Indian Cricket League(ICL)

How do you rate the fielding standards in ICL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They say they'll start with a T20 comp, but hopefully expand into OD games and FC games.

aus5892 said:
Wouldn't you prefer International to always be a great level above the domestic games? I love domestic cricket myself, I go to domestic cricket more than international cricket partly because there are more games in Melbourne, but I do not want it to become bigger than Test and ODI cricket. I do not want to see our home grown talents pack their bags as soon as they've established themselves simply for more money. I do not want to see grassroots cricket and international cricket be overshadowed by clubs with millions in the bank.
I think the average cricket buff who has the resources to go to a game of cricket in India goes to international games more than domestic cricket. Why? Because they go to the stadium to see the Sachins, Souravs, Pontings and Pietersens. Why? Because they don't really know about the Muzumdars, Rayudus, and Chawlas. Almost no one follows domestic cricket except the people involved with them (players, officials, sportswriters). That's the point I'm making. Australia have some passion for domestic cricket, something that is inexistent in India, and something that I think should be cultivated.

sohummisra said:
I think the average cricket buff who has the resources to go to a game of cricket in India goes to international games more than domestic cricket. Why? Because they go to the stadium to see the Sachins, Souravs, Pontings and Pietersens. Why? Because they don't really know about the Muzumdars, Rayudus, and Chawlas. Almost no one follows domestic cricket except the people involved with them (players, officials, sportswriters). That's the point I'm making. Australia have some passion for domestic cricket, something that is inexistent in India, and something that I think should be cultivated.
I would be happy to see a revamp of it, if it is that way then I would hope that you guys can improve its popularity, but not by dragging international stars away from their home country just to make more money.

My point is that if big bucks are in India to play domestic cricket there, then where do cricketers go? India. If there is more money in domestic cricket than in international cricket, we will slowly see more and more international players leave the international circuit or simply put domestic cricket first, because they make more money out of it. I don't want to see doemstic cricket become a goldmine and stop players from caring about international cricket, as happens in soccer.

You have lots of good points but none to counter my main one.

aus5892 said:
I would be happy to see a revamp of it, if it is that way then I would hope that you guys can improve its popularity, but not by dragging international stars away from their home country just to make more money.
If international cricketers deserve their place in the national team, they won't follow their nose to the money in the domestic scene. And the very fact that Zee wanted to cooperate with the BCCI in this venture shows that they in no way intended to "drag international stars away from their home country".

aus5892 said:
My point is that if big bucks are in India to play domestic cricket there, then where do cricketers go? India. If there is more money in domestic cricket than in international cricket, we will slowly see more and more international players leave the international circuit or simply put domestic cricket first, because they make more money out of it. I don't want to see doemstic cricket become a goldmine and stop players from caring about international cricket, as happens in soccer.
I think a decent player who has no chance of making it to his national team in Australia or England would be more satisfied in playing domestic cricket in India, if his life would be more satisfying. Also, we're saying 2 overseas players per team with 6 teams. That's 12 players. With a maximum rise to 16 teams, that's 32 players. We've seen English counties have two overseas players without causing any harm to the national teams that these players come from. I think it's just paranoia on your part (and unfairness to cricketers) to assume that if such a domestic competition were to be created, they would all book the next flight to India.

India's immigration laws are pretty tight, as well, so you won't see random cricketers show up in India and try to become Indian citizens, just to play in a lucrative domestic cricket league.

Looks like Zee probably jumped the gun by announcing it a bit too early. They should have announced it after getting people behind them, etc. Now their league might be consigned to the dustbin!

cricinfo said:
Warne and Lara linked to breakaway Twenty20 league

Cricinfo staff

May 12, 2007

Brian Lara, Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and "more big names to follow" are being linked to a breakaway Twenty20 competition taking place in India this October, according to the latest issue of Spin magazine.

Seems very interesting. Obviously, hopefully they can get some younger talent to play but 3 very big names there. This also gives the information that the league is starting in October which is just a few months after the twenty20 world cup.

If international cricketers deserve their place in the national team, they won't follow their nose to the money in the domestic scene. And the very fact that Zee wanted to cooperate with the BCCI in this venture shows that they in no way intended to "drag international stars away from their home country".

I think a decent player who has no chance of making it to his national team in Australia or England would be more satisfied in playing domestic cricket in India, if his life would be more satisfying. Also, we're saying 2 overseas players per team with 6 teams. That's 12 players. With a maximum rise to 16 teams, that's 32 players. We've seen English counties have two overseas players without causing any harm to the national teams that these players come from. I think it's just paranoia on your part (and unfairness to cricketers) to assume that if such a domestic competition were to be created, they would all book the next flight to India.

India's immigration laws are pretty tight, as well, so you won't see random cricketers show up in India and try to become Indian citizens, just to play in a lucrative domestic cricket league.
English domestic cricket is organized by an international body, the ECB, and is not during the Australian Domestic Season, so is not an alternative.

English domestic cricket is organized by an international body, the ECB, and is not during the Australian Domestic Season, so is not an alternative.
They're only two countries. You'll notice that if an English county cricket team ever managed to contract a player that had an international contract, that player would be bound to come back to represent his national team. And if he didn't, then he doesn't deserve to be selected anyway. Hence, if you are fearful that Australian cricketers would have flown over to India to participate in this league, your fears are baseless because if he wouldn't go back if his team required his services, he doesn't deserve to play for Australia, and furthermore, he would be picking up lots of international playing experience, as well.

Another thing that remains to be seen is whether the BCCI allows ZEE to use the ground facilities.Unless they do so,ZEE will be playing street cricket.

I dont care if its commercial angle or not. The thing is, this could shake up the BCCI. Thats what I want.

I think BCCI will be forced to allow ICL to let use of the ground facilities. Seeing the executives ICL has hired and the names of the players who are being rumored to be linked to ICL, BCCI might eventually have to!

I'm sure there are stadiums in India that do not have an exclusive contract with the BCCI. As a last resort, the ICL could restrict themselves to those venues.

I dont care if its commercial angle or not. The thing is, this could shake up the BCCI. Thats what I want.

Seeing the executives ICL has hired and the names of the players who are being rumored to be linked to ICL, BCCI might eventually have to!

To be very fair,I feel that the BCCI must do away with the politicians who are controlling the game.Yes,i am pro-Dalmiya,cause he was the one who shook the cricketing world way back in 1987.
The BCCI should hire a CEO like Australia has.This will ease out matters.

To be very fair,I feel that the BCCI must do away with the politicians who are controlling the game.Yes,i am pro-Dalmiya,cause he was the one who shook the cricketing world way back in 1987.
The BCCI should hire a CEO like Australia has.This will ease out matters.
I doubt it will happen. So many regional cricket boards are controlled by politicians already. The only way you can pry them away is to form a power group against them--and then you enter the loop again. What we need is a conniving businessman who convinces the politicians that he's on their side and then fires the lot.

Users who are viewing this thread