India v England 2008

Any person who thinks replacing Badrinath with Yousuf Pathan doesn't have their brain working in order.

Badrinath is a better player, that's the end of that. Since when was a Dravid V2 a bad thing, leggie, after all Dravid does average around 40 in the game and has been the greatest finisher and most reliable batsman of the Indian team ever. I think you guys forget way too soon.

Badrinath can do it all, Yousuf Pathan is a half and half player. He's a Shahid Afridi of India only he isn't as good of a bowler. Yousuf Pathan is a joke.

This is all utter crap tbh.

Imagine this situation - Sehwag gets off to a flier but gets out as the 'Sehwag of the old' for 12 off like 4 balls. Gambhir gets carried away, get's out for about 20 or so. Raina is there flogging it out while Mr. Snob Yuvraj Singh gets owned (he shouldn't be anywhere NEAR the team at this stage). Wickets keep tumbling, and in Walks Yousuf Pathan at 6, score at 50 in about 15 overs. Do you really want him to be at the crease or do you want Badrinath who averages 56 in FC cricket and 42 in OD cricket? Are you that deluded to ONLY judge a person's ODI worth by the IPL?

Last edited:
Badri's OD average is 39. But then, Yusuf's is 29. I'm not happy about Badri being dropped because I have a feeling he will fall out of national contention quickly.

I'd go with the following ODI XI, given the squad:

1. Virender Sehwag
2. Gautam Gambhir
3. Suresh Raina
4. Mahendra Singh Dhoni*+
5. Yuvraj Singh
6. Rohit Sharma
7. Yusuf Pathan
8. Harbhajan Singh
9. Zaheer Khan
10. Ishant Sharma
11. Munaf Patel

I don't know on what basis RP Singh got into the ODI squad. M Vijay hasn't even played an international game yet and he has already leapfrogged his way into the ODI squad. I'm a little confused. :confused:

Sorry for being harsh on M Vijay's selection, but I feel something other than just form is behind his selection. I understand his selection in the tests based on form, but suddenly he is injected into both squads and that too at the expense of someone who is expected to be India's future star (S Badrinath) baffles me.

Maybe Badri's drop is to prove that the bias doesnt exist

saisrini80 added 1 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

Badri's OD average is 39. But then, Yusuf's is 29. I'm not happy about Badri being dropped because I have a feeling he will fall out of national contention quickly.

I'd go with the following ODI XI, given the squad:

1. Virender Sehwag
2. Gautam Gambhir
3. Suresh Raina
4. Mahendra Singh Dhoni*+
5. Yuvraj Singh
6. Rohit Sharma
7. Yusuf Pathan
8. Harbhajan Singh
9. Zaheer Khan
10. Ishant Sharma
11. Munaf Patel

I don't know on what basis RP Singh got into the ODI squad. M Vijay hasn't even played an international game yet and he has already leapfrogged his way into the ODI squad. I'm a little confused. :confused:

Thats a great line up. we have 5 bowlers plus Sehwag-Yuvraj for part time, and we have a good attacking batting line up till No.8 (No.9 if Zaheer can also be considered).

However, we might miss Badri a bit because he can provide the Dravid type solidity to the order. He is the Dravid replacement when Dravid quits.

I'm not convinced with raina. He scored on perfect batting conditions. I don't mind him in the team but at no. 3? (cough) Someone ring ganguly (cough).

I'm not convinced with raina. He scored on perfect batting conditions. I don't mind him in the team but at no. 3? (cough) Someone ring ganguly (cough).
Raina has had the most success at 3. Don't see what Ganguly would add to the team. You've got too get the young legs in as soon as possible and running back to Ganguly all the time won't help things at all.

lol i was joking. I don't want Ganguly at 3 let alone the team. I would've been happier for Raina to come in at 4 and dhoni at 5. Someone like Badri at 3 but he isn't in the squad. If we put Yuvraj then badri would be fast tracked in the team in the next series. :cool:

Phew regarding Ganguly. :p

I think Raina is well suited at 3... at least there is no one else in the squad, except maybe Virat Kohli, that you can play there.

India are going to be in abit of shock when they finally have to play against a competent bowling line-up. :p Not going to get any rest-bite from Anderson, Sidebottom, Broad, Harmison, Panesar, Flintoff or Swann. There are no easy pickings there, going to be interesting to see which of those bowlers play, I'd guess that it'll be Anderson, Broad, Harmison, Panesar and Flintoff. Gives us a good mix, swing from Anderson, pace and bounce from Broad and Harmison, Reverse swing and pace from Flintoff and spin from Panesar. Swann might get a gig in place of Anderson or Broad though, wouldn't be a bad thing, he will get some real turn out of the Indian pitches.

Not sure about the spinners but i think the dangerous men are Anderson and Sidebottom. Swing bowling is very important for seamers. I don't think Flintoff is going to be as effective and Harmison is more a hit the deck type bowler. Historically they're not very successful in India. Plus Harmison isn't the greatest travellers as he is the type to get home sick. Hoggard would be a good inclusion but alas its unlikely.

India are going to be in abit of shock when they finally have to play against a competent bowling line-up. :p Not going to get any rest-bite from Anderson, Sidebottom, Broad, Harmison, Panesar, Flintoff or Swann. There are no easy pickings there, going to be interesting to see which of those bowlers play, I'd guess that it'll be Anderson, Broad, Harmison, Panesar and Flintoff. Gives us a good mix, swing from Anderson, pace and bounce from Broad and Harmison, Reverse swing and pace from Flintoff and spin from Panesar. Swann might get a gig in place of Anderson or Broad though, wouldn't be a bad thing, he will get some real turn out of the Indian pitches.

I agree with you.The English attack would test the Indian batting line up if they are all fully fit.

Actually King Pietersen i'd drop Broad for Sidebottom. Yeah i agree that England are going to be a tough challenge in the bowling department. I can't say the same thing about the batting. They need Bell, Cook and Shah to convert their starts. I feel this might be the do or die series for Strauss.

You say Shah, but Shah's not even in the first team. Pietersen clearly rates him, but I'd say he probably rates Paul Collingwood higher. The batting will come from Strauss, Cook, Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood, Flintoff and Prior. All bar Flintoff average 40+, so it could be an interesting series. I reckon Zaheer will be all over Strauss though, he hates facing left handers, especially ones who move the ball both ways. Ishant will cause Cook some big problems as well, especially if he holds an off-stump line with seam movement.

Sidebottom's not been fully fit for a while now. He got injured during the Stanford series. Pietersen does rate him I think, but not as highly as Broad. Broad's runs will also come in handy as well, he's a very capable batsman, and could almost be counted as an All-Rounder I reckon. He was one of Englands better batsmen against New Zealand when Bell and Colly were struggling. Broad will get in over Anderson I reckon, this was proven in the Stanford series, although Test Cricket is a different matter. Anderson looked desperately out of form in his 1 game in Antigua though.

Harmison's got an OK record in India, 2 Tests producing 5 wickets, at a good economy. It's only really Australia and South Africa where he's struggled. But to be fair to him, his record in Australia doesn't show the true Steve Harmison. He was new to Test cricket in his first trip, and desperately lacking form in his 2nd. I wouldn't write him off, if Mitchell Johnson can get good pace and bounce, Harmison will be able to get some real bounce. I'm really looking forward to the series, India's ODi team doesn't look as strong as normal either, so considering we hammered South Africa I think we've got a good chance in both forms, for the first time in years.

respite, even. We're pretty close now to a big tour, I think we need to take advantage of India having just played Australia.

I've updated the OP with the tour dates.

Beating India in ODI's and that too in India is very tough. We just beat SL in SL with Dhoni as captain. And this is a 7 match series, and not a tri series or quadrangular series. India's success rate is very high in bilateral series.

Tough times for England!

We beat you at home in a 7 match series under Collingwood, I'm pretty sure we can give you a good run for your money in India, especially with Harmison and Flintoff in the side, and with KP as captain. Looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread