Languages

I don't know if its been mentioned, but just to clarify for people who might be wondering. Urdu and Hindi are linguistically very similar. Though the scripts are completely different. Hindi is based on the Sanskrit script whereas Urdu script is based on Arabic and Persian languages. Both languages borrow words from their parent languages. Although Urdu is famous from borrowing words from just about every kind of language. As for which one was derived from the other is a bit like the chicken and egg debate as far as my knowledge goes.

Back on topic, I speak the following:

• Urdu
  • English
  • Punjabi
  • Spanish (some)
  • Arabic (can read only)

usy said:
Anyone know which country is the most Languages spoken?
India has over 3300 languages (not dialects). I don't know if that is the most in any country.

My options have been finalised and I'm happy to say that German is one of them.

jk16_4 said:
i know :-
telegu (very lil)
:D
how much telugu do u really know?

btw...i am a fluent speaker of Telugu and English and can only understand Hindi....oh yeah....i can speak french too!

i know

English
Urdu
Pashto
Panjabi(Do Understand and talk a bit coz of friends)
Arabic(Lill bit)
Hindi(understand thanx to TV and Films)

Last edited:
I learnt German, Indonesian and Japanese at school.
I am limited to fairy basic conversations, if i had a conversation with someone who speaks one of the languages they would probably think there was something wrong with me! lol :p

English;
French;
German (tiny bit)

It amazes me how people can actively know and use more than one language. My friend speaks Portguese as well as English and it baffles me as to how he's fluent. Constantly speaking would help, but still...

English fluent
Hindi fluent
Gujrati (first language) fluent
french fluent
Punjabi (can understand, can speak a bit)

whereas my old dog, when I still lived in India could understand 4 different lanuages

she understood words like: "sit" "stay" "give paw" "down" "come here" in...

Hindi
Gujrati
Marhati
English

Users who are viewing this thread