Internet Speed

rickyp

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hey all, just a query about internet speed, my family are on a 1.5mg speed plan (i probs didnt phrase it right but in the end we have a 1.5meg connection) and I can only ever get up to max speeds of 200kbps, my friend who has a 512 connection can get 500 quite often. Why is this? is there any way to fix it?

To answer some of the obvious questions
I am on wireless but my other computers arent and this actually dloads faster than them.

We rarely have more than one comp on at a time so the speed isnt going to be split.

My computer is rather top end, and I do have the latest drivers etc.

langerrox

International Coach
maybe its the place your downloading from? being wireless is going to slow down your speed for a starter, which ISP are you with?

langerrox

International Coach
go on a cable pc and go to the TPG website, try downloading a file from there see if its faster than normal

Brett_Lee

International Coach
Different places have different speeds. And it can depend on the server to on how fast you are downloading. I have Bigpond Cable and its pretty fast uncapped speeds Just caus they say its 1.5 mb second doesnt mean it is, it means its the speed it goes up to. Sometimes downloading off microsoft is 1 mb a second but other sites is 28kbs so i agree with langerrox, it depends whre you download from

langerrox

International Coach
yeh i normaly download from gamearena when i can (telstra site) and it get up to 700kbs

rickyp

International Coach
bummer, i thought it might have a lot to do with how far you are from the changeover point - i think thats what its called

brad352

Executive member
rickyp said:
bummer, i thought it might have a lot to do with how far you are from the changeover point - i think thats what its called
Exchange, and it does

Brett_Lee

International Coach
Well my cable is uncapped (Bigpond rekon its up to 8mbs) but is usually only a max of 500kbs - 1mbs

It also depends on your ISP to. And it can also depend on how many people are visiting and downloading on the site your on

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
my download speed is about 300-400 kbps. It usually is much faster but may be due to my wireless connections, its slower than normal

Users who are viewing this thread