Indian Cricket League(ICL)

How do you rate the fielding standards in ICL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is looking intresting. But will it be beneficial for Indian Cricket. I hope BCCI doesnt ignore those who perform well in ICL. Some players may be afraid to play in ICL as it may ruin there chances of representing India.

I can't see the BCCI doing the thing you'd expect them to. They don't tend to.

Arrgh...Its only starting in October? Damn, hoped for it to start before I went back to the states...
Want to see some Lara action!

This is looking intresting. But will it be beneficial for Indian Cricket. I hope BCCI doesnt ignore those who perform well in ICL. Some players may be afraid to play in ICL as it may ruin there chances of representing India.
I think the BCCI have already gone ahead and made statements saying that any player who plays in the ICL will be officially not recognized by the BCCI, which would effectively destroy the probability of them playing for India.

I think if this makes a big enough TV impact and viewers see something that they like, there will be enough pressure created to at least raise the BCCI eyebrows.

Was wondering what this thread was about and then I see all this rebellion in the news.

I've just read that Cricket Australia will not be allowing any of national or state players to take part in this. Fleming is also considering retiring from test cricket to take part in this.

NEW ZEALAND captain Stephen Fleming has been approached to be part of the breakaway Indian Cricket League and may consider retirement to take up the lucrative offer.

While recently retired Australian players Damien Martyn and Justin Langer have rejected offers to join the annual month-long Twenty20 tournaments in India, Fleming is said to be considering his position.

Cricket sources in Australia, New Zealand and India all confirmed yesterday that Fleming was being sought to captain one of the six proposed teams on a three-year deal believed to be worth more than $500,000 a year.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22136420-23212,00.html

I think the BCCI have already gone ahead and made statements saying that any player who plays in the ICL will be officially not recognized by the BCCI, which would effectively destroy the probability of them playing for India.

I think if this makes a big enough TV impact and viewers see something that they like, there will be enough pressure created to at least raise the BCCI eyebrows.

I think in the end of all this the BCCI will end up buying the ICL and all its players.

My only question is ....
Where will ZEE host the tournament,seeing as BCCI wont give them the rights to use the grounds ?

Also the ICL,where will the younger players come from ?
There is no talent search as such....

My only question is ....
Where will ZEE host the tournament,seeing as BCCI wont give them the rights to use the grounds ?

Also the ICL,where will the younger players come from ?
There is no talent search as such....
I'm interested in seeing how they resolve these issues, as well. There're obviously a lot of quality players in India that never see an India cap due to political issues--but whether they will be ready to give up that small possibility is something that remains to be seen.

They sound like they have some locations picked out, but they might just be bluffing. Packer was able to utilise AFL grounds, but also found suitable enough conditions at a racecourse and a showground. With drop-in pitch technology, temporary grandstands and portable light towers, it's quite simple to turn any large and flat grassed area into an ad hoc cricket venue.

Also interesting (but may also be a bluff) is that Kapil Dev claims both Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath have signed on.

What I'm most curious about is the players. If the BCCI bans players who participate in ICL, those players could be left out in the cold, in spite of being well paid, because the fixture is not a season of cricket. Retired and foreign players are looked after, while Indian stars would surely be able to secure foreign domestic contracts in the event of exile, but those players who may or may not be future stars may be risking an awful lot. I suppose Zee would be counteracting this by offering them more money than they'd get per season.

In the short term, it is likely that all dealing will be in Zee's favour because India does not seem capable of performing without access to 12 of its best players, forcing the BCCI to fold out of the hand. What it balances on is the popularity and income from the rather short tournament. One would think banning of players is a licence to expand.

If Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath are playing, it will simply prove what I said all along, that this is a bad thing. It is encouraging people who have retired from playing for their country to continue playing cricket for bucketloads of cash. That's all it is. It is hurting the international game, especially if Stephen Fleming retires just to be in it.

It's all about money, and that will ruin the game as we know it if the sport becomes a money chasing exercise where players have little pride for their national side and domestic system.

Soccer is a prime example of this, David Beckham is playing in a crap league in the USA, moving from his own nation, which has one of the better leagues anyway, and his own side that he was playing for for years, for money. He is not the only one. The goal of soccer is to make money, and few players care about their national sides when opposed to their domestic sides because of financial promise.

If the game becomes about the money, it will ruin it. Why don't these guys give their billions of dollars to something worthwhile like foreign aid (or in their own countries), or medical research, instead of wasting it because they want to see better cricket.

It sickens me to think how much money we waste on sport when it could be going to a worthwhile cause.

Beckham hasnt moved to LA for the money. He is still intent on playing for the national team also. Yes, the money was one of the incentives, but he wants to increase the notoriety of the MLS. Its a good league, the top sides would hold their own in the premiership. People presume that the MLS is a shocking league, but there are some immensely talented players in the MLS, Eddie Johnson, Freddy Adu, Landon Donovan, Juan Pablo Angel, Eddie Pope, Claudio Reyna, Abel Xavier and now David Beckham. Its a league thats on the grow, has gained show on Sky Sports (i think) and the inclusion of Beckham to the MLS will certainly help the league in a big big way.

It's all business for them, I dont think Zee actually cares about the development of Cricket. I think it has to do more with entertainment than anythng else.

Zee has also stated that there are many stadiums in India which are not under the control of BCCI which they'll use as venues.

Beckham hasnt moved to LA for the money. He is still intent on playing for the national team also. Yes, the money was one of the incentives, but he wants to increase the notoriety of the MLS. Its a good league, the top sides would hold their own in the premiership. People presume that the MLS is a shocking league, but there are some immensely talented players in the MLS, Eddie Johnson, Freddy Adu, Landon Donovan, Juan Pablo Angel, Eddie Pope, Claudio Reyna, Abel Xavier and now David Beckham. Its a league thats on the grow, has gained show on Sky Sports (i think) and the inclusion of Beckham to the MLS will certainly help the league in a big big way.
If you actually believe that there's not much I can say... If someone shoved that much money into your pockets I'm sure that you could find an excuse easily. "Developing the game" is the easiest and most overused.

David Beckham doesn't care about the MLS quality, just as Zee don't care about Indian Cricket quality. They care about getting money and beating the BCCI.

National pride for your own domestic scene would be tarnished if people start moving to India to make some money instead of playing at home for the team that they trained and grew up in.

If Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath are playing, it will simply prove what I said all along, that this is a bad thing. It is encouraging people who have retired from playing for their country to continue playing cricket for bucketloads of cash. That's all it is. It is hurting the international game, especially if Stephen Fleming retires just to be in it.
What? McGrath and Warne have clearly retired from international cricket already and I really cannot see how that encourages players to retire from their national team to play in the ICL. Players retire from international cricket not because they're done with cricket, but because they don't feel they have anything more to achieve, or they are tired of the constant scrutiny.

If Fleming, as captain of his team, retires from international cricket solely to participate in the ICL, I will lose a lot of respect for him and will seriously question his commitment to the team. As I see it, however, there are probably other factors at play.

It's all about money, and that will ruin the game as we know it if the sport becomes a money chasing exercise where players have little pride for their national side and domestic system.

Soccer is a prime example of this, David Beckham is playing in a crap league in the USA, moving from his own nation, which has one of the better leagues anyway, and his own side that he was playing for for years, for money. He is not the only one. The goal of soccer is to make money, and few players care about their national sides when opposed to their domestic sides because of financial promise.
Soccer is not a valid parallel. Cricket is a game that is dominated by international competition. Soccer is dominated completely by economics--it is a free market of soccer players. Cricket won't be heading this way because of a short tournament comprising mainly of Indian non-hopefuls and international retirees.

Users who are viewing this thread