International Cricket Captain 2011

You don't get to review the decision yourself though

yeah it's just a new way of showing lbw decisions, i have seen a couple given out but they were not out.

So the game literally is just a re-hash of 2010 with a db update?

So the game literally is just a re-hash of 2010 with a db update?

Not at all.

Save to the cloud from your PC and pick up where you left off on another computer or on the 2011 iPhone version.
New twenty-over international championship and player ratings give you more silverware to play for in your quest for creating the number one side in world cricket.
Improved one-day match engine and refined player ability generation provide an even more realistic cricket experience.
New custom field setting mode allows you to re-define every field in the game and quickly switch between them when you change your bowler or tactics.
Improved on-line lobby allows players to challenge you while you play a single player game.
On-line match-play between PC, iPhone and Mac users.
OD/T20 records/partnerships.

Been doing a lot more work with the On-line this year and there'll be a patch out soon with further improvements to on-line.

Save to the cloud from your PC and pick up where you left off on another computer or on the 2011 iPhone version.

But for those that only play on one computer, that doesn't mean anything anyway.

New twenty-over international championship and player ratings give you more silverware to play for in your quest for creating the number one side in world cricket.

Can I ask what you mean by new player ratings for T20? Like players have 2 separate ratings for OD/FC and T20 cricket. And a lot of people don't care about T20 cricket like myself so I find nothing has changed there.

Improved one-day match engine and refined player ability generation provide an even more realistic cricket experience.

Ok, that's a good thing but a bit confused on how that has worked.

New custom field setting mode allows you to re-define every field in the game and quickly switch between them when you change your bowler or tactics.

Yep, good feature finally implemented but isn't anything really new apart from not having to change tactics as often.

Improved on-line lobby allows players to challenge you while you play a single player game.

Never played online. Is too long and has been full of cheats so can't say I really care about this.

On-line match-play between PC, iPhone and Mac users.

Like I said, I don't really care about online player.

OD/T20 records/partnerships.

Yeah, good implementation but not huge.

So really, it still is like 2010 with a db update. I'm not buying this version, I'm sorry to say. I say yet again:

Improvement regarding statistics. Tour statistics, player statistics once they retire, every year statistics, not just the current, last year and last year + 1 season, even stats against certain countries.

It may not have features that interest you, but that doesn't make it 2010 with a db update, because it isn't.

Hey Sureshot, can I know the barriers to implementing New Zealand domestic cricket?

I know it's not this simple, but is it much more than simply copying the Australian domestic structure, and then changing the team names/competition names? Like we've got the same amount of teams (six) with pretty much the same format, and the players are already in the database, so with my limited knowledge I wouldn't think it'd be that time consuming. So I'm just wondering can we expect it next year, or is it several years down the track?

Hmmm yeah and I think SA domestic is similar as well although it could be a pain because of that province franchise thing.

It's dissapointing to read this, considering in 2005 I felt that the games major improvements that it needed were the ability to store unparralled levels of statistics. It should be a living, evolving, personal version of Wisden. As a game the graphics aren't what attract the fans, it's the evolution of players (in reality numbers and statistics) that keep people hammering the space bar. Since so much of the interface is graphically basic, the game should retain the ability to store almost every result, score, stat and record across the users personal game.

As I already said, from loading the game up for the first time I should have access to a rich tapestry of historical statistics, which from the moment I play my first game has the potential to evolve. The next step on from that would be to collaborate with Wisden themselves, introduce the players of the year awards, start to make the interfaces for the statistics resemble each other. Obviously, this may have been looked at, but in terms of expansion and marketability, surely it's worth looking at?

Is it just me... Or with India developing at a rate of knots, surely the potential market for a cricket game that successfully includes the Asian game will be huge. Maybe not yet but...

Last edited:
Exactly this, Cricket is one of the few sports where stats can almost tell you everything about a match.

I like the remember games and this has made me even record scores down in a book. I think the thing most needed about Cricket captain is a comprehensive statistical update. I want to be able to see the scorecard of every game simulated, be able to see every score or spell by every player. There should be stats for every season, series and cup.

I understand that your trying to sell your game Sureshot so you can't just dismiss it as 2010 with a db update but this has to be one of the poorest updates in memory, and will probably this first I won't get since 2005.

Having said that, I wonder how much of the lack of progress over the past year is down to the time spent on the iPhone port and I really hope you guys can get the stats right next year.

Also could you find some way of making the number of tests a team plays relate to their world ranking. It is endlessly frustrating playing around 6-7 Tests a year as New Zealand when I have guided them to number 1 in the world

As a game the graphics aren't what attract the fans, it's the evolution of players (in reality numbers and statistics) that keep people hammering the space bar. Since so much of the interface is graphically basic, the game should retain the ability to store almost every result, score, stat and record across the users personal game.

I completely agree with puddleduck here. I really think that every statistic related to every match you've played should be accessible. It surprised me when 3D highlights were incorporated into the game a few years ago, because I thought the highlights were a gimmick that everyone switched off immediately.

Besides that, my own personal preference would be to have some (any) degree of transparency regarding playing abilities (particularly for evaluating incoming youth players). I don't mean I'd want to know the exact values of the various playing abilities (nor even how they're structured)... but perhaps it would be nice if, for example, the club's batting/bowling coach could tip you off about a particularly promising youth player.

Hey Sureshot, can I know the barriers to implementing New Zealand domestic cricket?

I know it's not this simple, but is it much more than simply copying the Australian domestic structure, and then changing the team names/competition names? Like we've got the same amount of teams (six) with pretty much the same format, and the players are already in the database, so with my limited knowledge I wouldn't think it'd be that time consuming. So I'm just wondering can we expect it next year, or is it several years down the track?

We've done leg work this year which will enable us to implement domestic setups over the next few years. Quite how long that will take, or when which systems will come I don't know yet, but we should have more time available for 2012 than we've had for the 3 versions we've done since Empire went bust (09, 10 and 11, but 09 was really just a case of trying to make the series survive).

As for how we'd implement it, yes we'd use the Aussie system as a base, there are some differences between the two comps aren't there? I had a little look at the setup and I vaguely remember the T20 competition (although Aus is now massively annoying with regards to that) being 10 matches in NZ? Maybe I'm wrong on that. SA will be something to contemplate with the Provincial system, but we had some great feedback throughout development of the SA setup from a guy from the CT forums, which helped us sort out the SA player abilities issue.

The biggest issue with any domestic system/game mode addition is getting the balance right, a vital criteria of any domestic setup (or any feature) we implement in the future, no point just adding them and getting rules wrong or unrealistic scores, etc. This takes time that we simply didn't have much of this year due to other work commitments within the team and Chris' PhD. Which isn't great, but that was the situation

We understand peoples frustration at the perceived lack of development, indeed we were a bit annoyed with some of the stuff we had planned that we had to drop for 2011. Was one hell of an effort to get 2011 out in the end with the stuff we did add.

Don't know the plans for 2012 features yet, we're still working on another patch and getting iPhone ready for release. But I would think there'd be some new league(s), that's no confirmation just an opinion, just too early to give a definite, but they will come, it's in the plan of what we want to do with the game, along with stats.

Is it just me... Or with India developing at a rate of knots, surely the potential market for a cricket game that successfully includes the Asian game will be huge. Maybe not yet but...

Not as big a market as others due to certain, um, characteristics of the software industry. May change in the future, but wouldn't expect it to be our biggest market for quite a few years, even with the addition of certain 20 over competitions. I know others have struggled with the Indian/Asian market and not just cricket games either.

Not as big a market as others due to certain, um, characteristics of the software industry. May change in the future, but wouldn't expect it to be our biggest market for quite a few years, even with the addition of certain 20 over competitions. I know others have struggled with the Indian/Asian market and not just cricket games either.

Ah k, for some reason that didn't even cross my simple mind but now you mention it I can see the issues. I suppose wider access to quality, and with it regulated, internet resources will eventually help, whilst at a guess it may take until the next batch of consoles before the user base reaches worthwhile levels? This does all explain why the focus on phones, especially in light of the telecommunications boom that India has been in over the last few years.

As a PC user though, I can't help but feel the game I could be playing will be hampered in its potential by expanding its compatibility across handhelds :) The worry I think is that with the app explosion ICC finds itself placed somewhere just ahead of other phone apps in terms of offering what is a fantastic experience and really very in depth game for a phone, yet lacking and perhaps lagging in terms of where it could and should be on a far more powerful laptop.

Anyway, cheers for the reply Sureshot :) Nice to see your smegging profile picture still hasn't changed in all this time haha

p.s Did you always used to work with Chris? Or is that a fairly recent development?

Users who are viewing this thread