India tour of South Africa - 2013/14

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Tell me about one occasion recently when Ishant was`nt wayward? Its high time we stop treating him like a newcomer in the side. He has been around for 50 test matches and still can`t hit the right lengths. Yadav needs to be given the long rope. He has shown that he can pick up wickets in test cricket, be it in Australia in 2011 or against England at home. Yet we keep picking Ishant at the slightest possible opportunity. If Dhoni keeps doing this, he would`ve ruined another of India`s raw quick bowling talent.

If you have read that post of mine, I have said "Ishant hasn't done anything spectacular either but he has played in South Africa before and his experience might be the only thing that has forced Dhoni to play him." I would have want Yadav there as well if he was bowling the same as he did against England in that home series. The fact is even in the Champions Trophy that we won in England, he was our most expensive bowlers with not that many wickets. In the ODI series here in South Africa, he looked very mediocre. He dropped down on the pace just to get his line and length right. He was bowling at high 130's when we all know that he has potential to bowl at 145+ consistently. Ishant was at least able to get his length right in that last ODI. The other factor is the sudden rise of Shami Ahmed as a test bowler. Umesh Yadav would have easily been in that line-up had Shami not perform as well as he did against West Indies. I am a big fan of Umesh Yadav but until he gets his length right, I think it is better to give one more chance to Ishant Sharma and we can always replace him if he is not doing well.

----------

Hello there Dale Steyn.

South Africa v India, 1st Test, Johannesburg, 1st day : Don't think SA quicks were threatening - Kohli | Cricket News | South Africa v India | ESPN Cricinfo

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
"I don't think they were threatening at all". What a guy. Love it.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
That was a bad miss by Ashwin, now I hope Smith won't go on to score big.

scratch978

Club Captain
Can one really expect this Indian bowling unit to outsmart the South African batting greats who hone their skills by facing the likes of Steyn, Morkel and Philander in the nets?

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Even if you had not bold it, it would have meant the exact same thing. The answer to your question is no but Indian fast bowlers did bowl very well in that second session apart from last half an hour or so but were just unlucky. The only chance that was created was dropped by Ashwin. Obviously Indian bowlers are no where near the South African bowling attack but they did bowl well in that second session.

----------

Ishant Sharma - The game changer.

macintosh

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Can one really expect this Indian bowling unit to outsmart the South African batting greats who hone their skills by facing the likes of Steyn, Morkel and Philander in the nets?

Can one really expect this SA batting unit to outsmart the Indian bowling greats who hone their skills by facing the likes of Kohli, Dhoni and Dhawan in the nets?

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
India have bowled well without luck so far. Smith, to his credit has hung in there despite looking ungainly. Need some reverse to work its magic now. My forecast, Zak to get a couple before stumps.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Finally the hard work is being paid off, what a delivery that was from Zaheer Khan.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
More than the delivery it was the set up. Away, Away , Away and then brought the one back in. Classic dismissal. :clap

----------

I wonder why a top batsman like Smith fell to such a classic trap. Watching on the tv here i could literally see this was a set up. Zaheer was drawing him to come little more towards offside by bowling outswingers only to trap with a sharp inswinger.

P.S: Who gave Zaheer a nickname of "lalla". I can hear it o stump mic everytime he bowls nicely.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
weird that's been a spate of LBWs when about a third of the south african runs have come in chancey edges.

india on the other hand edged less in their entire innings combined than smith did in his and their top order got out almost exclusively to them.

think cullinan was talking about how you get your body in position to avoid edges going to the slips in one of the break yesterday, amazing how effective that experience is if that's how south africa have avoided giving away their wickets with edges.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
I think AB is the crucial wicket here. Can't see Duminy or anyone else playing a big one on this pitch.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Great to see Smith going down as Zaheer's bunny, 7th dismissal of Smith by Zaheer. Classy to watch these mind battles.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
I guess AB gonna run out of partners here ;)

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Ishant Sharma has just got a second warning. I think it is a bit unfair because I have been watching him bowling all day and he has barely put his foot in that danger area about 2 or 3 times. Even at that time, his foot was on the edge and not actually in the middle. One more warning and he will be done for this inning which will be a trouble because he has been the best bowler of India so far.

Duminy gone now, good to see Shami among the wickets and he can really take advantage of this reverse swing.

Users who are viewing this thread