India tour of South Africa - 2013/14

Atharv

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Pujara is a liability on the field? When did you get such an opinion? He has been pretty good in tests, and he looks physically lean and fit. From the tests I've watched on him recently, his fielding has looked pretty safe and secure.

The problem with him not playing ODI's is Dhoni. Dhoni doesn't have enough confidence in Pujara's ODI capabilities. The day Dhoni starts getting confidence in Pujara, he will make it to ODI's. Dhoni gave so much chances to Rohit. He can give atleast 25% of that to Pujara and see what Pujara can do.

Pujara had knee injuries in IPL2 and IPL4. He has had surgeries on both knees .

Indians fret over Pujara injury

India news: Surgery sidelines Cheteshwar Pujara for four months | India Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Pujara is a Fantastic batsman . No doubt . Indian batting might revolve around him in tests . But in ODI he might be a liability .

----------

I would seriously go with 5 bowlers if its a greenish pitch. Ashwin can really hang on around and bat. So

Vijay/Rahane
Dhawan
Pujara
Kohli
Sharma
Dhoni
Ashwin
Kumar
Zak
Umesh
Shami

Awesome lineup that is

For all our overseas tour we need to understand our bowling has to be strong and need to take 20 wickets. This lineup has variety and sure can take 20 wickets

Why would you want to go with 5 bowlers on a bowler friendly pitch ? :facepalm . 4 should do the job .
It is a like going with 7 batsmen on a batting friendly wicket .
:D

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Pujara had knee injuries in IPL2 and IPL4. He has had surgeries on both knees .

Indians fret over Pujara injury

India news: Surgery sidelines Cheteshwar Pujara for four months | India Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Pujara is a Fantastic batsman . No doubt . Indian batting might revolve around him in tests . But in ODI he might be a liability .

----------

Why would you want to go with 5 bowlers on a bowler friendly pitch ? :facepalm . 4 should do the job .
It is a like going with 7 batsmen on a batting friendly wicket .
:D

What nonsense? Knee injuries makes a player a liability in ODI's? Pujara has been fielding quite well in tests despite his so-called recurring knee problems. And he's a pretty fit and athletic guy. And he has scored lot of runs in List A cricket at an excellent average of 54.57. And a guy like Pujara with solid technique and temperament is needed for ODI's when we play in overseas conditions. Pujara can score lot of centuries in ODI's pretty easily because of the temperament he has.

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
Can't catch up to schedule.. Is this tour starting at 5th of December or the third? I know it is a odd number day. :p

Atharv

Club Cricketer
What nonsense? Knee injuries makes a player a liability in ODI's? Pujara has been fielding quite well in tests despite his so-called recurring knee problems. And he's a pretty fit and athletic guy. And he has scored lot of runs in List A cricket at an excellent average of 54.57. And a guy like Pujara with solid technique and temperament is needed for ODI's when we play in overseas conditions. Pujara can score lot of centuries in ODI's pretty easily because of the temperament he has.

Please, atleast read the text that links provided lead to . Injuries mentioned are not so-called problems or alleged injuries . He has had operations on both his knees . I have no idea how much cricket you play but any batsman will tell you that knee injuries are bad news and knee surgery is even more bad news .
Fielding in tests and fielding in ODI's are two completely different things . Fielding is the reason why many players retire from ODI's but continue to play Test cricket .

Here are some batsmen whose game was affected by Knee injuries and surgeries .

VVS Laxman , Michael Vaughn , Ravi shastri and a bit more research might reveal some more names . Latest entrant are Tiwari and KP . Tiwari has had a surgery (it would be interesting to see how his fielding is affected . He is an excellent fielder) while KP is being treated (no surgery) .

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Would love to see S Africa use Hardus Viljoen - Hardus Viljoen | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo in this series, his pace was very impressive in the champions league T20. Reminded me of Dale Steyn in his young days.

He has pace but he is very wayward. He was quick in champions trophy but all over the place and not accurate enough. He is not very old so a couple of more years in domestic can help him more. Especially when you look at South Africa's bowling depth which is incredibly strong. I have heard a lot of good things about this guy but have never seen him. Beuran Hendricks | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
^Yup he has has Vernon characteristic, he has an eye to take a wicket each game he plays, his swing is what catch's the batsmen by surprise.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I also remeber reading one of those Firdose Moonda's article on cricinfo where she mentioned that he can swing the ball but also has decent pace and bowls around that 140 mark. Plus being a left hander is always an asset. I tired to find him on youtube but couldn't find anything.

In other news Zaheer Khan is flying to SA with Indian ODI team despite not being in the ODI team on Dhoni's request.

----------

Also India might have finally found that bowling all-rounder that they are looking for. Rishi Dhawan has been performing brilliantly for Himachal Pradesh in ongoing Ranji trophy. He is the highest wicket taker right now with 39 wickets at an average of 15 and also has 311 runs from 5 matches at an average of 51.

War

Chairman of Selectors
He has pace but he is very wayward. He was quick in champions trophy but all over the place and not accurate enough. He is not very old so a couple of more years in domestic can help him more. Especially when you look at South Africa's bowling depth which is incredibly strong. I have heard a lot of good things about this guy but have never seen him. Beuran Hendricks | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Based on what i recall of him in the champions league - he isn't that wayward, nor is exactly accurate - he is somewhere in the middle. He certainly wasn't smashed around by any team in the CL.

Currently he is probably on the same level as Marchant De Lange, who most have seen & been impressed with @ international level.

On Hendricks, like you have heard of him - but haven't seen him bowl.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I also remeber reading one of those Firdose Moonda's article on cricinfo where she mentioned that he can swing the ball but also has decent pace and bowls around that 140 mark. Plus being a left hander is always an asset. I tired to find him on youtube but couldn't find anything.

In other news Zaheer Khan is flying to SA with Indian ODI team despite not being in the ODI team on Dhoni's request.

----------

Also India might have finally found that bowling all-rounder that they are looking for. Rishi Dhawan has been performing brilliantly for Himachal Pradesh in ongoing Ranji trophy. He is the highest wicket taker right now with 39 wickets at an average of 15 and also has 311 runs from 5 matches at an average of 51.

To me, this time it looks like India are definitely putting in a lot more concern and effort towards getting acclimatised to the conditions and they want to perform well overseas and prove themselves, which is refreshing to see. In this age of T20 cricket, there was fear that India might not give too much importance to tests, especially the ones outside subcontinent.

Bowling in the nets in South Africa is definitely a better option than bowling in a Ranji match in India, for Zak.

War

Chairman of Selectors

lion100lion

International Coach
While i wouldn't want to see the SA public boycott matches although i can't blame some who might - it would certainly be good if we seem them @ the grounds with banners venting their displeasure @ BCCI, so that those cronies will know what's up...

They should feel lucky enough to watch 3 odi and 2 test with all fight going in between the two boards

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
They should feel lucky enough to watch 3 odi and 2 test with all fight going in between the two boards

Fights happen between two sides ..

CSA is being bullied by BCCI. Its rather pathetic :)

But you are right we are lucky to at least get this series.

Users who are viewing this thread