Languages

hondeyho said:
I know French and a bit of Urdu, (passed on from Drewska), strange though - if I had the chance I'd learn Hebrew, (whatever Drewska says I am not Jewish)

:laugh.

I know basic English, basic French, Urdu, Hindi, Afrikaans and i might learn some hebrew.

sohummisra said:
Well, I'd say the difference between Urdu and Hindi has more to do with the script than the accent. ;)

I know:

1. English
2. Oriya
3. Hindi
4. French
5. Spanish
6. Bahasa Indonesia (sorta)

I can also count to 10 in Arabic and sing bits of the UAE national anthem.

Now, I can do the following accents ;):

1. Indian
2. American
3. British
4. French
5. Jamaican
6. African-American

Sigh.

What is Onya?

I got Spanish, English, and American (;)) all down. English and American may be the same "technically", but with the prevalance of slang, they become very different indeed.

Drewska said:
:laugh.

I know basic English, basic French, Urdu, Hindi, Afrikaans and i might learn some hebrew.

Basic English? :p
That's quite a list, though...
I've only ever learnt basic Italian- apart from English obviously- and that was last year, as our school just don't have the staff capable of teaching LOTE.
Are you part Russian or something, JamesyJames?

For me English :) Use to know French, German, Spanish and Chinese. I can still understand Chinese but can't really speak it :(

Good one Sureshot - accents

I can do the following accents-ish, (or sometimes):

Irish and (with Drewska's help :p)
Scouse :D

But aren't there various dialects and forms of the indigenous Maori language? That's how it is with Aboriginal tongues, as there are/were thousands of different groups with fluctuating dialects depending on their region of origin and beliefs (I think).

Well I can't even remember my Maori lessons, there are different tribes so there might be different dialects. But basically we just call it Maori. Do you guys have different names for Aborigine language relating to the different regions or is it just called Aborigine language.

Sureshot said:
What is Onya?

I don't know what's Onya. Did you mean Oriya? It's an Indian language mostly spoken by the natives of Orissa state.

EDIT: I haven't seen the post below:(.

Apart from English , I know Bengali and Hindi.

aussie1st said:
Well I can't even remember my Maori lessons, there are different tribes so there might be different dialects. But basically we just call it Maori. Do you guys have different names for Aborigine language relating to the different regions or is it just called Aborigine language.

Yeah, there's different names for the languages relating to the different tribal groups. They don't teach it in our schools, so I wouldn't have a clue about the actual language, but I know there's thousands of different forms and dialects as each culture developed differently in terms of sacred relationships and beliefs.

Users who are viewing this thread