India v England 2008

Flintoff, Harmison not returning to India

England will return to India to play their two-match Test series as per schedule, but without several senior players including talismanic all-rounder Andrew Flintoff, according to a media report.

http://cricket.timesofindia.indiati...rning_to_India_Report/articleshow/3775617.cms

If these two dont come,Eng will loose both the test matches,England depend on these two players...

I'd say that's a very dodgy media report. I don't see us returning to complete the tour.

I think I'll ditto Nigel there. One point though:

"A lot hinges on the attitude of captain Pietersen, but assuming he is persuaded by ECB of the enormous compensation which would be demanded by the Indian board (running into millions of dollars) and falls into line, the rest of the England party will follow his lead,"

If that is true, the Indian Board really are a bunch of scumbags, even more so then I thought they were. The country has just been rocked by terrorist attacks, and of course players aren't going to be happy going there. So if they pull out, the BCCI would get millions off the ECB. That is bloody pathetic and really makes the BCCI look shameful :noway

That's some pretty bad rep for the BCCI. I hope they realize how their actions would look to the rest of the world. It's not like the England series would have generated that much more money, anyway. 2 more ODIs, and 2 tests which have been decreasing in popularity in India.

That report is said to have originated in the media. With no stated sources inside the Board, I would not place much confidence in its details. I would rather wait for an official statement than rely on the Sunday Telegraph's presumptions about what the Board will or will not do.

Kevin Pietersen has a decent statement out in his column for the News of the World.

Last edited:
I don't really believe that BCCI bit. They aren't the best board but when England left they weren't at all trying to stop them or anything. I do remember reading 'We understand' etc a few times.

Tbf, sadly the BCCI are very much too money orientated. Very sad considering it represents such a talented and passionate cricketing country.

Anyway, I don't think we'll go back, but if we do we will go back without a lot of our bigger names and first teamers.

We need to get rid of Sharad Pawar. Ever since he got the job the reputation of the BCCI and Indian cricket in general has gone down the toilet. Anyone remember the good 'ole Pre 2004 days?

We need to get rid of Sharad Pawar. Ever since he got the job the reputation of the BCCI and Indian cricket in general has gone down the toilet. Anyone remember the good 'ole Pre 2004 days?
The fat bloke that Damien Martyn "pushed" off the stage when he was too fat to get his ass off it in 2006?

......and the one who looks like a mutant, and speaks like a mutant, yes.

England team set to return by Friday

Kevin Pietersen and his teammates are set to return to India by Friday to play the two-Test series, the first of which would be shifted from Kevin Pietersen arrives at Heathrow airport from India. Ahmedabad to Kolkata, according to media reports.According to a report in The Guardian, the English cricketers would return to India on Thursday or Friday and the warm-up match, originally scheduled in Vadodara from Friday, is likely to be shifted somewhere near Kolkata.

http://cricket.timesofindia.indiati...urn_by_Friday_Reports/articleshow/3778510.cms

So finally Eng team is coming,and there will be cricket in India (hopefully)...

Last edited:
the situation in india will only get better. this one was a big kick on our ass and we will improve very fast i know this.

England can return and Cricket should be on. their won't be any security problems now on.

Considering all those reports have emanated from Indian rather than British sources about whether our players will be returning I'd take them with a pinch of salt. Harmison's already said it'd be a big safety risk and I think he's speaking on behalf of other players, not only himself.

I think I'll ditto Nigel there. One point though:

If that is true, the Indian Board really are a bunch of scumbags, even more so then I thought they were. The country has just been rocked by terrorist attacks, and of course players aren't going to be happy going there. So if they pull out, the BCCI would get millions off the ECB. That is bloody pathetic and really makes the BCCI look shameful :noway

BCCI has already said it wouldnt ask for compensation from the ECB in case they dont return fgor the test series.

Users who are viewing this thread