LG ICC Rankings Discussion

barmyarmy said:
Rankings updated although not yet taking account of the 4th test between England and Pakistan.
My question is how on earth does Jacques Kallis retain that no.1 all rounder spot despite his bowling having been useless for the past 3 or 4 years?
That never made sense to me either. They don't even have an explanation of how they rate all-rounders. Surely a player should be ranked top all rounder taking into account both his batting and bowling stats. Kallis has been averaging over 37 with the ball in the past two years. But he's probably still top ranked due to his over 60 batting average over the same amount of time.

Drewska said:
The Geraint Jones being ahead of them lot bit.
I didn't bother looking up all their stats, but I can tell you that Akmal, Pathan, Afridi, and Butt have been very inconsistent with their batting in ODIs. Akmal hasn't done much since his back to back centuries against England, 34 being his highest score since.

zreh said:
I never pay attention to the rankings, they're as bias as could ever be...Gilchrist is still at no.1 for ODI batsmen :rolleyes:

I could easily think of 10 batsmen that are better then him, and that I would want on my team over him...

Yeah I know, it's bizzare.

Drewska said:
I must say these rankings are screwed, Alex Wharf is still on the ODI bowling rankings!

Then this just gets stupid.

55 G.O. Jones ENG 520 531 v Sri Lanka, 28/06/2006
56 Kamran Akmal PAK 518 518 v Scotland, 27/06/2006
57 Aftab Ahmed BAN 511 516 v Kenya, 13/08/2006
58 I.K. Pathan IND 507 540 v Pakistan, 19/04/2006
58 Shahid Afridi PAK 507 663 v India, 02/10/1997
60 W.W. Hinds WI 502 594 v Australia, 01/06/2003
61 Shahriar Nafees BAN 501 513 v Zimbabwe, 06/08/2006
62 V.S. Solanki ENG 500 539 v Pakistan, 21/12/2005
63 S.C. Ganguly IND 497 844 v South Africa, 17/03/2000
64 Salman Butt PAK 496 547 v India, 06/02/2006

Hmmm, I wouldn't say it's completely stupid. The only real batsman on that list that could come up with arguement is Ganguly, who hasn't played months!

nightprowler10 said:
That never made sense to me either. They don't even have an explanation of how they rate all-rounders. Surely a player should be ranked top all rounder taking into account both his batting and bowling stats. Kallis has been averaging over 37 with the ball in the past two years. But he's probably still top ranked due to his over 60 batting average over the same amount of time.
I think they form some sort of composite of the batting and bowling ratings. Maybe they add them. :/ I'll do some more research.

Here's the dirty:

Q. How do you rate all-rounders?
A. We have devised an all-rounder index that gives a good indication of who the best all-rounders in the world are in Test and One Day cricket. To obtain the index, simply take the player's batting and bowling points, multiply them together and divide by 1000. So a player with 800 batting and 0 bowling gets an index of zero (because he can't bowl and therefore isn't an all-rounder!), 600 batting/200 bowling gets 120, and 400 batting/400 bowling points gets an index of 160. An index of 300 plus is world class. There are far more all-rounders in ODIs than Tests, but the same names tend to appear high in both lists. Incidentally, this index does omit one important all-rounder skill, namely fielding. There is no satisfactory way of rating fielding skills statistically at present.

http://www.lgiccrankings.com/faqs.php

sohummisra said:
I think they form some sort of composite of the batting and bowling ratings. Maybe they add them. :/ I'll do some more research.

Here's the dirty:

http://www.lgiccrankings.com/faqs.php
Thanks for finding that. I'm not sure I'm fully satisfied with the way they rank all-rounders. An extremely good batsman, who bowls a bit shouldn't be topping that list IMO. Their system seems too simplistic to me.

Pakistan would have gone second in the ratings had they won the third test and hence the series against SA but instead they lost and have now dropped from 112 to 108 points. They still hold on to third spot though.

Pakistan were second prior to the tour of England, during which they lost the series 0-3, and as a result their spot. However England's dismal Ashes series gave Inzamam-ul-Haq's side a good oppurtunity to regain second place.

South Africa in the mean time have now won their last three home series, with two recent ones against India and Pakistan. However their poor away run in recent times had seen them drop in the rankings and even after the win over Pakistan are sixth in the table, level on points (102) with Sri Lanka.

Nice to see Asif (#8) move up the rankings at light speed. He's the third Pakistani bowler who's entered the top 10 rankings in 9 test matches. That makes 4 Pakistani bowlers in the top 20 bowlers list (Akhtar 10, Kaneria 13, Gul 18) and 3 batsmen in the top 20 batsmen list (Yousuf 2, Younis 10, Inzamam 12). Pretty accurate as Yousuf is our best batsman and Asif the best bowler.

Asif deserves to be in the top 10, and I am sure he'll close in on the top three in no time. Yousuf who had a fantastic 2006 is also rightfully at number 2, and if he continues like this he might just topple Punter although that the latter himself is always scoring runs.

well aussies next series is in sri lanka so who knows how he'll fare there

lankans will make dead turners all the way through and he might struggle there

m_vaughan said:
Asif deserves to be in the top 10, and I am sure he'll close in on the top three in no time. Yousuf who had a fantastic 2006 is also rightfully at number 2, and if he continues like this he might just topple Punter although that the latter himself is always scoring runs.

I back Asif to easily break into top 5 in the world in test match rankings but not sure about top 3, it will probably be 1. Murali 2. Ntini 3. Pollock/Hoggard

Meh, I think sooner rather then later he'll replace Murali at the top. The guys is going to be a legend.
Most effective bowler going around at the moment.

gambino said:
well aussies next series is in sri lanka so who knows how he'll fare there

lankans will make dead turners all the way through and he might struggle there
I remember such questions being raised before the Aussies last toured Sri Lanka but ended up thrashing the home side 3-0 i think.

The Aussies are the best team in the world, and Punter is the best batsman. And one of the reasons why is that they adapt to all conditions and win series on alien conditions as well.

kodos said:
I back Asif to easily break into top 5 in the world in test match rankings but not sure about top 3, it will probably be 1. Murali 2. Ntini 3. Pollock/Hoggard

The same Pollock that has been averaging 40 with the ball in his last year of test cricket? He is unfortunately a waning force in the test arena, and like McGrath needs the pitch to have a bit of zip to it to be as effective as they were 5 years ago.

Murali will almost certainly be top until he retires. For Sri Lanka they just lack a bowler in tests to take 5-10 wickets a match consistently, apart from him, hence why he has something ridiculous like 6 test 10'fors on the trot!

I'm just saying Pollock may be 3 in the world because SA pitches recently have been conducive to seam bowling and atm. he's at no. 4 which is not bad considering his poor record in the last couple of years. Perhaps it also suggests the poor bowling stocks around the world in the modern era.

Users who are viewing this thread