Is Lara the second best of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People were saying about Bradman's technique. Well, different styles work in different eras, that's how it develops, you cannot compare techniques of the modern era to that of someone's 70-80 years ago. It may have been used to combat the style of bowling back then, he played on some very up and down wickets with minimal protection. His technique was brilliant for the era, in fifty years people might be commenting on modern batsman's inefficient techniques. And no other batsman came close to his record, that says most of it. I don't think Grace is the third best cricketer of all time, he was definitely the most influential cricketer of all time though.

Bradman seemed more attacking when I saw clips. But boy, did he has some brilliant shots and hand eye co-ordination! Batted, well, like Sachin, but with more improvised shots (Pulling from wide of offstump, driving inside out -probably the first to do so- cutting legstump deliveries). Not the best technique, but he had some gift to play those kind of shots and still average around 100 per innings!

Sachin the best to have played ODI cricket and probably the second best batsman of Test cricket for his sheer talent and its maintenance.

Tendulkar,the icon has never taken over Tendulkar,the batsman.It is what takes him over the rest but for Bradman.

Its really just a matter of opinion. I can't really judge the batsmen I haven't watched bat like Bradman, Richards, Pollock, etc. But in our modern era, I would rate Lara above any batsman, including Sachin. But that's just because I like Lara's style better than anybody's.

I don't think anyone can argue (that said someone always does :p ) that Lara and Tendulkar are the two special batsman of their generation, and seperating them is essentially impossible. Every West Indian and most Pakistanis going will say Lara, every Indian will say Sachin, and the rest it's just down to who they like watching more. Personally I'd rather watch Lara in full flight, he is breathtaking at times.

One thing I do believe however, is that over time, and through history Lara will find himself above Tendulkar in the pecking order. This is not to say that he was definately the better batsman, but the fact that he has twice set the World Record for test match scores, leads me to believe that once their careers are nothing more than memorys and video clips, it will be Lara that is remembered most.

Just my opinion of course, and make what you will of a duck sitting in a puddle :p

Bradman 2nd?.....
I dream't of the day someone would say something as crazy as that.

He meant second best 'cricketer'. Bradman was without a doubt the greatest batsman, but he means in every aspect of the game. Sobers, great fielder and one of the best at the time with an aggressive approach, could bowl his left-arm spin very well, yet also had the ability to take the new ball and as a change bowler with pace. And everybody knows about his class batting. Also an influential player and pretty good thinker.

James219 said:
He meant second best 'cricketer'. Bradman was without a doubt the greatest batsman, but he means in every aspect of the game. Sobers, great fielder and one of the best at the time with an aggressive approach, could bowl his left-arm spin very well, yet also had the ability to take the new ball and as a change bowler with pace. And everybody knows about his class batting. Also an influential player and pretty good thinker.
Bradman-Greatest Batsman, Greatest Cricketer. Anyone who disputes that really knows nothing about the game.

Jarryd said:
Bradman-Greatest Batsman, Greatest Cricketer. Anyone who disputes that really knows nothing about the game.

Greatest batsman does not mean greatest cricketer. I don't dispute that he is miles above anyone else in that department, but 'cricketer' refers to somoene being a well-rounded player.

Cricketville said:
Tendulkar averages 54 in Australia. Lara averages 41 in Australia.

I'm sure this helps :onpc

From Cricinfo....

"India 1st innings R M B 4 6

SR Tendulkar not out 241 613 436 33 0
VVS Laxman b Gillespie 178 403 298 30 0

Total (7 wickets dec, 187.3 overs, 806 mins) 705

Bowling O M R W
Lee 39.3 5 201 4 (18nb)
Gillespie 45 11 135 3 (5nb, 4w)
Bracken 37 13 97 0
MacGill 38 5 146 0 (2nb)
Waugh 2 0 6 0
Katich 17 1 84 0
Martyn 9 1 27 0
"

Bowling attack missing, Warne, and McGrath, how often has Lara had that benefit? Stats can help tell a story, but they don't tell it all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread