IPL Indian Premier League 2016- General Discussion

Which team will be the champion of IPL 2017?

• Delhi Daredevils

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kolkata Knight Riders

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Kings XI Punjab

• Mumbai Indians

• Rising Pune Supergiants

• Gujarat Lions

• Sunrisers Hyderabad

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Royal Challengers Bangalore

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is it now official that Dhoni wants to ruin Irfan Pathan career?
Sending him at no 5,getting him out and not giving a single ball to bowl.

Because he doesn't formulate any good reason to explain why it isn't good for T20s. He basically just says that if it hadn't rained they would've got to 135-140.

Read it twice.
"Duckworth-Lewis is rubbish,"
He also said that they might have scored 135-140 if they played till 20th over.

I thought he posted that Cricinfo article but he posted the Cricbuzz which doesn't really cover the entire thing. Here is Cricinfo article.

Rising Pune Supergiants coach Stephen Fleming called the Duckworth-Lewis method 'rubbish' | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

"It was difficult to score. That is how we thought the pitch was going to be. We knew we were going to lose wickets throughout, it was that type of a pitch. If we scraped to 135-140 and, if someone played really well we could have got to 150. As soon as you reduce that score, with the wet ball and rain, it borders on the farcical."

"There are not many stories here today apart from the fact that rain curtailed what could have been a tall chase. They might have come and got it but with our spinners, the longer the game went we would have had more chances. As soon as it was reduced, game over. Run-a-ball- basically and three overs in the Powerplay, we were never going to win a low-scoring game. That basically sums up our run in the tournament.

Which is impossible.

Again, there isn't anything that is impossible in game of cricket. It was very unlikely to happen but you never know, one good over and they could have very well achieved that score. Throwing those strike rates stats doesn't matter much because he was in no position to play an inning where he can come out and smack everything because he was losing partners at the other end. Of course I agree that it wasn't a good inning but that was because Dhoni was struggling against the spinners. The situation that they were in, it need an inning where someone bats all the way till the end and try to help the team reach to a total which they can defend. As I said above, had they even reach 120-125, it would have been a challenging task for KKR since the pitch was getting worse and Dhoni had 3 spinners in his team. So as Fleming mentioned in press conference, the longer the game goes, the better chance they had simply because the pitch was getting more and more in favour of spin which was their strength. Once the rain came in, it gets impossible for spinners to grip the ball which completely takes their main bowlers (3 spinners) out of the game. However, Ashwin was still getting a lot of turn simply because pitch was turning.

Another thing i noticed last night which is the proof of how worst he is as a captain.
Sending spinners against Pathan. The whole world knows how dangerous he is against spinners. There is something for spinners in this wicket, but you have to be smart enough. M. Ashwin not gonna bowl a tight over against Pathan power. Not even Ravichandran .

Here you are basically repeating what I said yesterday. Here was my post. However, as I said in that post, Pathan was LBW on the very first ball that he faced. Ashwin should have had 3 wickets in the first over which would have really put pressure back on KKR. Dhoni also had no out and out pace bowler who can go out and bounce Pathan out.

Number 1 rule when Pathan is batting is you don't bowl a spinner to him. Yes, the pitch was turning and Dhoni had 3 spinners in team but Pathan will just bully spinners. As a spinner, you need a magic ball to dismiss Pathan like the one Ashwin bowled to him the very first ball. He was lucky to survive and than went berserk.

That's how DLS has worked for ages. He didn't have anything against it before this match. If his team had batted better before the rain break, they could've won.

That's how DLS has worked for ages. He didn't have anything against it before this match. If his team had batted better before the rain break, they could've won.

And that is why people have been complaining for ages about how stupid DLS is. Fleming apparently mentions in the article that he has been against DRS for years now. I am not sure about Fleming and his views on DLS but that's not the point. The point is the DLS system which is really stupid and to use that in T20 is even more horrendous. I don't care whether Pune won that game or not but the fact is the game would have been much more interesting had it been a full match because that would have put Pune in a decent position to at least fight the total which was completely taken out once the ball was wet. There are a lot of of ex cricketers who can definitely come with a better solution than DLS system.

the key thing for t20 is if you are reducing the overs but still have 10 wkts it becomes a different ball game even a new format all together. DLS is ok for 50 overs but for t20s it just isnt a fair system and higly unbalanced!

Having said i dont think Pune would have won either way say other than an outside chance of 10-15%, even if miraculously they got to 135-140! They just didnt play well and have to accept that!

Last edited:
And that is why people have been complaining for ages about how stupid DLS is. Fleming apparently mentions in the article that he has been against DRS for years now. I am not sure about Fleming and his views on DLS but that's not the point. The point is the DLS system which is really stupid and to use that in T20 is even more horrendous. I don't care whether Pune won that game or not but the fact is the game would have been much more interesting had it been a full match because that would have put Pune in a decent position to at least fight the total which was completely taken out once the ball was wet. There are a lot of of ex cricketers who can definitely come with a better solution than DLS system.
You don't want the match going on till 3 am, do you?

In case of rain, 5 overs match per side or either super over should go for But DLS proved a rubbish thing specially in T20

yes the moment rain got affected match , pune team were very much alive in the game . pitch was getting good turn . so this DLS went out in favor of kkr[DOUBLEPOST=1463391707][/DOUBLEPOST]

Match should be suspended and points must be divided in case of too much delay

yes the moment rain got affected match , pune team were very much alive in the game . pitch was getting good turn . so this DLS went out in favor of kkr[DOUBLEPOST=1463391707][/DOUBLEPOST]

Match should be suspended and points must be divided in case of too much delay

KKR did all the hard work in 17.4 over and restricted them to 103.
They deserve to win , not just 1 point.
And pune didn't played well through out the match.
They don't even deserve a single point .
The match was in KKR's favor from the start.
Not just the rain.

I agree that DLS method should not be implemented in T20s as it would be a great disadvantage. I know that it considers wickets remaining into account when it calculates the required score. But, come on! When you have 10 wickets in hand and reduced overs in T20, it will be a great disadvantage for the opposition team.

Saying that, the match belonged to kkr easily. Whether it was 20 overs or 5 overs. They were in total control of the match right from the beginning. So, they deserved to win.[DOUBLEPOST=1463401578][/DOUBLEPOST]I am excited about today's match. It is very crucial for RCB to sstay in the race by winning this match. If they loose this, what little hope is left, will be gone for us.

When did I say that? I just said they need to come up wth a better technique for T20 at least where DLS does not make sense at all. It doesn't make sense in ODI as well but in T20, it is just brutal to use DLS.

KKR did all the hard work in 17.4 over and restricted them to 103.
They deserve to win , not just 1 point.
And pune didn't played well through out the match.
They don't even deserve a single point .
The match was in KKR's favor from the start.
Not just the rain.

This is absolute BS. Just because they restricted them to 103 does not mean they deserve to win. What if Pune had good last 2 overs and then went onto bowl better than KKR. It's T20 and anything can happen in this game. I don't want to repeat myself all over again but the point you are making is absolutely bizarre. I am not defending Pune here, I am saying it in general. It just puts the other team in a disadvantage.

Users who are viewing this thread