would my internet speed be slower upon..

aryan_6668

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
hey guys i have a high speed internet cable and i would like to open a wireless connection so my siblings can use it too. question is would my internet speed go slower upon sharing through wireless router?
thanks

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I have this setup myself and I don't really notice any drop down in speed when someone downloads.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
If someone you're sharing with is downloading a huge file, you may notice a drop in speed. I would recomend a cable set up, as it's a bit more stable than a wireless set up.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
For my wireless has been very stable. I've had no problems with it at all.

As for the speed as long as you have a quick connection you won't experience much of a drop. I'm on 2mbps.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
aussie1st said:
For my wireless has been very stable. I've had no problems with it at all.
Sometimes you get lucky :D

It all depends how many walls/floors you want the signal to go through.

Cable is obviously going to be better though.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Cable would be more reliable and if its only 2 users then that would be best.
I have 4 computers in use 2 up and 2 down stairs so obviously cable isn't really appropriate in my case.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
As long as your computer is the one connected to the router all the others can be wireless then it won't affect you at all.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Wireless is quite stable if really huge downloading/uploading isnt going on!

If you or your siblings intend to use it just for big download/upload stuff, I would not recommend wireless and the speeds would go down for everyone. Use cable connections instead. I do that while downloading. I have a wireless laptop and whenever I want to download big files onto my laptop, I use Ethernet connections from my laptop to my desktop through the wireless router!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I've downloaded big stuff and I get speeds of 200kb/sec. This is through wireless too. The other connections in my house were still very stable. May be it is the speed of your connection?

Ronan_UK

Club Cricketer
aussie1st said:
I've downloaded big stuff and I get speeds of 200kb/sec. This is through wireless too. The other connections in my house were still very stable. May be it is the speed of your connection?

What Mb Broadband are you on? I'm on 2.2 MB but I only ever get up to about 65kb a second stable, when I download from Firefox it starts at about 200 and then just goes down in a matter of half seconds to 60kbs... My phone line can't handle it?

Users who are viewing this thread