India v England 2008

Stuart Broad is out of the first match with a Hamstring injury and Amjad Khan and Adil Rashid (not officially but he will be with the team throughout the tour) have been called up to the squad so there is a chance that Amjad Khan might get a game which in my opinion is as stupid as it was to play Darren Pattinson, especially when we have Hoggard bowling brilliantly and not geting near the team.

I don't think anyone knows what the hell is going on with the ECB they seem to struggle with any sort of logic!

Sidebottom will get back in easily. His been England's best bowler ever since he came back into the side and if common sense prevails then Stuart Broad will be making way.

He hasn't though really. He prevailed against New Zealand and West Indies, the 2 weakest sides in Test cricket after Bangladesh. Then against decent sides his record is as follows:

South Africa:
2 Tests, 6 Wickets for 194 runs at 32.33

India:
3 Tests, 8/303 at 37.87.

Sri Lanka:
3 Tests, 5/318 at 63.60.

Hardly impressive figures. He was massively down on pace and swing against South Africa, and just didn't look dangerous. He needs to get back to 100% fitness if he's going to stand any chance of getting in the side. In terms of swing bowling, I'd take Jimmy Anderson over Sidey any day of the week. In English conditions Anderson will be incredibly dangerous against any side, except at Lords, which is ridiculously flat atm. Anderson has more pace and swings the ball both ways with very little change in his action, he's a far more dangerous bowler than Sidebottom.

Broad's got potential as well, I'd take Sidey over him at full fitness, but atm, Broad's a far better prospect and is offering far more to the team. Kabir Ali should have been Sidey's replacement in the squad, but he obviously doesn't exist according to the selectors.

To be fair to Siddy in that test series in Sri Lanka he had around 5+ sitters dropped by prior(i think it was him), which would have dramatically decreased his average in that series.

Stuart Broad is out of the first match with a Hamstring injury and Amjad Khan and Adil Rashid (not officially but he will be with the team throughout the tour) have been called up to the squad so there is a chance that Amjad Khan might get a game which in my opinion is as stupid as it was to play Darren Pattinson, especially when we have Hoggard bowling brilliantly and not geting near the team.
I'm not sure why Amjad is ahead of Hoggie either, is he injured perhaps?

Looking at stats though last season although Amjad only really played a bit part for Kent as he was coming back from injury his average was better than Hoggies although its based roughly on half the overs that Hoggie bowled. But it is a bit of a risk to go with an unproven player although having said that, there is no point in just picking the old guard everytime you do occasionally have to try other players, as long as they don't just get a handful of games, fail, get disguarded and we are all told "it's for the future" I don't mind.

I'm not sure Hoggard's still got it on the International stage. He looked incredibly down on pace last season, even though he'd lost abit of weight. I think he'd very much be a Bracken type bowler in Test cricket, useful for the first 10-15 overs, but after that he's just accurate, offering very little. Kabir Ali must be doing something right, to take close to 60 wickets in a season at an average under 20 is incredibly impressive, yet he's not even being discussed by anyone. He's still in his 20's as well, very strange.

Remember Kabir Ali was in D2 for those stats. Though I agree, under-rated bowler. Thoguh Amjad shouldn't be under-estimated, very good bowler, when fit.

I'll echo the sentiments on Hoggard. Baffling why he isn't involved, such a reliable bowler who had 1 or 2 poor matches vs New Zealand and got dropped. Was only one iirc.

Last week G Kirsten (Indian coach) gave few tips & tricks when he was asked by SA's coach Mickey Arthur,Mickey Arthur asked him how to beat Aus,Gary gave him few tips,now Mickey Arthur gave England 10 tips to defeat India,in India:

Ten ways to win in India

Dont miss the article,do read...and plz comment,do you really feel it will help?Because even Chappel had revelaed few imp tips to Aus,did that helped them?No way...

Last week G Kirsten (Indian coach) gave few tips & tricks when he was asked by SA's coach Mickey Arthur,Mickey Arthur asked him how to beat Aus,Gary gave him few tips,now Mickey Arthur gave England 10 tips to defeat India,in India:

Ten ways to win in India

Dont miss the article,do read...and plz comment,do you really feel it will help?Because even Chappel had revelaed few imp tips to Aus,did that helped them?No way...

I dont think it will really help,because playing & implementing on feild and discussing/planning are different things,as you said correctly Chappel also helped Aus when they came here few months before,but Aus lost the series,they even didnt win a single test,so i personally dont think that will help England in big deal...

Is Tremlett injured? He seems to have dropped completely off the radar.

Ten ways to win in India

Read that in the wisden, good article.

So fianally Cricket wins over terrorism,England is coming down to play 2 test matches with their full strenght...good...

Users who are viewing this thread