India v England 2008

Just to respond to the few posts above, England were still in the country for about another 36 hours - they announced they were leaving, but had not left for another 36 hours.

The other thing is, yes it is very hypocritical, if England indeed return for the tests.

And you wanna talk about hypocrisy? Where were these people during Australia's tour of Pakistan? The ICC Champions Trophy. This incident is nearly 100x times worse than anything that has happened in Pakistan. Foreigners are explicedly (sp?) targetted here. This mass operation has just occured.

And we see this? Where were they when Pakistan wasn't beign toured?

Former captains Bob Willis and David Gower have joined Ian Botham and Mike Atherton in urging the English team to return to India and play
the two-Test series next month.

Willis and Gower backed the decision to abandon the One-day series but felt if England do not return to India for the two Tests the same treatment could be meted out to them by visiting sides when such a situation arises in the country.

"If India is deemed safe before first Test in Ahmedabad on December 11 and the second in Chennai, they should go and play. Otherwise no one will come to England -- teams will say we are as much a terrorist target as any country. I hope that within a fortnight, things will have settled down," he said.

Yesterday, former captains Ian Botham and Mike Atherton had urged England and Wales Cricket Board to continue the Test series scheduled to start on December 11 in Ahmedabad.

[. . .]

Skipper of the English squad in that 1984-85 tour, Gower, said, "I would understand if there are doubts about staying on but I would expect that if the players went back to different areas of the country, they would be fine. I would almost suggest that if they go back to Bombay, they would be fine. India will provide full security, even though they will find it hard to get this out of their minds."

All from Times of India.

Did I not suggest dropping Rawalpindi from the venue list or any city for that matter if we felt it wasn't safe?

And I was blasted for saying the show must go on for Pakistan? Hmm.

Hypocrisy at its best. And really, I doubt anyone can deny it now.. We can't let the terrorists win, I think I said something along thos lines?

I will tell you one person who in the media has pointed out the double standards to all this - Michael Atherton.

Anyway, we haven't had a major incident since Marriott (which was definitely not as bad as this as foreigners wern't explicidly targetted, and no cricketers were due to stay there) so either no one feels like doing anything (hopefully) or our intelligence has improved.

Thats coming from Skysports commentators who'll probably miss out on alot of money if the series doesn't go ahead, I'd loose some respect from the England team but mostly from the ECB if they go ahead with the plans.

Last edited:
The other thing is, yes it is very hypocritical, if England indeed return for the tests.

I don't think it is hypocritical, 2 and a half weeks is a long time. Chances are that this is a one off event that won't happen. Having said that, I'd be shocked if England did play the Tests.

It's on their will that they return or not, things are getting healed. England should wait for proper order or they must themselves see the security or the conditions here .Security matters it comes first .

Mumbai test match directed to Chennai

I agree that England should not come back and it would be hypocritical of them to come back if they did so. However, I do have one argument against hypocrisy.

Pakistan is far more volatile a country than India is. It appears that India is on its way to being more volatile, but from a Western perspective, India is still perceived at being way safer. In fact, a couple of my friends from uni (Americans) have their tickets booked for Bombay in about 2 weeks and they haven't cancelled/postponed their plans. If terrorists from Pakistan can wreak so much havoc in the financial capital of India, just imagine what they could do if they were to set their sights on Pakistan!

I agree that England should not come back and it would be hypocritical of them to come back if they did so. However, I do have one argument against hypocrisy.

Pakistan is far more volatile a country than India is. It appears that India is on its way to being more volatile, but from a Western perspective, India is still perceived at being way safer. In fact, a couple of my friends from uni (Americans) have their tickets booked for Bombay in about 2 weeks and they haven't cancelled/postponed their plans. If terrorists from Pakistan can wreak so much havoc in the financial capital of India, just imagine what they could do if they were to set their sights on Pakistan!
I think our intelligence, coast guard, and army are at a higher level than those of India's.

Think about it - these terrorists wanted to destroy the Marriott. They partially achieved that goal, but thanks to the layout of the hotel, and some intelligent thinking on our part, very few guests were harmed.

On the other hand... you've got this massacure.

zMario added 1 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

I don't think it is hypocritical, 2 and a half weeks is a long time. Chances are that this is a one off event that won't happen. Having said that, I'd be shocked if England did play the Tests.
Was the Marriott not a one-off event?

And the difference is we prevented a Mumbai type situation at the Marriott, while India failed to do that.

The fact remains unchanged >> India is far safer than Pakistan.

You ask any Team where they prefer to play India or Pakistan ? the answer will be more to the Indians side .

Even if England comes back they will be given tight security which is a must but at the moment i too think they should not come back we will carry forward our winning row in the next time :D

The fact remains unchanged >> India is far safer than Pakistan.

You ask any Team where they prefer to play India or Pakistan ? the answer will be more to the Indians side .

Even if England comes back they will be given tight security which is a must but at the moment i too think they should not come back we will carry forward our winning row in the next time :D
Which is why the English players ran out of India, right?

Our security is definitely a lot better than India's. You can even ask Graeme Smith and Kevin Pietersen, since in various interviews they have said that Pakistan's security is very very tight, but they don't feel comfortable in going (or something along those lines)

Now we don't know what improved security the future holds for the English players - that is yet to be seen.

Which is why the English players ran out of India, right?

Our security is definitely a lot better than India's. You can even ask Graeme Smith and Kevin Pietersen, since in various interviews they have said that Pakistan's security is very very tight, but they don't feel comfortable in going (or something along those lines)

Now we don't know what improved security the future holds for the English players - that is yet to be seen.

oh! wait Let me call them.

BS!!

One thing i ll never forget ! the way Indians Washed out England 5-0 especially Yuvraj to Broad- harmison Patel- Flintoof all English bowlers. :p

England just had a press conference. They said basically nothing, just that they're planning on going back out if it's safe. I don't see the point. If the cricket is really important to the lives of people in India like they make out play it at a neutral venue and pay for some of the people affected by all this to go and see it or something. Of course it isn't that important to the people of India that the 2 boards spend some money. It is important enough to risk the England teams lives though.

Leggie you're making alot of anti-pakistan jibes here with no proof to back them up stop flaming just to try and wind zMario up. Pakistan aren't bombing your country, yes some of those responsible were from Pakistan that doesn't mean that the country is responsible.

Jesus, stop comparing which country is safer to be in right now because neither is safe. Stop taking jabs at another nation because 1 group of people does not represent a nation. Stop referring to the past as the past is past. Let's try to make amends in the future and not let a few groups deter us from doing so. The fact is, both countries need more security at this point in time but sometimes it is just too difficult to stop these kind of acts. You can't stop everyone because they might be a terrorist. This was a very well planned attack and anyone would have been caught off-guard.

Back on topic- I don't believe England should come back for the test matches. I think it's a really silly idea and I hope they reconsider this decision for their own good.

There's nothing to argue about because England have gone home, and they won't be returning unless their security gives the go ahead, which they probably won't. In fact, it seems that everyone here is on the same side - England shouldn't return. So why are you all arguing?

I agree with sohum's earlier point though, I find it sickening that you can take this internet forum so seriously on the back of so many innocent murders. Who cares whether England are hypocrites or not when something this serious has happened?

I am seriously considering closing this thread until/if the cricket the resumes. I see no reason to leave it open so you can conduct a political flamewar. I will, however, leave it open with a final warning. Please keep the politics out, stop flaming and relax. Remember, no one actually wants England to return, so there's nothing to argue with!

Second test should be shifted to Kolkata and not to Chennai as it is raining heavily there!!

Here the rain will stop after December 11th. This period is called the "Karthigai" period (it means the period of lights, e.g. Diwali) and it always pours buckets here. After Dec 11 or 12, the rain stops here. And the 2nd test is only from 19-23 which should be perfectly fine for a full game. Right now, I am in Chennai for a vacation and the locals who have been here for years said this to me.

Users who are viewing this thread