India v England 2008

He hasn't though really. He prevailed against New Zealand and West Indies, the 2 weakest sides in Test cricket after Bangladesh. Then against decent sides his record is as follows:

South Africa:
2 Tests, 6 Wickets for 194 runs at 32.33

India:
3 Tests, 8/303 at 37.87.

Sri Lanka:
3 Tests, 5/318 at 63.60.

Hardly impressive figures. He was massively down on pace and swing against South Africa, and just didn't look dangerous. He needs to get back to 100% fitness if he's going to stand any chance of getting in the side. In terms of swing bowling, I'd take Jimmy Anderson over Sidey any day of the week. In English conditions Anderson will be incredibly dangerous against any side, except at Lords, which is ridiculously flat atm. Anderson has more pace and swings the ball both ways with very little change in his action, he's a far more dangerous bowler than Sidebottom.

Broad's got potential as well, I'd take Sidey over him at full fitness, but atm, Broad's a far better prospect and is offering far more to the team. Kabir Ali should have been Sidey's replacement in the squad, but he obviously doesn't exist according to the selectors.
I wouldn't take Anderson over Sidebottom. All of Anderson's success came against New Zealand and he didn't exactly set the world alight against South Africa.
Sidebottom's averages against India and Sri Lanka rised severely following several catches being dropped which should've been taken whilst I remember Anderson bowling 30 overs against India and going for almost 200 runs in an innings.

India's fielding has improved even more than what Arthur predicts. With the retirement of Saurav Ganguly and Anil Kumble, the fielding is definitely going up even more. Indian fielders also dont stick their boots out. And most international fielders (esp. bowlers) do stick their boot out to stop the ball from hitting the boundary.

Happy with the test series going ahead. I might plan a day or two at the Chepauk for the first test against England (on vacation in Chennai ATM). If I do go, it would be my first day watching a cricket match live from the sidelines. I hope I can make it to the MAC stadium in Chennai.

saisrini80 added 2 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

So fianally Cricket wins over terrorism,England is coming down to play 2 test matches with their full strenght...good...

Good that they are coming at full strength. I think Pietersen might be the reason for it. If he is the reason for persuading the likes of Flintoff and Harmison, then I appreciate him for doing it. He has the qualities of bringing the players together behind him for the battle. Sooner than later, he will become a big captain in international cricket, and hope he doesnt taste that kind of success in India.:p

It's good for India as a country that they can look towards something else then terrorism.

Dont miss the article,do read...and plz comment,do you really feel it will help?Because even Chappel had revelaed few imp tips to Aus,did that helped them?No way...

Follow opposite to what Chappel says and you will win.

I really appreciate the England teams spirit and fully respect there decision.

Thanks for coming as we will get into normal soon and Cricket can do that :happy

I feel that England will win first test, or atleast one. Indians perhaps not so well prepared for the first test. I hope I am wrong :D

5000 security guards, ok, the England cricket team could probably take over a few countries :p

England's allrounder, said the decision to return to India for their two-Test series was taken by the team as a whole, and not just by the senior members-Andrew Flintoff

Good,now the England team is coming with their full strength,hopefully it will not be one sided test series,Fintoff can change any game; he bowls fast,can bowl accurate yorkers,and can bat for long inngs...Just 2 days now remaining for the 1st test match..

I read in the paper today that there 10,000 security guards at Chepauk stadium during the nets. That's a ridiculously big number. I hope that they actually do their job instead of turning around watching the game.

I read in the paper today that there 10,000 security guards at Chepauk stadium during the nets. That's a ridiculously big number. I hope that they actually do their job instead of turning around watching the game.

:D

That made my day. Well if India aren't going too well then there shouldn't be any problem.

If there able to free up 10,00 security guards what were they doing in the first place?

I really hope that this isn't a mistake by the English Cricket Team.

We all saw what happened to the hotel that Australia was suppose to be staying in Pakistan. The bombing of the hotel was at the very same time that the players would've been staying in aswell.

It would be a real shame if Kevin Pietersen happened to be in a hotel at the very same that a bombing occured as the guy has a real shot at being one of the greatest batsman of all time.

Well, Ponting wants India to be safe... So I can assure that the Aussies would have definitely come back too had they been in England's shoes.

In India, once they are hit by something deadly (like the Mumbai attacks), everybody wake up and start smelling the coffee. The security steps up pretty well, and after that its almost impossible to see any similar incidents. Had England stayed at the Taj on 11/26 (the date of the Mumbai's terror attacks), nothing of this sort would have happened. Big and important celebrities are given good security.

Hope this Chennai test isnt a washout. The rains are back here today after a good week or so, and its all looking ominous with heavy storms predicted this week. THIS IS IDIOTIC!!! Always Chennai gets a test when its monsoon time. Almost all recent Chennai matches have been washouts or heavily rain affected. WHAT THE HECK IS ON WITH THE BCCI????? If I had a gun, I would shoot everyone in there (BCCI).:mad: Chennai has always hosted some historic and thrilling ties and the spectators here are among the most sportive of the nation (in fact, could rate for the best).

Last edited:
If rains spoils 1st test,then it will all depend on 2nd test,the last one,already its a 2 match test series,and i just feel that rain might spoil 1st game,if not all 5 days,but it might affect 2-3rd day,in a test match every day is vital,even if few hours of play are washed out it will be difficult for any team to win in that situation where the no.of overs have been reduced.To win a test match,you need to bowl max overs,then only a team can try to get as many wickets as possible,if they get less overs,it becomes difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread