IPL 2016 - Player Auction

Saroj padhy

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
KKR is dead in the auction. well we bought few good players like Munro.
What they gonna do with the remaining budget.
Mysore said he can produce a film with the remaining budget. :D

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
CSK players in Pune vs Gujarat:

Pune
MS Dhoni
R Ashwin
Faf Du Plessis
Irfan Pathan
Ishwar Pandey
Baba Aparajith

Gujarat
S Raina
R Jadeja
B McCullum
D Bravo
D Smith
S Jakati (former CSK'ian)

Purely for the first five, Gujarat have the best of the CSK lot. Addition of Dwayne Smith helps Gujarat as he can tear apart bowling on these Indian pitches. Smith and BMac will probably open together again for Gujarat. Followed by Raina. Pune have Dhoni and Ashwin, but the rest are not that great.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Stephan Fleming brought a lot of Melbourne Stars players in the Pune team which was definitely surprising. Especially signing of players like Zampa, Peter Handscomb and Scott Boland was really weird to see. Scott Boland bowled really well at the death in BBL but was very average in the ODI series against India. Zampa is a good leg spinner but to waste the overseas player spot for a spinner is very confusing especially if they are not a mystery spinner. I don't know much about Peter Handscomb but his record is nothing spectacular.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Stephan Fleming brought a lot of Melbourne Stars players in the Pune team which was definitely surprising. Especially signing of players like Zampa, Peter Handscomb and Scott Boland was really weird to see. Scott Boland bowled really well at the death in BBL but was very average in the ODI series against India. Zampa is a good leg spinner but to waste the overseas player spot for a spinner is very confusing especially if they are not a mystery spinner. I don't know much about Peter Handscomb but his record is nothing spectacular.
Handscomb is an excellent signing, even if he's been a bit out of nick this year. Zampa could work, but why not just sign Amit Mishra or Prayan Ojha. And I just don't rate Scott Boland.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Handscomb is an excellent signing, even if he's been a bit out of nick this year. Zampa could work, but why not just sign Amit Mishra or Prayan Ojha. And I just don't rate Scott Boland.

Ok well that's good to hear about Handscomb. And my point exactly about Zampa. There is no point in wasting an overseas spot for a spinner when you do have someone like Prgyan Ojha in the auction. The only reason behind the selection of Zampa over Ojha can be that Ojha can't bat. He is a proper number 11 but in case of Zampa, he can hold a bat and score some useful runs down the order. However, I don't see Zampa playing too matches simply because Ashwin is there and if they want a back-up spinner, Ankit Sharma and Baba Aparajith is there as well. Agree with you on Scott Boland.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Ok well that's good to hear about Handscomb. And my point exactly about Zampa. There is no point in wasting an overseas spot for a spinner when you do have someone like Prgyan Ojha in the auction. The only reason behind the selection of Zampa over Ojha can be that Ojha can't bat. He is a proper number 11 but in case of Zampa, he can hold a bat and score some useful runs down the order. However, I don't see Zampa playing too matches simply because Ashwin is there and if they want a back-up spinner, Ankit Sharma and Baba Aparajith is there as well. Agree with you on Scott Boland.

Pune have acquired M Ashwin (Indian uncapped player - took 10 wickets in 6 games in the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 recently) for 4.5 crores and he is a leggie. He better plays for the price tag that he is got from Pune. And for the co-incidence lovers, it would be the Ashwin twins (R Ashwin bowling off spin and M Ashwin bowling leg spin) doing spin duties and both hail from Tamil Nadu.

I don't know if Dhoni has finally understood what Aparajith is capable of. During the time with CSK, Dhoni kept him totally to the point where it got so irritating. Aparajith can be that spinning allrounder if he is picked.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Aparajith can be that spinning allrounder if he is picked.
With a few more overs under his belt, Aparajith may be one of the best all-rounders anywhere in the world. He's got all the ingredients. And yet for some reason, they continue to play Stuart Binny.

If you prepare dustbowls at home, pick a proper spin quartet to play on it - Mishra, Ashwin, Jadeja and Aparajith. Why not?

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
I don't know why Gujarat Lions selected Praveen Kumar when they already had a medium pacer like Kulkarni. Dogra is a good buy, Tye is ridiculous pick despite his great T20 record. We should have bought RP Singh instead who has been so good for Gujarat state team. Steyn is a top buy. A decent bowler with him would have made this team in its first season look great. Still I guess Bravo can be that second bowler in tandem with Steyn. One good Indian batsman and we are already a force on paper.

My XI

Dwayne Smith :os:/Ishan Kishan
Brendon McCullum :os:
Suresh Raina
Dinesh Karthik :wk:
Dwayne Bravo :os:
Eklavya Dwivedi/James Faulkner :os:
Ravindra Jadeja
Shadab Jakati/Pradeep Sangwan
Praveen Kumar/Praveen Tambe @11
Dhaval Kulkarni
Dale Steyn :os: