India Team Discussion

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/4028658/

Ban these uncaring players I say! Leaving their team to be forced to field support staff as fielders? Utterly pathetic!

Ban the uncaring teams like New Zealand who refuse to even play prestigious warm-ups I say! While we’re at it, also ban South Africa for trying to circumvent the prestigious warm-up etiquette by playing an intra-squad friendly I say!

You are taking to a different level altogether. Australia has chosen to rest their entire IPL squadron. Had India opted to do so, it would have been fine. But the mere fact that you ask for a warm-up and then allow players to pick and choose, is simply not on. Furthermore, in Virat's case, if he wanted rest, could have rested himself from the IPL. Why clamour for national selection and then choose not to play?

In India's case, to have variable rules for Kohli over others is unacceptable. I dont think there's a valid reason for missing the game vs Bangladesh.

The individual boards have the right to play/not to play. Hence, you see NZ denying a game. SA too!
My solution to the paternity leave issue is that every Indian player called up for the first time should get a vasectomy done by a BCCI approved surgeon to avoid such pesky and trivial issues of childbirth. Once they’re retired they can think of families and get it reversed, how does that sound eh? :goggle:
Again, you are taking it to a different level here. No one is asking for vasectomies here. All I have been asking for is common ground. If it is paternity leave, mandate that the player may miss up to # test matches. You cannot have different rules for different players. We have seen the gulf between Kohli and Umesh's leaves. Mandate 15 days or whatever, let everyone have the same benefits.

You are taking to a different level altogether. Australia has chosen to rest their entire IPL squadron. Had India opted to do so, it would have been fine. But the mere fact that you ask for a warm-up and then allow players to pick and choose, is simply not on. Furthermore, in Virat's case, if he wanted rest, could have rested himself from the IPL. Why clamour for national selection and then choose not to play?

In India's case, to have variable rules for Kohli over others is unacceptable. I dont think there's a valid reason for missing the game vs Bangladesh.

The individual boards have the right to play/not to play. Hence, you see NZ denying a game. SA too!

Again, you are taking it to a different level here. No one is asking for vasectomies here. All I have been asking for is common ground. If it is paternity leave, mandate that the player may miss up to # test matches. You cannot have different rules for different players. We have seen the gulf between Kohli and Umesh's leaves. Mandate 15 days or whatever, let everyone have the same benefits.

I can’t argue with that, I’ve made a similar point on how certain players do get treated slightly differently compared to the rest but I really don’t think there should be criticism of Kohli in these specific instances. I don’t remember him asking to be picked for the WC.

In addition, it isn’t just him. Both Hardik and Samson are also supposed to arrive later than the rest and Samson’s reason was supposed to be personal work. Doesn’t sound like Kohli having different rules to everyone else and given that Kohli’s request was well in advance… I don’t see the controversy around it. The other important thing is that the original author is notoriously infamous for stirring the pot with baseless rumours, I’d take whatever they say with a teaspoon of salt.

My point with the warmups was that they really don’t matter. The only reason why the BCCI is doing one (and I’m pretty sure it’s the only one televised too) is for non-cricket reasons. No one really takes them seriously these days in any format.

There were unsubstantiated rumours that there were issues with the childbirth which is what caused Kohli’s extended absence. Speculating on it seems disrespectful in all honesty. I’m still not sure why you can’t believe that most sportspeople, especially the elite ones absolutely hate missing games and especially big ones like a home test series against England. Can’t really agree with you on that especially when fifteen days is ludicrously short for paternity leave as a standard practice.

Mandate 15 days or whatever, let everyone have the same benefits.
Is it possible that you're equating playing a sport to a corporate job that demands a set of rules that are set in stone? As far as I'm concerned leave of absence for family/personal reason ought to be at a player's discretion and it indeed is the case. While some players opt for smaller leaves while others take longer. Only the player affected will know what's the best option for him/her. From the outside it's all speculation. So you can't say, "Okay, paternity leave - 10 days max and you're be back". That only works when it's a job (as in the ones you and I do).

Is it possible that you're equating playing a sport to a corporate job that demands a set of rules that are set in stone? As far as I'm concerned leave of absence for family/personal reason ought to be at a player's discretion and it indeed is the case. While some players opt for smaller leaves while others take longer. Only the player affected will know what's the best option for him/her. From the outside it's all speculation. So you can't say, "Okay, paternity leave - 10 days max and you're be back". That only works when it's a job (as in the ones you and I do).

This does remind me of when I compared the fiasco between KLR and Goenka to the corporate equivalent and @icyman brought up a similar argument as to how those two situations are incomparable because one is a sport. Wonder why he’s changed his stance now.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/4028658/

Ban these uncaring players I say! Leaving their team to be forced to field support staff as fielders? Utterly pathetic!

Ban the uncaring teams like New Zealand who refuse to even play prestigious warm-ups I say! While we’re at it, also ban South Africa for trying to circumvent the prestigious warm-up etiquette by playing an intra-squad friendly I say!
Ban @World Cricket Conference for forcing us to play warm ups.

Virat always prided himself on being a professional and athlete, missing a warm up game is not acceptable

In addition, it isn’t just him. Both Hardik and Samson are also supposed to arrive later than the rest and Samson’s reason was supposed to be personal work. Doesn’t sound like Kohli having different rules to everyone else and given that Kohli’s request was well in advance… I don’t see the controversy around it.

Unlike Virat, Hardik and Samson don't keep asking for breaks every few matches. The controversy around Kohli being that he takes his India spot for granted, knowing full well that he can't be dropped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlike Virat, Hardik and Samson don't keep asking for breaks every few matches. The controversy around Kohli being that he takes his India spot for granted, knowing full well that he can't be dropped.

Don't agree with this, especially for VK. He doesn't care what games he misses for the country. He missed the Australia series for the birth of his first born, the England one for his 2nd born.

Compare this with his early days- he turned up on the field the day his father died. Hypocrisy at its best. Probably wanted sympathy which he got at that point in time. People use that as his dedication for the game. Remember, he was trying to make a name for himself and he succeeded with that little gimmick. Now that he has established himself he doesn't really care about all this. Had he been fighting for a spot, he would have played all games in Australia and England.

I'll leave it here for this who want to debate further, but the man has gone down a few notches for me. Using one's father's death as a stepping stone is downright disgusting.
Chill out @icyman

It's honestly a waste of your time (and everyone else) to wildly speculate about motivations of individuals, particularly making such insensitive accusations.

Ironic, considering we did better than India in most T20 World Cups, including the last two. Maybe your team management should do a better job.
If you want to isolate one format, be my guest. Overall though, I believe we've done a far stellar job across formats.

I agree we have no trophies to show, but the dominance is prevalent in bilaterals and 50 over CWCs.

If you want to isolate one format, be my guest. Overall though, I believe we've done a far stellar job across formats.

I agree we have no trophies to show, but the dominance is prevalent in bilaterals and 50 over CWCs.
Nah was just responding in the same tone :p

You want 2 people like Gambhir fighting it out ? :p

Given their lax attitude towards recruitment, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the proxies actually gets called up for the interview.

In terms of opportunities in cricket, for those interested, here are a few that are open though.

@SaiSrini @ShamiLoverGlipGlops USA Cricket Chief Exec?

1716951615002.png

You want 2 people like Gambhir fighting it out ? :p

Given their lax attitude towards recruitment, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the proxies actually gets called up for the interview.

In terms of opportunities in cricket, for those interested, here are a few that are open though.

@SaiSrini @ShamiLoverGlipGlops USA Cricket Chief Exec?

View attachment 294938
I like a good story, USA is going to dominate world cricket already, would prefer a job in China :p

Users who are viewing this thread