IPL signings anger Cricket Australia

Ricky Ponting is a massive hypocrite. Not long ago he was complaining about too much cricket and the player burnout issue, and now he signs himself up for some wham-bang tournament that will see him earn quite a bit of money. Tool.

Why would they want to play in the IPL? I thought this was a league for International rejects? It seems like the world has gone insane and no one wants to play International cricket anymore?

That's the ICL.

Bad for Cricket, good for Pakistan, looking we are down in the ranking. I hope we win.. (if their main players did not play)

Ricky Ponting is a massive hypocrite. Not long ago he was complaining about too much cricket and the player burnout issue, and now he signs himself up for some wham-bang tournament that will see him earn quite a bit of money. Tool.

When money is raised, everyone has heaps of energy and is suddenly not tired. :rolleyes:

That's the ICL.
It's still stupid. A competition like this will probably make me lose interest in cricket because it's Twenty20 which is a waste of time and International Tests & ODI's will go to hell.

Who'd watch this anyway? You get all of these great players and the chances are you'll only see them perform for only acouple of overs because the format is only limited to 20 overs a side.

I will definately go for 20-20 rather than sit through 50-50. In most 50-50 games you know the outcome in 15 overs of second innings. And overs after 20 till 40 are so boring.

I can't imagine someone like Ponting earning little over ?50K.
He probably makes a ton from prize money. :D

I think he realized how conditioned he had become to playing cricket all the time since Australia has really had an empty schedule the last couple of months.

Last edited:
I think he realized how conditioned he had become to playing cricket all the time since Australia has really had an empty schedule the last couple of months.

Haha, are you serious? Because if Ponting really reacts that way due to not playing cricket for a little while, then he's even more stupid than I thought. Wait until Australia get in the middle of their season and have a jam-packed schedule.

Haha, are you serious? Because if Ponting really reacts that way due to not playing cricket for a little while, then he's even more stupid than I thought. Wait until Australia get in the middle of their season and have a jam-packed schedule.
Then it'll be back to complaining. ;)

What's awesome is that all the Aussies that are signing up for this "hit-and-giggle" tournament.

Heres what Gilly has to say
Australian vice-captain and wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist has admitted that key players of the current team could be viewed as being hypocrites for agreeing in principle to play in the lucrative Indian Premier League, while at the same time complaining of too much cricket.

Gilchrist, one of about a dozen Australian players to have signed a memorandum of understanding with the IPL, said players may be sending mixed messages to Cricket Australia and world administrators in their bid for more time off by signing with the IPL.

"I do see that, I think that's definitely something Cricket Australia will feel, and that's something we as a playing group have to consider," the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Gilchrist, as saying.

"(But) it has been going on for years and years. Players have been going to England in off-seasons and taking opportunities to play and learn the game and earn some good money over in England. So, it's not new, he added."

While Australia's Test and One-day players face a busy next 12 months, they have only recently come off a five-month break between winning the World Cup and the start of the Twenty20 World Championships in September.

The ?50k per year is a retainer, just for the sake of making the contract binding.

They will receive match fees, training fees and expenses which will add up to a lot more over the course of a year.
Sureshot is correct though, CA uses a performance-based payscale to determine retainers. The base contract 18 months ago was AU$150k and though it has likely inflated by some margin, that is still the base contract for fringe players who have no performance to speak of; Ponting is likely paid AU$500k, plus various prizes, awards, match fees and tour fees. Australian players also have an agreement that grants Test players 25% of gate takings from home games.

He probably makes a ton from prize money. :D

Michael Vaughan as England captain is on a central contract worth 100,000 Sterling as year as the minimal payment. He is the top earner obviously as captain. He earns on top of that ?2,500 per game in match fee. He also gets all travel covered and hotel stays paid for by the ECB, on top of that he gets an ECB funded car and recieves all his Sponsored gear for free, GM Cricket, England training kits, Asics shoes, Skins baselayers. etc. He would of course recieve fees over ?2000 a game for Man Of the Matches.

On top of this even he also recieves all the money for any other work he does for companies in an advertising sense. Although he's not a big earner in terms of being the advertising player for a campaign. Others such as KP recieve much more for Watch sponsorships etc and putting his name on products. He is also paid by GM to use their products and revieves a fee from the company who sticker the bottom on his bat, last summer it was Barclays.

It's safe to say that Vaughan earns ?300,000 plus a year with everying added, with no fees taken away for travel or neccerssary equipment. So considering that England is supposedly the closest pay relation to what the Aussie's get, I imagine Ponting is also around the same mark as Vaughan, possibly more depending on how much advertising work Ponting does in Australia, he'll obvious recieve a large sum from Codemasters, for Ricky Ponting International Cricket etc.

Users who are viewing this thread