Latif calls ban for Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pak_cricketer

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
FAISALABAD, Pakistan, Nov 20 (Reuters) -

Former Pakistan captain Rashid Latif, whose career was hastened to an unceremonious end due to a five-match ban in 2003, has called on the International Cricket Council to impose a similar suspension on England batsman Ian Bell.

Part-time bowler Bell took one wicket on the first day of the second test against Pakistan on Sunday

His victim was Mohammad Yousuf who scored a superb 78 in Pakistan's 300 for four before falling to a contentious caught and bowled.

Yousuf stood his ground for a while after his drive was picked up low by Bell. TV replays suggested the ball may have clipped the ground as the catch was completed.

Umpires Darrell Hair and Simon Taufel at square leg did not consult the TV umpire and Bell's appeal for a catch was upheld.

"Two years ago the match referee ended my career because he felt I had claimed an unfair catch off the ground against Bangladesh. I want to see what they do with Bell," Latif told Reuters.

Wicketkeeper Latif, who played 37 tests and 166 one-day internationals, was captain in the home series against Bangladesh in 2003 when he was banned for five one-dayers.

Match referee Mike Procter imposed the ban after Latif claimed a diving catch to dismiss batsman Alok Kapali.

After the ban, Inzamam-ul-Haq was appointed in Latif's place and retains the post. Latif faded away after playing in one more one-day series, against South Africa a month later.

Latif said: "You look at the TV replays and it is obvious that Bell has claimed an unfair catch. The ball touched the ground while he was completing the catch and he would have known about it."

He said the match referee for the series, Roshan Mahanama, should impose the ban to give a clear message there was no bias over imposing ICC rules.

Yousuf only trudged back to the pavilion after being called by coach Bob Woolmer as the umpires conferred.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Although I haven't seen any TV replays, either of the catch or Bell's reaction. Did he speak to the umpires?

Look, if the same thing happened to england you would be crying right now, A game should be fair no matter which team it is. If He got banned, then Bell deserves to be banned.

What a ******.

It's not Bells fault it's the umpire you idiot.

let's ban Salman Butt for not being given out in the first test. :sarcasm:

Stupidity.

Thats a diffrent story, this has happened with a lot o people and usually they got banned, that means Bell has to be banned according to the law.

If Bell knew he hadn't caught it cleanly, then yes he should be banned. But if he did know he hadn't caught it cleanly, and looking at the replays, I don't think he could have known either way, he shouldn't be banned.

The 3rd umpire is never conclusive on catches. I guarantee referal would have given him not out.

The umpires were sure enough it was genuine not to refer it to the third umpire, so they were obviously happy with it.

I can't compare Bell and the other bloke because I have not seen either scenario.

I tell you what, let's ban Shabbir Ahmed for chucking, afterall, he took 4 wickets in the 1st innings at Multan, then Tresco in the 2nd innings. I don't want Shabbir banned and nor should Bell be. Going by his reaction he clearly wasn't sure, but the umpires seemed satisfied hence Yousuf going!

Why didn't the umpires jsut refer to the 3rd umpire. In that article it says they choose not to use the 3rd umpire. That way we wouldn't have this mess we have now. But on evidence if it just cliped the ground there is no way Bell would have known about that.

aussie1st said:
Why didn't the umpires jsut refer to the 3rd umpire. In that article it says they choose not to use the 3rd umpire. That way we wouldn't have this mess we have now. But on evidence if it just cliped the ground there is no way Bell would have known about that.
They couldn't refer it to the third umpire.

andrew_nixon said:
They couldn't refer it to the third umpire.

I'm pretty sure you can refer these calls can't you? I always remember in Aus where if a catch was in doubt they sent it to the 3rd umpire. So have they taken this rule out? or is it a case where you can't refer a caught and bowled?

aussie1st said:
I'm pretty sure you can refer these calls can't you? I always remember in Aus where if a catch was in doubt they sent it to the 3rd umpire. So have they taken this rule out? or is it a case where you can't refer a caught and bowled?
You can only refer a catch if both umpires were unsighted.

And Yousuf walked anyway.

And he should have been out lbw to Giles when he was on 9 too.

I think yousaf should have stood his ground, and maybe caz of that ,umpires didn't reffered it to the 3rd umpire. I also saw in replays that the coach woolmer and the person( i donot know his name) siting with him were telling yousaf to come back without arguing. donot exactly ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread