India v England 2008

"Whenever the Indian team has toured England, some of the venues have not been up to the mark in terms of facilities for Indian players and supporters. However, we have complied and gone ahead and played, for it is the host board's prerogative to fix the itinerary."
Which venues are they talking about?
Rose Bowl
Edgbaston
Old Trafford
Headingley
The Brit Oval
Lord’s
Trent Bridge
These grounds are all deserving of International cricket and are clearly up to scratch.

Headingley is a bit poor facilities wise, for players. I can't think of any other grounds we play at that are considered so. Unless they count their tour game at Hove last year? :p

Screw racial or regional segregation, this is the new segregation. :(

It's restraint of trade. It's illegal. It will take someone with a lot of guts to stand up to the BCCI though.

The Sri Lankan Cricket Board took this action independently of the BCCI. Their reasoning was that since Atapattu had participated in a 'rebel' league from their perspective, he would not be allowed to be a part of cricket sanctioned by the board. This is essentially the same policy followed by the English and Australian boards during the era of the WSC - you will not be allowed to be a part of board cricket, if you participate in the rebel league. So, I say again what I said earlier, feel free to criticize them, chastize them, call the SLCB pawns, but don't ride the high horse and try to paint the BCCI as some foreboding entity whose ill presence is a never-before-seen threat to cricket. Their actions, some of which have been obviously ulterior, are nothing new. They've done what boards before them have done and what boards that come after them will do, and they deserve to be criticized for it. But, understand that nothing will change if the ECB suddenly becomes the controlling board. It is as interested in the spirit of cricket as the BCCI. When the chief executive of the MCC colludes with chairmen of county boards in a secret meeting in an attempt to not miss the boat and to capitalize on the financial success of the IPL, that tells me that money and not some high ethical standard or the spirit of cricket, is the key motivation for those involved.

Last edited:
The Sri Lankan Cricket Board took this action independently of the BCCI. Their reasoning was that since Atapattu had participated in a 'rebel' league from their perspective, he would not be allowed to be a part of cricket sanctioned by the board. This is essentially the same policy followed by the English and Australian boards during the era of the WSC - you will not be allowed to be a part of board cricket, if you participate in the rebel league. So, I say again what I said earlier, feel free to criticize them, chastize them, call the SLCB pawns, but don't ride the high horse and try to paint the BCCI as some foreboding entity whose ill presence is a never-before-seen threat to cricket. Their actions, some of which have been obviously ulterior, are nothing new. They've done what boards before them have done and what boards that come after them will do, and they deserve to be criticized for it. But, understand that nothing will change if the ECB suddenly becomes the controlling board. It is as interested in the spirit of cricket as the BCCI. When the chief executive of the MCC colludes with chairmen of county boards in a secret meeting in an attempt to not miss the boat and to capitalize on the financial success of the IPL, that tells me that money and not some high ethical standard or the spirit of cricket, is the key motivation for those involved.

It's been a long time since Cricket authorities were solely motivated by the 'spirit of cricket'. The point being made is that the precedent has been set, it is illegal to stop players from playing in rebel leagues. "Restraint of trade", Tony Greig, etc. No one has the guts to stand up to the BCCI though.

If it's a two test series, it’s a pure boring draw, unless and otherwise. ODI would be won by India, quite easily.

Users who are viewing this thread