India tour of South Africa - 2013/14

Atharv

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned

----------

However, I really feel we should have gone for Gambhir instead of Raydu.

It will be extremely difficult, almost impossible, for Gambhir to make a comeback in the Indian team . He needs more than a single century and also other players like Dhawan and Rahane have to fail consistently before he can get back into the Indian team.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
In fact, Rayudu is a better bat than Gambhir for tests and deserves his place.

Am I missing something ? I don't see how Rayudu deserves this opportunity ?

He has played 4 ODIs, so has no international experience.

His first class average is around 45. Even though Last year he had a Ranji average of 60+ he only scored 1 century, while scoring 7 50s.
Did not exactly set the stage on fire in the India A tour of SAF - 2 50s in 6 innings overall

So nothing to suggest that he has the temperament for playing long innings.

Confusing ..

Atharv

Club Cricketer
Why Raina in one days and not Pujara, I will never ever in my life will understand. :facepalm

I don't think Pujara will play ODI's for India anymore(he has played 2 thus far) .
Reason - He has a dodgy knee . He has already had a operation for it . In ODI's he will be a liability on field . I wonder why fantastic players like VVS and Pujara don't take physical fitness a bit more seriously :D .

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
That is how every one start their career? :spy Plus even the greats started with no experience.. #Logic

----------

I don't think Pujara will play ODI's for India anymore(he has played 2 thus far) .
Reason - He has a dodgy knee . He has already had a operation for it . In ODI's he will be a liability on field . I wonder why fantastic players like VVS and Pujara don't take physical fitness a bit more seriously :D .

So all those years he had a dodgy knee yet he can last 2 days in test cricket. :p

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
That is how every one start their career? :spy Plus even the greats started with no experience.. #Logic

----------

So all those years he had a dodgy knee yet he can last 2 days in test cricket. :p

Logically, you are correct :P

But this is going to be a test of the highest level - playing the #1 test team in the most alien conditions possible. And like I said, his first class average isn't exactly flattering. Average of 45 on Indian wickets :spy:

Anyways, I doubt he will be making his debut against Saffers. So it doesn't really matter

Atharv

Club Cricketer

Laxman batted brilliantly for years in Test cricket with a dodgy knee . ODI's were always difficult for him . Pujara favours one of his knee , is very careful when he is running . I had seen him do that many times .
He can last years in Test cricket but in ODI's ......

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Isn't Rayudu a keeper also?. Why pick him & Saha?

Raydu is there as a reserved middle order batsman. He does not keep in longer formats and rarely keep wickets in shorter formats as well.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Raydu is there as a reserved middle order batsman. He does not keep in longer formats and rarely keep wickets in shorter formats as well.

Ok cool, i asked because i recall watching Mumbai Indians in IPL & Champs league all these years & i believe he usually keeps for them, unless i missed something.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Isn't Rayudu a keeper also?. Why pick him & Saha?

Rayudu is a makeshift keeper like Rahul Dravid. Maybe the selectors didn't have much confidence in his keeping abilities at test level, which is fair enough.

----------

Am I missing something ? I don't see how Rayudu deserves this opportunity ?

His first class average is around 45. Even though Last year he had a Ranji average of 60+ he only scored 1 century, while scoring 7 50s.
Did not exactly set the stage on fire in the India A tour of SAF - 2 50s in 6 innings overall

So nothing to suggest that he has the temperament for playing long innings.

Confusing ..

Rayudu has long been a batsman in the test mould. He used to be hailed as the next Tendulkar in his initial years of domestic cricket before he joined the now defunct ICL and created a mess in his career. Thankfully he got rid of that and came back into the BCCI fold to get a chance to resume his career. The way people hailed Pujara for his exploits in domestic cricket, Rayudu was hailed similarly. And as you have shown, his recent domestic record is pretty good. He is a very solid batsman, a guy who can be bet upon in overseas conditions.

----------

Pujara is a liability on the field? When did you get such an opinion? He has been pretty good in tests, and he looks physically lean and fit. From the tests I've watched on him recently, his fielding has looked pretty safe and secure.

The problem with him not playing ODI's is Dhoni. Dhoni doesn't have enough confidence in Pujara's ODI capabilities. The day Dhoni starts getting confidence in Pujara, he will make it to ODI's. Dhoni gave so much chances to Rohit. He can give atleast 25% of that to Pujara and see what Pujara can do.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
^^ I agree about Rayudu being hailed as the next star batsman before the ICL drama. I was rooting for his addition in the Indian team too. But that was a long time back.

I havent followed his career, but I would like to know how he has performed in the domestic circuit since. Current form has to be taken into account IMO :)

War

Chairman of Selectors
Rayudu is a makeshift keeper like Rahul Dravid. Maybe the selectors didn't have much confidence in his keeping abilities at test level, which is fair enough.

Ok cool & is this Saha guy really a better back-up keeper to Dhoni than Denesh karthik?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Ok cool & is this Saha guy really a better back-up keeper to Dhoni than Denesh karthik?

As far as keeping goes, Saha is the stable and secure guy whereas Karthik is the flashy and flamboyant guy. Purely on keeping skills, Saha should anyday be considered ahead. However, Saha lacks experience which Karthik has. And the selectors have been playing hide and seek with Saha. They go periods without picking him, and then one series suddenly he crops up and is picked as the backup keeper.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
And the selectors have been playing hide and seek with Saha. They go periods without picking him, and then one series suddenly he crops up and is picked as the backup keeper.

When did selectors played hide and seek with Saha? Saha has always been there on overseas tour since he was picked first time for England tour in 2011

Users who are viewing this thread