IPL signings anger Cricket Australia

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ricky Ponting and Adam Gilchrist, together with several other players, could be on a collision course with Cricket Australia over the Indian Premier League ? Getty Images

Cricket Australia has told 11 Australian players including Ricky Ponting and Adam Gilchrist it is disappointed with them for signing a memorandum of understanding (MOU) that would allow them to play in the Indian Premier League. The IPL Twenty20 tournament is officially sanctioned by the ICC and in October it was announced that Ponting, Gilchrist, Andrew Symonds, Brett Lee, Michael Clarke, Michael Hussey and Matthew Hayden were among an extensive list of Australian players to have signed up.

Trouble is, that this tournament might be on when the tour of Pakistan is on, so they'd have to miss the tour of Pakistan to play in this tournament.

Though Australia (or just Andrew Symonds) might abandon this tour due to safety issues, then they could play in this tournament.

I remember reading that their is a clause in the IPL contract which says that international duties come first. Perhaps Sutherland is not aware of this.

Can they do that?
I mean ditching a big International tour?
When is that tour? I found some dates yesterday, between 1st March - 27th April? I think I am going down there in February or March, there are no matches in February, right?

Whoah, a lot of Aussies signing up. I hope they tour Pakistan instead though.

The Pakistan tour starts is in February and March.

I would think there is an international duty clause in their contracts. If there isn't, it is just silly of them to sign off on it in the first place.

I would think there is an international duty clause in their contracts. If there isn't, it is just silly of them to sign off on it in the first place.

Indian board asked the asian cricket council to cancel the asia cup so that IPL can take place.IPL means money to them.

Indian board asked the asian cricket council to cancel the asia cup so that IPL can take place.IPL means money to them.
.... The ACC is probably heavily dependent on the BCCI financially so it wouldn't exactly be smart to cross them. On the contrary, cricket is largely a country-vs-country affair and it is up to the players to ensure this by making sure their contracts don't conflict with their national interests.

Do you guys know when the tour dates will be finalised? And will it be test matches first or ODI's?

That's interesting thought the main problem with it was the Domestic World Champs where guys like Lee could be eligible to play for NSW or his Indian side.
I can't see those players taking money over Australia though, well I hope not.

Why would they want to play in the IPL? I thought this was a league for International rejects? It seems like the world has gone insane and no one wants to play International cricket anymore?

I think Cricket Australia should absolutely twat these players in the wallet department for being dirty, unloyal, money-grubbing mercenaries who are putting their careers on the line for some crappy, poor excuse of a cricket tournament.

Why would they want to play in the IPL? I thought this was a league for International rejects? It seems like the world has gone insane and no one wants to play International cricket anymore?

ICL was that dude. IPL has some of the best players in business and they offfer money which these players will not make in 5 years playing international cricket.

I think Cricket Australia should absolutely twat these players in the wallet department for being dirty, unloyal, money-grubbing mercenaries who are putting their careers on the line for some crappy, poor excuse of a cricket tournament.

Err...you are misinformed Evo.

The IPL is the official tournament and is part of a project which CA helped create. The players' only issue with CA was not consulting them before signing, because they were under the assumption that CA would be fine with it.

So this isn't the rebel league that players are selling themselves out for?

Users who are viewing this thread