Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Loved DK's enthusiasm on the field as the captain. Despite KKR having had an inconsistent season, I would day Dinesh Karthik has captained the team very well and I would call his captaincy a 'success'. They are still in the race for the playoffs.

DK as a batsman is probably having the finest phase of his 'highly unlucky career' having lived in the shadows of the great MSD. Its full credit to him that he has forcefully thumped open the door and has figuratively said to the world "I am the next in line after MSD; and not the likes of Samson, Kishan, Pant, etc.".

Loved DK's enthusiasm on the field as the captain. Despite KKR having had an inconsistent season, I would day Dinesh Karthik has captained the team very well and I would call his captaincy a 'success'. They are still in the race for the playoffs.

DK as a batsman is probably having the finest phase of his 'highly unlucky career' having lived in the shadows of the great MSD. Its full credit to him that he has forcefully thumped open the door and has figuratively said to the world "I am the next in line after MSD; and not the likes of Samson, Kishan, Pant, etc.".

DK has been a class bloke from Day 1. Very unlucky to have had the career he's had but he's also partly responsible for it. I think he's achieved the most of all the captains considering what was available to him.. His batting is finally reaching heights it always should have.

I will say though that he's never really truly grabbed the chances given to him in the India shirt.

Despite KKR having had an inconsistent season, I would day Dinesh Karthik has captained the team very well and I would call his captaincy a 'success'.

To continue, Virat Kohli is more than successful as a captain if you keep the results apart. RCB is probably the team with highest bad luck, with regards to auction, with regards to injuries, with regards to general happens as well. With such a pathetic combination, he has been carrying the baton for last 6 years (almost) and we've reached play offs twice.

DK is not just thumping, but may end up breaking the door, however all of that is going to be only for 1-2 years after MS Dhoni. Given his age, I highly doubt if selectors will have him in their plans given that the younger guys are at par with him.

Agreed, he is the player with very unlucky career, but that is how life is sometimes. To make it worst for KKD, MSD has been icon in his home town (thanks to CSK), and has a poor past with one of his teammate's spouse. I'm going a little into his personal life, but yes, all of this happened in his life and I feel really sad for the way events have unfolded in his life.

I totally despise the way he handles his body balance while at the crease.

I totally agree with this part of your post. He has a very weak base and that is the reason he falls way too much after hitting a shot. I think Sanjay Manjarekar picked up on this couple of games ago. Also one more thing is he doesn't time the ball but rather uses his power to muscle the ball away. Again, there is nothing wrong with it but more often than not he will lose his shape while doing this especially because he has a weak base. I have seen him do that in every single inning that he plays. He just tries to muscle the ball away and he is gifted with tremendous power so he gets away with it successfully but when he does lose his shape, it will look ugly.

I am NOT optimistic that he would be a success in the international circuit, if he does not change his technique.

I do not agree one bit with this part of your post. I have seen a lot of players who doesn't have a good technique but still scored a lot of runs in the past in international circuit. The two prime examples are Graeme Smith and MS Dhoni. Smith had one of the ugliest technique I have ever seen in International cricket but one thing common in both of them was they were mentally really strong and that allowed them to overcome their technique deficiency. I dont' think Pant is as strong mentally as they two are but Pant is immensely talented and I think just needs proper guidance and a consistent run in the team to get that confidence.

I still feel both Rishabh Pant and Krunal Pandya needs to be there in T20 squad at least.

I think they don't want to confuse the viewers with 2 Virat Kohli.
Literally nailed it! Same stands with SKY and Rohit, I need to double check the bloke who was in contention at the moment...

I think they don't want to confuse the viewers with 2 Virat Kohli.
For me, Kohli-Vohra- and to some extent Mandeep look the same.

And, Rahane-Dhawal Kulkarni-Uthappa are kind of similar too.

I totally agree with this part of your post. He has a very weak base and that is the reason he falls way too much after hitting a shot. I think Sanjay Manjarekar picked up on this couple of games ago. Also one more thing is he doesn't time the ball but rather uses his power to muscle the ball away. Again, there is nothing wrong with it but more often than not he will lose his shape while doing this especially because he has a weak base. I have seen him do that in every single inning that he plays. He just tries to muscle the ball away and he is gifted with tremendous power so he gets away with it successfully but when he does lose his shape, it will look ugly.

I do not agree one bit with this part of your post. I have seen a lot of players who doesn't have a good technique but still scored a lot of runs in the past in international circuit. The two prime examples are Graeme Smith and MS Dhoni. Smith had one of the ugliest technique I have ever seen in International cricket but one thing common in both of them was they were mentally really strong and that allowed them to overcome their technique deficiency. I dont' think Pant is as strong mentally as they two are but Pant is immensely talented and I think just needs proper guidance and a consistent run in the team to get that confidence.

I still feel both Rishabh Pant and Krunal Pandya needs to be there in T20 squad at least.

Rishabh Pant is in his teens. He will develop mentally I suspect. I find it disgraceful that he's written off on basis of technique while Dhoni is worshipped and termed as unique. It's hypocrisy.

To continue, Virat Kohli is more than successful as a captain if you keep the results apart. RCB is probably the team with highest bad luck, with regards to auction, with regards to injuries, with regards to general happens as well. With such a pathetic combination, he has been carrying the baton for last 6 years (almost) and we've reached play offs twice.

That's hilarious! Are you saying Kohli is a good captain? And those 'pathetic combinations' are a result of his constant chopping and changing the XI. The choices at auctions are his and your post sounds like a trolly of excuses to mask his pathetic leadership.

Just to sight an example- DK lost Starc this year in the IPL. KKR spent 12.5% of their purse to get him. Russell has been half fit most of the IPL. Yet, he has managed to get some respectability on the points table. Kohli is just a pathetic pathetic captain and leader. Period.

Liking the look of this new Kid Abhishek Sharma and great to see Sandeep Lamichhae - the first ever Nepali cricketer to play the IPL.

For me, Kohli-Vohra- and to some extent Mandeep look the same.

And, Rahane-Dhawal Kulkarni-Uthappa are kind of similar too.

LOL Rahane and Dhawal Kulkarni are defiantly twins.

It's so much fun to watch Abhishek Sharma bat right now. It will be even more fun to watch Delhi play now with all these youngsters.

I know there are quite a few Pant fans here. I have no hatred for Pant. But I will continue to keep my skepticism around his possible success in international cricket. Again, it is purely my instinct backed by the logic that I have mentioned many times in this forum. If Pant gets his chance and succeeds in intl cricket, good for him for India. But I personally wish that the likes of Samson and Kishan get better chances than him.

I still maintain that Dhoni when he came into the scene was nowhere near as ugly as Pant. Dhoni in fact became uglier as his career progressed where he had a few lull phases. At his basic technique, Dhoni is way better looking than Pant.

----
Trust RCB to keep the playoff race interesting. :D

Users who are viewing this thread