India in South Africa

Sehwag being dropped is out of the picture, a bad series is not a reason a batsman with some of the greatest innings in cricket...

But Bad form is. I'm not saying forever, just till he sorts things out. Look at Zaheer...

Zaheer's problem is lack of confidence which can be sorted with match practise. Sehwag is hoarded by loads of weaknesses which can be solved with net practise rather than getting duck after duck at any other level.

Viru's is poor confidence too. Just read my last post. If you've seen his 190 in Australia and the Trafford 100, it looks like a whole different bat.

Sehwag can still bat but he's in one of those bad trots that every batsman goes through (except Hussey) but i'd suggets that he be moved into the middle order and away from the new ball until his form takes a turn for the better. You can't drop a player of Sehwag's class. Open with Dravid and Gambhir and both Sehwag and India will be better off.

Maybe change Sehwag's position depending on the situation. If you need an injection of runs at a certain time send him in, open if you want a quick intimidating start or have him wreack havoc at 7 with Dhoni at the end of an innings.

Sehwag's problem is with his approach. When you are not in good form, you got to cut out the risky shots and look to get the scoreboard ticking and at the same time, grow in confidence. But Sehwag just plainly refuses to do this. He very often tries the utter risky shots everytime he comes out to bat. He calls this 'his natural game' (he is right in saying so!) but when you want to attain something, you got to give up something. Who knows, it could be just for a temporary period and then you can get back to your natural game.

Sehwag needs a break for sure. India need a break from him too. The next test match is very very important. If India lose it, it would hurt us the most. I would say lets try Gambhir. Jaffer and Gambhir can open. And why did Dravid not try Laxman at No.3 yesterday. I was hoping Dravid would try something different. I know Dravid got a rough decision, but still he could have tried something different. Also, Sachin could have been shielded on the 4th day evening and a nightwatchman could have been sent in (Kumble) because the players know that bad light was anytime around the corner! This way, if the nightwatchman had survived Day 4, then Sachin would not have played the morning of Day 5 against Ntini's fire.

Its things like these which make a difference.

I think it will be a toss up between Harbhajan and Munaf for Cape Town. I dont think India would tinker with the 6 batsmen - 4 bowlers formula since their batting is still shaky and needs all the 6 batters!

P.s: Dada needs to score good runs at Cape Town. He cant rest on the laurels of his first test match runs!

Last edited:
What the patrackus! Dang India lost? How'd it happen?

Oh well, I hope we can win at Cape Town!

Smith says 'Cape Town is one among their hunting grounds'.

Come on Smith, we are now well aware of your mind game tactics! And, did Ganguly indulge in verbal duel with the South African players yesterday? I saw Nel mouthing something off in Ganguly's direction. Then, Ganguly very angrily was shouting something (may be to himself?) after missing a delivery. And after his dismissal, Gibbs pointed the way to the dressing room!

If true, then he is on the right track. Dada plays his game the best, with aggression. He should play that way. He has succeeded with aggression! I want to see that aggressive Dada back!

Sehwag can still bat but he's in one of those bad trots that every batsman goes through (except Hussey) but i'd suggets that he be moved into the middle order and away from the new ball until his form takes a turn for the better. You can't drop a player of Sehwag's class. Open with Dravid and Gambhir and both Sehwag and India will be better off.
Exactly what I've been trying to say. Dravid shouldn't be worried about opening, his like a 3rd opener anyway and with a 3rd opener is virturally just expecting for one of you're actual openers to go out earlier which is a negative.

Jaffer
Dravid
Laxman
Tendulkar
Sehwag
Ganguly
Dhoni
Harbhajan
Kumble
Zaheer
Sreesanth

Just saw Dilip Vengsarkar's interview in Headlines Today!

Q : About Pitch
A : There was no doubt that it was a excellent batting wkt but our Indian batters failed to stay for 70 overs. lower order played well but Top order disappointed us.

Q : About Sehwag
A : He is in bad form atm. He is struggling a lots... Getting out in same way making us to disappoint us.

Q :
About Changes in Team
A : Well, i have to talk to Dravid and Coach and have to decide after that only.

Q : Prediction about next game?
A : We should and we will win this game.

This was what he told to media. I guess, abt replacements, since he told that he shd talk to Dravid and Coach, Sehwag might retain the same opening slot! This is what i feel actually!

Well, also it wud be interesting to see whether Bhaji wud get priority or Munaf wud ger priority becos of the turning wicket. No doubts that Kumble will and shd play!

if irfan can be sent home why cant sehwag. pathan has done more with the bat in one game than sehwag has done almost the whole series. all hes done is play dumb shots and hes gotten out the same way. all wktkprs in the world prlly get ready to catch when he starts playin cause thats all he has done. we could have a mentally challenged opener next time and he would prlly score more than sehwag.

saisrini80 said:
Sehwag needs a break for sure. India need a break from him too. The next test match is very very important. If India lose it, it would hurt us the most. I would say lets try Gambhir. Jaffer and Gambhir can open. And why did Dravid not try Laxman at No.3 yesterday. I was hoping Dravid would try something different. I know Dravid got a rough decision, but still he could have tried something different. Also, Sachin could have been shielded on the 4th day evening and a nightwatchman could have been sent in (Kumble) because the players know that bad light was anytime around the corner! This way, if the nightwatchman had survived Day 4, then Sachin would not have played the morning of Day 5 against Ntini's fire.

It is worrying that there is not a lot of creativity shown by Dravid. He could have tried a few things since the Jaffer Sehwag opening pair has not been working out for quiet some time starting from the ODIs. As a few people suggested could have moved Sehwag to the middle order and Dravid could have opened with Jaffer/Gambhir. I would have preferred Gambhir as a right left combination will upset the rhythm of the SA opening bowlers. Then could have sent Laxman one down. Sehwag is an unorthodox batsman who has scored a lot of runs and won many games for India with his aggressive batting. It may not be good to banish him at this point or to force him to change his batting style to bat like Dravid/Laxman etc.

Also during fielding there is a time to attack and there is a time to Defend. With the old ball in the first Innings Dravid was over aggressive with his field placings and a lot of runs were given in the third man and fine leg area. Some runs saved at this point could have made a significant difference.

I too think Sehwag will be given one final chance in tomorrow's game.

Fail, and his head will be cut off (i.e. his place in the team wont be 'his' anymore). It will have a bearing on his World Cup plans and with that of India's too. So if Sehwag is given the chance tomorrow, he will be under tremendous pressure to succeed.

surendar said:
Q : Prediction about next game?
A : We should and we will win this game.

Too high hopes early on. Let the game start, Mr. Dilip! We have let South Africa in at Durban. Now we are going to find it tough at Cape Town!

Users who are viewing this thread