Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
This Arora bloke looks to be a quite decent swing bowler.

Bevab

Staff Member
I'm having nervy flashbacks of Chahar's debut season for us with how well this bloke is getting the ball to swing.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I feel like the main issue with every team trying to copy this hyper-aggressive style of cricket is that they lack batting depth. Rabada at eight is decent but not ideal when you've got such hitters paired with an aggressive strategy. I also feel like they're going a bit too overboard with looking for boundaries in every other odd ball when they could be better off trying to aim for a boundary per over/two with a minimum of 10 runs per over. It feels far more achievable than chasing those miracle overs like Livingstone seemed to be doing today. If I had to pick a side that they should model themselves after I'd suggest Islamabad United in the latest PSL season as they tried to strike at 10 RPO in almost every game. In addition they also had batting depth with Maqsood being probably their only true bunny.

To sort out their batting depth issue I'd probably try this lineup...

Mayank
Gabbar
YJB
Livingstone
Jitesh/Mankad
SRK/Chatterjee
Odean/Rishi Dhawan
Bawa/Howell
Chahar
Rabada
Arshdeep

I'd also axe Arshdeep if they're going all in with their aggressive strategy in favour of Brar or Bawa who can bat better. I felt like there was a lull when Jitesh and SRK came to the crease as they were unsure if they should have anchored and consolidated a bit or tried to continue Livingstone's approach in light of their lack of batting depth. With more batting to follow we could have easily seen a 200+ today from Punjab.

EDIT: Quite funnily I can see CSK being the dream side for the modern analyst to play with. They've got insane batting depth, a variety of bowlers in their armoury and all of their batsmen/hitters have certain match-ups where they're very destructive. If only our management unleashed it all instead of sticking with the old conservative strategy of ours...
I think they've got the players for it. Rabada at 8 is fine really, even Chahar looked alright, when you just want players to clear the rope at the end. The Phoenix had four bowlers. It's odd, that after 20 years of T20 a lot of teams still don't seem concerned about maximising the six overs you have two fielders out.

I think, because of the conditions and teams preference for batting second anyway, that if you bat first you need 200 to stand a chance. Add to that the opposition having good death bowlers you might struggle by not trying to get bulk runs early.

YJB coming in at 3 will be a good move not that Rajapaksa has been poor. If things don't work with Odean he could be an option as a finisher particularly with Livo's bowling.

--

This has been a great power play for Punjab.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Something is not right in the CSK camp.. the 2020 season comes to my mind.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Punjab has found out of nowhere a decent bowling attack if Arshdeep starts performing well.

Bevab

Staff Member
Something is not right in the CSK camp.. the 2020 season comes to my mind.

Our outdated tactics are just catching up with us finally. I'd still say we have a chance in today's game given our batting depth but we need to start playing aggressive cricket.

Bevab

Staff Member
It’s swinging and no dew almost. Bad luck. Happens on a day we win toss.

Relying on dew and the luck of a toss to win a game is not the mark of a good side though. I believe we have the proper weapons in our arsenal and we're just not utilizing them correctly.
Post automatically merged:

Picked the wrong all rounder to be captain.

Mo's unironically a capable skipper in his own right.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Our outdated tactics are just catching up with us finally. I'd still say we have a chance in today's game given our batting depth but we need to start playing aggressive cricket.
Exactly. This approach is something we do not need. Another reason I miss Faf so much. Rutu's form isn't helping either.

Bevab

Staff Member
Punjab has found out of nowhere a decent bowling attack if Arshdeep starts performing well.

They had a capable bowling attack the moment they nabbed Rabada and Chahar in the auction.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
We bat till 10 and yes we can still turn it around in this match but as you said, we need to start making a move on. Also I feel Rayudu's time is up and I was really surprised he was picked up in the auction.

Users who are viewing this thread