India in the West Indies

he played in the 2001 test series i believe...I remember Kumble, who was injured terribly (fracture) but he bravely bowled 10 odd overs..to get rid of Lara.

MAJID-A said:
Gayle is very dangerous, when Pak toured in 2005 he was awesome. The only problem was that he scored well yet he didn't win his team any games, he just couldn't play the role of the finisher. India are definitely favourites because I don't see any WI bowlers tying the Indian team down.

It will be interesting to see what bowling line up the West Indies go with. If all their bowlers are available they aren't such a bad side.

rocklara said:
um, let me correct u ice man, Lara has played against India both home and away. He played em in 1994 in India and then at home in the 1997 series where he won his first test as captain by 39 runs in B'dos. Has only had a topscore of 104 in the Antigua test, but if he has found his touch which has evaded him for a while, the runs may again flow for him in the upcoming 2006 series....

I should apologize as that is not what i meant to say.
I wanted to say that Lara has not had a big score against India.You have pointed that out in your post as well with a high score of 104.
What i wanted to put down was that Lara has not played against India when he was in his element.That is the Indians have never had to face Lara's wrath before.
Sri Lanka has been at the recieving end of Lara's bat,same with England,Australia and Pakistan.Except India he has really scored against other oppostions. :cool:

And yes, who can forget that Barbados test where we could'nt chase 121 for a win.

iceman_waugh said:
I should apologize as that is not what i meant to say.
I wanted to say that Lara has not had a big score against India.You have pointed that out in your post as well with a high score of 104.
What i wanted to put down was that Lara has not played against India when he was in his element.That is the Indians have never had to face Lara's wrath before.
Sri Lanka has been at the recieving end of Lara's bat,same with England,Australia and Pakistan.Except India he has really scored against other oppostions. :cool:

And yes, who can forget that Barbados test where we could'nt chase 121 for a win.

oh ok then Waugh, understood...

India is very strong Side and they are playing in godd form too.so i think india will win both test and ODI's.it'll be interesting to see how Sehwag plays in WI.coz the pitches there aint good batting and slow outfield.
anyways i think BD bowling is better then WI.and u can win test matches if ur bowling is strong.

aziz_4_ever2003 said:
India is very strong Side and they are playing in godd form too.so i think india will win both test and ODI's.it'll be interesting to see how Sehwag plays in WI.coz the pitches there aint good batting and slow outfield.
anyways i think BD bowling is better then WI.and u can win test matches if ur bowling is strong.
Sehwag should play well in WI, the ball comes on to the bat quite well, and though you may find uneven bounce and green top, Sehwag has played quite well abroad....remember his knocks in England, Australia, SA, and NZ to some extent.

India will need Tendulkar though, if they want a comprehensive win in the tests.

ODI's are a different issue, and the current team sans tendulkar and few others can match any team in the world.

Most people will have an eye on the faster bowlers, Pathan, and who ever the other bowler is.

do not be over confident here

even aus best team in the world strugling badly in bangladesh

indeed, you can't take things for granted.
I'm sure India will be aware of that, from past experiences.

I think RP Singh should concentrate more on his bouncing & out-swinging deliveries than that in-swinging one, because that way, he will become different than Irfan Pathan! And also, VRV Singh, alongwith RP, have been bowling very well in the Eurasia cup for India A, infact VRV is the leading wicket-taker in the series!!! There is a very bright future for the Indian Cricket Team! :)

viral1991 said:
I agree, and their one major problem is consistency. Yes, their players are capable of destroying India, but nothing more than capable!

Some of these comments suggest that India is not going to do well in the forth coming series against West Indies. If we just look at the ODIs, the last time India traveled to West Indies in 2002 India won the series 2-1. West Indies had a good team at that time with Hooper as the captain, with Lara, Gayle and others. West Indies have been struggling since then whereas India as a team has improved in all departments in the one day games. India is 3rd in ICC ODI rankings whereas West Indies is in the 8th place. So I do not know why there is so much pessimism. India may miss Tendulkar and also in the young team for players who have not stayed outside the country for long it would be a new experience. But this is what they will be facing during the World Cup and so should be a good learning experience. There could be a few hiccups but still India should do well.

Zaheer Khan seems to be in very good form at the English county. I still believe he is a very good bowler, and has atleast 5 years for India. He did quite well against Pakistan in the test series but he was kicked out b/c of his ODI performance...something that defies logic. I hope the selectors get it right this time, yes its good to try new bowlers...but when Khan is in good form, you have to pick him.

cricket_lover said:
Zaheer Khan seems to be in very good form at the English county. I still believe he is a very good bowler, and has atleast 5 years for India. He did quite well against Pakistan in the test series but he was kicked out b/c of his ODI performance...something that defies logic. I hope the selectors get it right this time, yes its good to try new bowlers...but when Khan is in good form, you have to pick him.

The thing with Zaheer is, he does well in domestic or county cricket but then gets back to his old bad ways when in intl. cricket. The last time he came into the Indian team, he didnt do well. Before that, he was doing so well in domestic cricket (best remembered for those twin ducks of Saurav ganguly when tension was at its peak regarding Saurav's place in the team).

Zaheer needs to regain his fitness (lose weight) and regain his pace (he is bowling a lot slower than he normally used to!). At his prime, he is my favorite fast bowler (and the favorite of the person in my avtar too!)

saisrini80 said:
The thing with Zaheer is, he does well in domestic or county cricket but then gets back to his old bad ways when in intl. cricket. The last time he came into the Indian team, he didnt do well. Before that, he was doing so well in domestic cricket (best remembered for those twin ducks of Saurav ganguly when tension was at its peak regarding Saurav's place in the team).

Zaheer needs to regain his fitness (lose weight) and regain his pace (he is bowling a lot slower than he normally used to!). At his prime, he is my favorite fast bowler (and the favorite of the person in my avtar too!)
Well, who told you that he did not bowl well? He was the leading wicket taker, even on placid pitches in pakistan...for the test series. Not even Pathan or Kumble came close.

Test matches are different to ODI's, if u don't do well in ODI's, you don't deserve to play in ODI's...it has nothing to do with your test performance.

Zaheer picked couple of 5 wic. hauls so far, with his moderate pace. The problem is, he has to play for a while to regain his pace...playing in domestic cricket and practicing in nets won't do the trick.

If he isn't fit...he wouldn't pick up that many wickets in county so far....

Users who are viewing this thread