't trying to keep the runs down.

We need Ganguly back. Zaheer just looked scared of getting hit for a few more boundaries by De Villiers, and changed his line. Pathan has looked lost throughout. Ganguly has that ability to revive the whole team, we need him.

South Africa complete the whitewash. I expected them to win, but not in this humiliating way. A bit of comfort for India was that South Africa only won with nine wickets.

I think the team seriously needs a big boost in their confidence. I am just praying that Ganguly gives it. He is the only hope now of saving this tour! Whatever his shortcomings may be against quality pace bowling, you cant just refrain from saying that his presence is going to change the atmosphere in the dressing room. In some way or the other, the team is going to change with his presence. Either they will be inspired to do well since he is in their midst, or they will be forced to do well since he is in their midst!

Poor performance again from us. When one department clicks, the other department desperately fails. Not that our batting clicked today, but at least we lasted 50 overs and Sachin got some sort of runs behind him this tour. Dhoni has been doing well but that 55 and 44 were on batting tracks. Still credit to him because he has been scoring them when others have been performing so horribly! Zaheer has to maintain the consistency, but one match lets forgive him. He has been superb this tour!

I hope the test matches are a different story. Just like how it was in the West Indies when we lost all but a single ODI but came back pretty strongly to beat the West Indies 1-0. The South Africans are 100 times better than the West Indies but we as Indian fans, can atleast pray that the same result happens in this disastrous African safari! I think 1996-97 was the worst. This is turning out to be even worse!

this is just embarrassing.....
200 is a lowly score, no doubt. But to lose by 9 wickets??
Laxman, 1st ball, cmon mate...
Well, looking ahead to the tests there is one positive thing coming from the ODI's, WE CAN"T GET ANY WORSE!! :happy

Cricketman93 said:
Well, looking ahead to the tests there is one positive thing coming from the ODI's, WE CAN"T GET ANY WORSE!! :happy

In Tests we have been maintaing the good form though not in ODIs! Even in Windies we did well!

I am really worried about the confidence level! Indians have to boost their confidence and shd be mentally strong to face the quality SA's pace in Tests!

They need confidence. They all have the talent to do so, but without confidence, it is nothing.

I saw flashes of the winning runs in Headlines Today (Indian news channel that is shown in the US). Everyone looked so dejected...
Maybe Ganguly can bring that confidence back, under the leadership of laxman :)

LETS GO TEAM INDIA CLEAN SWEEP IN TESTS!!!

Cricketman93 said:
this is just embarrassing.....
200 is a lowly score, no doubt. But to lose by 9 wickets??
Laxman, 1st ball, cmon mate...

We could get worse buddy! Test matches are unlike ODI's. You have more bouncers in the test matches. More attacking fields throughout the match. And South Africans are unlike the Windies. So lets see what happens.

Cricketman93 said:
I saw flashes of the winning runs in Headlines Today (Indian news channel that is shown in the US). Everyone looked so dejected...
Maybe Ganguly can bring that confidence back, under the leadership of laxman :)

LETS GO TEAM INDIA CLEAN SWEEP IN TESTS!!!

Thats my only hope. I also want Dravid to be fit for the first test. Here would be my team for the first test match

Wasim Jaffer
Virender Sehwag
VVS Laxman
Sachin Tendulkar
Rahul Dravid
Saurav Ganguly
MS Dhoni
Anil Kumble
Zaheer Khan
S Sreesanth
Munaf Patel (or) VRV Singh (If Munaf isnt 100% fit)

This would be a rock solid team! I am confident that even with Rahul Dravid fit, Saurav would find a place in the eleven. Dinesh Karthick has been decent, but Saurav would be better for the eleven. Also, Saurav would give us the fifth bowling option and since the wickets are expected to be seaming ones, Saurav's medium pace bowling would be quite helpful on the seaming wickets! Also Vengsarkar has already hinted that India might be playing 6 batsman (excluding Dhoni) to strengthen their batting. And he also said Saurav's bowling would be the fifth bowling option. So I think Dravid or no Dravid, Ganguly has 99% chances of playing the first test!

Last edited:
VRV OH NO. He doesn't have any control what so ever! I'd still think we could use Irfan.
And dhoni keeping again, meh
I highly Doubt Dravid will play the 1st test, and that too give up his loved 1 down slot.

My Team
Sehwag
Jaffer
Laxman (C)
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Dhoni
KKD (KEEPER)
Pathan
Kumble
Zaheer
Munaf

Tendulkar's medium pacers would be quite handy here :). I want him to be utilized more as an Allrounder than Sehwag.

Bowling order
Pathan
Zaheer
Munaf
Kumble
Tendu
Gangu
Viru

I don't think Sreesanth fits in the Test team. Pathan should play, whether he is in form or not.

And somebody lives here in Kolkata? If so, can he post the pictures of the burnings that probably will happen tomorrow. ;) You can imagine now all the 'analysts' in television programs in India talking about this.

Users who are viewing this thread