Indian Cricket League(ICL)

How do you rate the fielding standards in ICL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you actually believe that there's not much I can say... If someone shoved that much money into your pockets I'm sure that you could find an excuse easily. "Developing the game" is the easiest and most overused.

David Beckham doesn't care about the MLS quality, just as Zee don't care about Indian Cricket quality. They care about getting money and beating the BCCI.

National pride for your own domestic scene would be tarnished if people start moving to India to make some money instead of playing at home for the team that they trained and grew up in.

David Beckham is many things, one of them isn't caring about Football. He is a footballer through and through. Sure he's being paid a bundle, but a fair chunk of that is going back into the game through his outstanding academies.

This ICL thing, is something which people will watch because of the names. But it's not going to be a place from what we say "Player X played really well in that league", because it's not going to be a place where people ge the chance in the Indian team because the BCCi have said so and also because it's going to be dominated by thirty somethings.

I cant see any talanted youngsters playing in ICL, they wouldnt want to go against BCCI. Had BCCI backed ICL the case would have been different. But I guess Zee already knew that BCCI wouldnt support them. The reason ICL has roped in big names from International Cricket is to increase its entertainment value rather than anything else.

I think the BCCI have already gone ahead and made statements saying that any player who plays in the ICL will be officially not recognized by the BCCI, which would effectively destroy the probability of them playing for India.

I think if this makes a big enough TV impact and viewers see something that they like, there will be enough pressure created to at least raise the BCCI eyebrows.

Not just 'big'. They will have to make a huge impact and must make people talk about them excitedly. If they can do it, may be the BCCI will think of recognising the ICL.

Actually, when is the next round of elections for the BCCI bosses? The day these set of officers quit, Indian cricket would be blessed.

My only question is ....
Where will ZEE host the tournament,seeing as BCCI wont give them the rights to use the grounds ?

Also the ICL,where will the younger players come from ?
There is no talent search as such....

Who said BCCI owns the grounds in India? There might be stadiums that do not have international status and that are not under the lease of the BCCI.

I think in the end of all this the BCCI will end up buying the ICL and all its players.

That is, if the people running the ICL are FOOLS. Almost the whole world what a bunch of jokers the BCCI have in their administration.

Last edited:
I cant see any talanted youngsters playing in ICL, they wouldnt want to go against BCCI. Had BCCI backed ICL the case would have been different. But I guess Zee already knew that BCCI wouldnt support them. The reason ICL has roped in big names from International Cricket is to increase its entertainment value rather than anything else.
From what I've read their aim is to find new players, the ones who slip through the cracks because they can't afford to commit to cricket. Of course, it's also a good tactic to emphasise grass roots involvement. That gets popularity with the average person.

What? McGrath and Warne have clearly retired from international cricket already and I really cannot see how that encourages players to retire from their national team to play in the ICL. Players retire from international cricket not because they're done with cricket, but because they don't feel they have anything more to achieve, or they are tired of the constant scrutiny.

If Fleming, as captain of his team, retires from international cricket solely to participate in the ICL, I will lose a lot of respect for him and will seriously question his commitment to the team. As I see it, however, there are probably other factors at play.

Soccer is not a valid parallel. Cricket is a game that is dominated by international competition. Soccer is dominated completely by economics--it is a free market of soccer players. Cricket won't be heading this way because of a short tournament comprising mainly of Indian non-hopefuls and international retirees.
a) Which is precisely the point. They are retired from international cricket, yet they are suddenly happy to keep playing cricket for money. That is a bad thing. The fact that they retired before is a positive, but looking at Fleming had they stayed on they may have done the same.

Surely a player can retire and be done with it, rather than retiring from international cricket, then continuing to make money playing domestic cricket overseas?

b) I know that they can't be compared now, which is why I want it to stay that way.

a) Which is precisely the point. They are retired from international cricket, yet they are suddenly happy to keep playing cricket for money. That is a bad thing. The fact that they retired before is a positive, but looking at Fleming had they stayed on they may have done the same.
No it is not a bad thing. There is no rule dictating that a player has to play international cricket if he is going to continue playing cricket. We've seen players like Mushtaq Ahmed and Saqlain Mushtaq go play overseas county cricket in England yet I don't see you crying yourself hoarse over how they are not playing internationally.

Surely a player can retire and be done with it, rather than retiring from international cricket, then continuing to make money playing domestic cricket overseas?
Yeah, but that really isn't your choice, is it? What if you owned a business where you exported products and then one day decided that you didn't want to export it anymore. No one would be within their rights to force you to continue to export your products. Not all cricketers have to finish cricket and then go into commentary or some auxiliary form of the game. These cricketers, if they end up playing in the ICL, will obviously treat the game far more differently, and an opportunity to learn more about a country that they don't call home.

b) I know that they can't be compared now, which is why I want it to stay that way.
We're just going to have to ATD here. I don't think cricket will become like soccer, despite however much money goes into domestic cricket.

Also playing in a domestic league is much easier than playing for your country. Which is why retired players might accept the offer as it gives them a opportunity to earn some money.

There are many reasons for international cricketers to retire from international cricket. One important reason for the Australian cricketers would have been to make sure that the people coming through--the youngsters, with large aspirations--have a chance to realize them. With players like Hussey entering the team so late because of the domination of the last decade's Aussie team, he has missed the opportunity to play at his peak in international cricket.

Retiring from international cricket doesn't necessarily mean that the player has nothing else to contribute to his team and it certainly doesn't mean he should stop playing cricket completely.

No it is not a bad thing. There is no rule dictating that a player has to play international cricket if he is going to continue playing cricket. We've seen players like Mushtaq Ahmed and Saqlain Mushtaq go play overseas county cricket in England yet I don't see you crying yourself hoarse over how they are not playing internationally.

Yeah, but that really isn't your choice, is it? What if you owned a business where you exported products and then one day decided that you didn't want to export it anymore. No one would be within their rights to force you to continue to export your products. Not all cricketers have to finish cricket and then go into commentary or some auxiliary form of the game. These cricketers, if they end up playing in the ICL, will obviously treat the game far more differently, and an opportunity to learn more about a country that they don't call home.

We're just going to have to ATD here. I don't think cricket will become like soccer, despite however much money goes into domestic cricket.
If the players play in the ICL, they will treat it as an opportunity to make cash.

If a player retires from international cricket it is generally because they feel they've done enough and are ready to move on. I disrespect anyone who does it because they feel they're near the end, then continues to play cricket overseas. Shane Warne is playing for Hampshire, but not Victoria. That is because of money. Now he is going to play in the ICL too, that is because of money.

I'm not saying that it will become like soccer, I'm saying that any similarities should be stamped out or there is a risk of it getting closer. It will obviously never be the same type of thing, but the ICL is a similarity we don't need that will benefit no one except for corporate sponsors and players who will do anything for a bag of cash.

If the players play in the ICL, they will treat it as an opportunity to make cash.
It is obviously an opportunity to make cash but it is also an opportunity to live in another country for a small period, take in a bit of it's culture and play with what can be the future of world cricket. All these may not appeal to you because you are not an international cricketer, but I have a feeling things like this do make cricketers excited. I know that Brett Lee, for one, enjoys visiting India and learning about the people here. Of course cash is a major part of the deal, but it is not the only part.

If a player retires from international cricket it is generally because they feel they've done enough and are ready to move on. I disrespect anyone who does it because they feel they're near the end, then continues to play cricket overseas. Shane Warne is playing for Hampshire, but not Victoria. That is because of money. Now he is going to play in the ICL too, that is because of money.
You may disrespect such a player, but I can tell you that the top players of India's Ranji leagues are probably frustrated by now that Sachin, Sourav and the goldies are still in the team. I know that Australia has seen a lot of top players pass through their system without getting to play internationally, because their team was that solid for that long. Shane Warne obviously still had a lot to offer to international cricket but he retired because he didn't want to usurp the chance for other budding cricketers to have the same sort of career that he had. This tournament is going to be something like a month-long tournament which looks like it's just going to turn into an exhibition event.

I'm not saying that it will become like soccer, I'm saying that any similarities should be stamped out or there is a risk of it getting closer. It will obviously never be the same type of thing, but the ICL is a similarity we don't need that will benefit no one except for corporate sponsors and players who will do anything for a bag of cash.
The ICL is not a similarity of anything that is happening in soccer. For one, players don't play 30 minute friendlies against mixed opposition after they retire for a bagful of cash. And you claim this "will benefit no one except for corporate sponsors and players". I feel you are stamping your opinion on the general cricket public. A LOT of people would be ecstatic to see players of the caliber of Warne, McGrath, Lara (if they all compete) and others lock heads against each other in the exciting Twenty20 format. I, for one, am looking forward to it. If it doesn't benefit me, ANY form of international cricket anywhere benefits no one but sponsors and players.

I agree with the majority of the Playing for money arguement except one piece where wrote has argued that Shane Warne is playing for Hampshire and not Victoria for money. If it was all about money, he'd be playing for both. Simple fact is, he lives over here now. His family are settled in England and they like it here.

i doubt whether BCCI is a cricketing board of india
poor shard powar has many other things to look after besides cricket
at least ICL respects the indian talent

I agree with the majority of the Playing for money arguement except one piece where wrote has argued that Shane Warne is playing for Hampshire and not Victoria for money. If it was all about money, he'd be playing for both. Simple fact is, he lives over here now. His family are settled in England and they like it here.
No it wouldn't, because Victoria wasn't paying him, Australia was. Hampshire were paying him a lot more than he'd make at home anyway.

sohummisra said:
Shane Warne obviously still had a lot to offer to international cricket but he retired because he didn't want to usurp the chance for other budding cricketers to have the same sort of career that he had.
I highly doubt that, his ego was high enough. Warne wanted to do what he wanted to do.

Inzamam and Jonty Rhodes are a couple of guys that may be joining. It'd be great if they did.

Is this series going to be telecast in the UK ?

Users who are viewing this thread