Your Cricket Kicked from the club because i don't wear a helmet.

Seoken

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I was just recently kick out of my local club. Surfers Paradise Benowa Cricket Club to be exact.This all started because i play U17 and 5th grade and don't wear a helmet (this is because my game is predominately back-foot).

This was never a problem for the first two and a half months of training (with the senior grades) nor the previous season. But then one day (our second match this season) the so called "coach" (a guy I've never even seen before) says it's club "policy" for all juniors to wear a helmet with a full face grill.

I ended up refusing to wear a helmet with a grill because it seriously impedes my ability to play the ball. This is especially prominent when i try to play a hook, i just can't see the ball though the grill.
I also believe that it is much more DANGEROUS for me to wear a helmet. I like to GET OUT OF THE WAY of the ball, i don't try to lunge face first at the ball (as most modern batsmen tend to do on the Gold Coast and in Australia)

Thing is i never wore a helmet last year in the same grade and now magically this year i have to wear one?
I'm 6" 2' , 107kg and only 16y/o, and I REALLY doubt that kids my age will be able to bounce me to any great effect, ESPECIALLY on grass wickets and even if they do I'll just try to hook it.

So this went back and forth for while when BAM I'm out of the club. The thing is their only reasoning for me to put the helmet on was because it's club "policy". The rule (for the whole competition) can't and doesn't say that i HAVE to wear a helmet.

So in fact they are cheating by forcing me to play cricket the way THEY want me to play. I mean, don't discredit someone who wants to wear a helmet go right ahead and wear one, but trying to force me to wear one? GET F***ED I DON'T WANT TO WEAR A HELMET. And honestly that is not premise to kick me out the club.

So to wrap this up, I believe i should not have to wear a helmet when I'm playing cricket.

Now i would like your thoughts on this matter.

Rules are rules.

Like it or not, i make you right but hey you have to go with it, or go play somewhere else

Yeah, rules are rules, it's the same in the UK, although there isn't much U17 cricket in my area, you just move up from U15s into the senior sides

Rules are rule ,but I would doubt they could get up to 6 foot using a grass wicket

I think it's ICC rules for under 18s or something. If it helps you can apparently do what you like once you get to 18.

It's about liability for the club. If you get hurt, they are potentially liable.

----------

Also, you say you'll never be bounced. That is just one of many scenarios. You could top edge into your teeth.....get hit by a wild throw ..... etc.

When I was active, the only people who didn't wear helmets all had to be over 18 and sign a waiver releasing the club of any liability.

The only time we had to wear a helmet was in school comps. People were laughed at for wearing them in junior cricket (under 16's) and I only remember one guy wearing one in men's, probably because he was a cock and was bounced often.

If it's club policy there's nothing you can do except give them the middle finger and join another club.

I've had one in the nets that hit the shoulder and bounced up into my jaw - still didn't make me wear a helmet though. :p

The thing is, I LOVE playing really really fast short pitched deliveries. The faster the better, it just means i can hit em harder ;).

The sad thing is it was just a few people in the club that decided this "policy" it was never discussed with the rest of the club...

Also, you say you'll never be bounced. That is just one of many scenarios. You could top edge into your teeth.....get hit by a wild throw ..... etc.

I never said I would never be bounced, i just said that chances are nobody will bounce me effectively.

Last edited:
agree

I totally agree with you! im 15 and i hate wearing a helmet, you can't see the ball properley. Im also a back foot player and would benefit from not wearing a helmet.

Fair enough we have to wear them this season(new rule) and so far I've been hit on the grille twice.

I was just recently kick out of my local club. Surfers Paradise Benowa Cricket Club to be exact.This all started because i play U17 and 5th grade and don't wear a helmet (this is because my game is predominately back-foot).

This was never a problem for the first two and a half months of training (with the senior grades) nor the previous season. But then one day (our second match this season) the so called "coach" (a guy I've never even seen before) says it's club "policy" for all juniors to wear a helmet with a full face grill.

I ended up refusing to wear a helmet with a grill because it seriously impedes my ability to play the ball. This is especially prominent when i try to play a hook, i just can't see the ball though the grill.
I also believe that it is much more DANGEROUS for me to wear a helmet. I like to GET OUT OF THE WAY of the ball, i don't try to lunge face first at the ball (as most modern batsmen tend to do on the Gold Coast and in Australia)

Thing is i never wore a helmet last year in the same grade and now magically this year i have to wear one?
I'm 6" 2' , 107kg and only 16y/o, and I REALLY doubt that kids my age will be able to bounce me to any great effect, ESPECIALLY on grass wickets and even if they do I'll just try to hook it.

So this went back and forth for while when BAM I'm out of the club. The thing is their only reasoning for me to put the helmet on was because it's club "policy". The rule (for the whole competition) can't and doesn't say that i HAVE to wear a helmet.

So in fact they are cheating by forcing me to play cricket the way THEY want me to play. I mean, don't discredit someone who wants to wear a helmet go right ahead and wear one, but trying to force me to wear one? GET F***ED I DON'T WANT TO WEAR A HELMET. And honestly that is not premise to kick me out the club.

So to wrap this up, I believe i should not have to wear a helmet when I'm playing cricket.

Now i would like your thoughts on this matter.

Look, I'm 15 and I could bounce the living crap out of you on a grass wicket. Also, and more importantly, grass wickets tend to have quite uneven and unpredictable bounce, especially if it's uncovered. All you need is one ball to go through the top, and have fun with the dental surgery. I don't think it was right that you were kicked out - they shoulda warned you - but all the same, you should wear a lid.

Don't see why you can't play the hook shot with a helmet on though. I can do it fine, and I don't think I've missed many or any for that matter recently. Don't get that many though which annoys me as I love to play off the back foot.

Wearing a helmet is good for your own sake as it saves you from injuries on your head or face,also you can't go against the rules.

Users who are viewing this thread