Indian Cricket League(ICL)

How do you rate the fielding standards in ICL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kapil paaji shuld have been sacked by BCCI the mment he became chairman(or whatever) of ths startup , ICL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask them to sack him. They are now sending mediators to talk with Kapil. When he himself is asking them to sack him, they should only have two options - sack him or keep him. Sending people to talk to him more is only a waste of time.

If he believes he can better serve Indian cricket through ICL, I support him to do that. Of course the BCCI wont think like this. Finding the ICL as a threat to their money minting possibilities, they would do what they are doing now.

As I've said before, I object to creating a parallel league that will detract away from international domestic cricket (such as in Australia). It seems like a money chasing venture and nothing more, it may seem good to Indian fans for better talent but it will only turn international cricketers away from playing at home and for their country because there is more money.

He'd be better off investing in the current system and training youths than getting people to leave their country in search of more money.

The last thing I want is the lack of loyalty showed by soccer players who play for any club that offers them more money and take money over international pride.

let me tell you that the people sitting on the chairs of BCCI are illiterates
they just react quickly and only see Revenue,revenue........$$$$$$$

Zee by introducing has made new concept in indian cricket which BCCI cant digest because they think that their shares will fall.

As I've said before, I object to creating a parallel league that will detract away from international domestic cricket (such as in Australia). It seems like a money chasing venture and nothing more, it may seem good to Indian fans for better talent but it will only turn international cricketers away from playing at home and for their country because there is more money.
If you go back and read the thread concerning the original Zee venture, you will notice that mostly all of your concerns were unjustified. I'm not sure if you stopped presenting your points of view because you ran out of them or if you overlooked the thread, but it is quite obvious that this won't affect international cricketers in other countries adversely. Secondly, Indian immigration authorities aren't just going to be opening the floodgates and allowing any person to gain Indian citizenship and play for a domestic team, so you aren't going to see a huge flock towards the money.

He'd be better off investing in the current system and training youths than getting people to leave their country in search of more money.
It doesn't matter how many times you run something through a decrepit system, it isn't going to be improving it. It's pretty obvious that the BCCI doesn't need any monetary investment, so one can argue that Zee's venture is actually an investment in the current system--just one that expands it instead of being confined to it's pathetic boundaries.

The last thing I want is the lack of loyalty showed by soccer players who play for any club that offers them more money and take money over international pride.
Cricket is much more a game played by countries, rather than one that is played by clubs. I don't think this is about to change any time soon, at least in India, given how politicized it has become. And secondly, Zee isn't proposing anything near what soccer is--it has put a limit on 2 overseas players per team--and there are only 6 teams to start with. That's a total of 12 players, of which some names being murmured are international retirees.

'Is Kapil Right' thread merged with this one. Keep all discussion of the Indian Cricket League in here please.

It is gaining a lot of names now.

ICL also gets Madan Lal, Balwinder Sandhu on board

Lara signs up for new Indian league

Cricinfo staff

July 23, 2007

Brian Lara has become the first big-name signing for the Indian Cricket League, which announced today that it has also contracted former Indian allrounder Madan Lal to coach its Delhi team and Balwinder Singh Sandhu as director of academies.

Lara, who retired from international cricket after the World Cup earlier this year, said he looked forward to playing with promising youngsters and to captaining one of the teams. "You can't keep me too far from cricket and hence I return to the game in this exciting new avatar", Lara said in a statement issued by the Essel Group, promoters of the ICL.

Rajesh Chauhan and Pranob Roy, former players who had also served as selectors, were roped in as talent scouts for the league. They joined Kapil Dev, Kiran More and Sandeep Patil on the ICL roster.

Source: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/303309.html

This is interesting. It is starting in October and with several people being signed it is looking like going ahead. It is a shame little is known about stadiums or the exact stance of the BCCI. We know they are not 'sanctioning' it, but what does that mean?

Last edited:
Huge move for them. Lara will attract a lot of younger players who want to play with/against him, he'll also attract established players for the same reasons and big name players because he's there.

The thing with the soccer comparison is that the big clubs that offer all the money play more often than national squads. The EPL's off season is just a couple of months and inside the fixture there are well recognised tournaments like FA Cup UEFA Cup and Champions League. There is little comparison to these tournaments anywhere in world cricket, but one can not doubt the prestige of winning the Champions League.

By contrast, in cricket, national teams play frequently and domestic off seasons are half a year long.

World Series Cricket didn't simply introduce eight camera views and pyjamas. It introduced a new understanding of player value. Instead of taking just a paltry wage based on match fees, Packer offered them the money they were worth to him, to have them playing and making money for him through broadcasting and advertising. It's been more than apparent how much of an issue that is in the West Indies right now, with the players and the board at loggerheads over everything.

By extension, I don't see why this or Allen Stanford's dealings shouldn't be considered a parallel to that. Packer simply saw an undeveloped market and tapped it. Similarly, Stanford has clearly stated that he intends his money as an investment. If there is a massive market in India for international cricket, then surely there is a few million in improving the domestics.

Agree completely with you, angryangry. I don't think this should be seen as a threat at all and I don't think the BCCI has lost sight of its goals if it stops recognizing cricket tournaments just because they feel threatened by it.

And manee, the BCCI not 'sanctioning' the tournament basically means that they will not recognize it. This would essentially mean that no BCCI resources would be provided to the tournament, for example umpires, stadiums leased by the BCCI, and the like. This would not have really been too much of a problem except the BCCI went one step further and actually have started firing/disassociating themselves with people who are associating themselves with ICL.

And manee, the BCCI not 'sanctioning' the tournament basically means that they will not recognize it. This would essentially mean that no BCCI resources would be provided to the tournament, for example umpires, stadiums leased by the BCCI, and the like. This would not have really been too much of a problem except the BCCI went one step further and actually have started firing/disassociating themselves with people who are associating themselves with ICL.

Thank you for clarifying it.

Shane Warne may be joining the ICL as well!

Indian Rebels Lure Warne
From correspondants in New Delhi, India
July 24 2007

SHANE Warne is reportedly on the verge of joining West Indies great Brian Lara in a multi-million dollar breakaway Twenty20 series in India later this year.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22127131-23212,00.html

McGrath also in negotiations, manager says

Warne confirms interest in Indian league

Cricinfo staff

July 25, 2007

Shane Warne will join Brian Lara in the Indian Cricket League if his conditions are met, however Warne's manager conceded that such an agreement was still a long way off. Glenn McGrath has not ruled out his involvement and his manager said negotiations could progress in the next week.

The ICL on Monday announced Lara as its first big signing, two months after his name was initially linked with the group. Warne's manager James Erskine said he had been in talks with ICL officials including Tony Greig.

"They haven't offered what we have asked for, so negotiations are proceeding," Erskine told the Australian. "Provided the terms and conditions are right, Shane Warne will play, but it's a long way off before we get the contract signed." The paper reported that Warne's proposed pay package was worth up to $2 million.

Source: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/303524.html

All these stars intermixed with the youth who will make up the most part of the teams is pointing to a very successful business venture and very good cricketing competition.

EDIT: Indian discards not far behind

The Essel Group, which had announced the league?s birth within days of India?s World Cup debacle, is also believed to have approached several Team India discards. They include Dinesh Mongia, J.P. Yadav, Sanjay Bangar, Amol Muzumdar, Deep Dasgupta and Ajay Ratra, sources said.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070724/asp/frontpage/story_8098522.asp

Dennis Lillee has been approached to be bowling coach of one of the teams, but I cannot provide a source for this just yet. Hopefully it wont hinder his brilliant work in the MRF Pace Foundation.

Last edited:
This is looking good, with Lara and Warne in. McGrath might play. They need to get a few other big names too.

Change the 'might' to a 'will'; Warne and McGrath have now signed their contracts according to Kapil Dev, a member of the executive board of the ICL. Young Australian cricketers are also being recruted Dev called it 'most exciting thing' to happen in cricket in a long time.

cricinfo said:
The ICL is a Twenty20 series proposed to be held around October in India featuring six teams comprising four international players and two Indian stars, with the rest made up of younger players.

Souce: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/303625.html

Would anyone mind me changing the title of this thread and moving it to the Future Tours subforum?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread