India Team Discussion

Few years back I think a lot us agreed and discussed on how Shreyas Iyer could potentially be a full time limited overs captain.

But his glaring issues against short pitched bowling by quality pacers have been heavily exploited which resulted in dip to his form and even getting sidelined from the side.

He might get away with that in flat subcontinent pitches but wherever there will be little bit of bounce he will be exposed.

Gambhir will get in a team to manage his workload. If I am not mistaken, Abhishek Nayar will come in either as batting/ Assistant Coach.

Furthermore, the gap between the 2 shouldn't be a concern. Rohit has shown that he acts well around the likes of Zaheer and Mahela in MI, MSD and Fleming have done well too. there's no reason why he shouldn't get along well with Gambhir. In 2011, we had Kirsten who had played alongside SRT at one point in time.

The major issue is the Kohli v Gambhir scenario. Virat needs to give the coach respect here. He ought to know that he is at the fag end of his career and should only concentrate on the longer format. The way the game is changing plus the way he has been batting doesn't evoke confidence/ excitement in the shorter formats of the game.

As for the captain, I agree with @WubbaLubbaDubDub -either Shreyas of Jasprit will take over full time. Rohit will probably step aside after the Tests vs Australia later this year. Personally, I have never been fond of Rohit, the test captain and still feel that India needs a better head when it comes to this format. Anyhow, am looking forth to seeing how Gambhir re-designs the 3 sides and whether we can simultaneously dominate in all formats or not.

Jay Shah has just confirmed that Rohit will lead India in the WTC final if we qualify. So Rohit is staying as test captain well into next year.

Gambhir, Nayar, Balaji/Zaheer, T Dilip and Ryan ten Doeschate.

This seems to be the make of the Indian coaching setup. Nayar will be elevated to an Assistant Coach, wherein I suppose he will take charge of the T20 teams to a large extent. Remains to be seen who among Balaji or Zaheer is roped in. Balaji seems to be the hot faovurite, especially after turning down the Tamil Nadu offer.

From a lot of media sources, seems that T Dilip will continue his role as the fielding coach. Although, Gambhir had initially asked for Rhodes, there's no clarity on his commitment + the BCCI is in favour of Dilip continuing. As for ten Doeschate, remains to be seen in what role/ capacity he may be considered. That said, one thing is certain, KKR aren;t going to be a happy lot seeing as they will have lost Gambhir, Nayar and RTD in a quick span. But hey, they seem to be getting Dravid there.

Lastly, VVS Laxman too, is expected to vacate the NCA. I firmly believed he wasn't the right person for the role anyway. The front runner seems to be Vikram Rathour again, not a great choice. To be fair, the one person, who will make a difference to the NCA will be someone like R Ashwin- he, however, is yet to retire from the game, but as a future head, one cannot rule him out.

Why change the batting coach all of a sudden why is Vikram Rathour leaving considering what India have done in the last 4 years

Why change the batting coach all of a sudden why is Vikram Rathour leaving considering what India have done in the last 4 years
You gotta be kidding me! What on earth has Rathour done? Ever since he took over, the scoring has gone down. The bating unit has capitulated time and again against quality pacers and unknown spinners. Vikram Rathour replacing Bangar was one of the worst decisions taken by the board. Add to that, he wasn't Dravid's first choice as batting coach. Check every 1st game of a series, the batting has been a let down. It was only in the aftermath of the WT20 2022 that Rohit Sharma started giving quick starts to the team. This is what paved the way for the rest to bat as they were.

Also, whenever a new coach comes in, the BCCI usually gives him the right to choose his team. This is good, cause otherwise you have mere nobodies like the CAC who will do the needful.

Damm it Messi is very likely to win another copa America tournament today, so India and Kholi must win the champions trophy next year for Kholi to be the best ever sportsman.

Plus he has the blessing from so "non-interfering ruling party".
That is all my parents can make out from this decision to make gg the coach. Lol like leave aside politics for once id believe this is a good move for India regardless of the motive

That is all my parents can make out from this decision to make gg the coach. Lol like leave aside politics for once id believe this is a good move for India regardless of the motive

Mate, sport is inherently political. Denying that is incredibly naïve.

Mate, sport is inherently political. Denying that is incredibly naïve.
I meant forget about the political aspect. I m not denying that motive. But saying who cares , because the result is not bad. Gambhir as coach is a good thing for India now. So i don’t care whether it came politically or how. In this case alone. Of course it would matter if politics got an undeserving candidate in. Not the case here tho
Post automatically merged:

Also of course in the long term politics to bring a guy in is a bad thing, even if the result is good- but I’m saying let’s forget that aspect this time as India is getting the ideal coach some way or the other.

I meant forget about the political aspect. I m not denying that motive. But saying who cares , because the result is not bad. Gambhir as coach is a good thing for India now. So i don’t care whether it came politically or how. In this case alone. Of course it would matter if politics got an undeserving candidate in. Not the case here tho
Post automatically merged:

Also of course in the long term politics to bring a guy in is a bad thing, even if the result is good- but I’m saying let’s forget that aspect this time as India is getting the ideal coach some way or the other.

I have to disagree on that on the simple basis of “what defines deserving or undeserving” but any further discussion would be wildly off-topic. :D

In any case Gambhir’s credentials are still… not as solid to the point that he is an ideal candidate regardless. I have no doubt that he can be a success given his passion and tactical acumen but at the end of the day they’re appointing a bloke who has never held an official job as a coach anywhere (unless he coached some youth team that I’m unaware of) and his experience off the field is limited to being a mentor for two IPL sides irrespective of how much farther his role extended in reality. It is a massive risk given the job’s nature as the toughest in world cricket.

In any case Gambhir’s credentials are still… not as solid to the point that he is an ideal candidate regardless. I have no doubt that he can be a success given his passion and tactical acumen but at the end of the day they’re appointing a bloke who has never held an official job as a coach anywhere (unless he coached some youth team that I’m unaware of) and his experience off the field is limited to being a mentor for two IPL sides irrespective of how much farther his role extended in reality. It is a massive risk given the job’s nature as the toughest in world cricket.

I think the BCCI has been picking a left field option since John Wright left the role. Greg Chappell, who has worked with some Australians at a junior level was roped in, on the insistence of the then captain Ganguly. Post Chappell, the only coach they actually selected was Graham Ford (who never actually took on the role, twice). Duncan Fletcher was an abomination who was put in charge cause they didn't want anyone over powering MSD then.

Ravi Shastri too, had no prior coaching experience. The Gambhir era might be similar to Shastri in that sense. Both head strong characters who will have their way. The Shastri era got away scot free, as the BCCI was then administered by the Supreme Court.

Users who are viewing this thread