Looking Ahead - India's tour of South Africa 2013-2014

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
It's also obvious that Raina got worked over in England. But then again, how long should that series be a black mark against his name for?

His 'black mark' is his weakness to play short stuff bowled by fast bowlers. If he can work that out somehow then he can do really well in Tests which would be great for India as he's a cool headed batsman under pressure and a brilliant fielder what MSD wants.

----------

Not even Sachin. He is getting bowled far too often these days.

Getting castled 3 consecutive times. Is he gonna end up like Dravid? :spy

Epic

Panel of Selectors
His black mark, only way it's going to get erased for me is if he goes and plays County Cricket.

S

Satan666

His 'black mark' is his weakness to play short stuff bowled by fast bowlers.

Which of the present Indian batsmen play short bowling properly, or seem comfortable at the crease against same?

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
His black mark, only way it's going to get erased for me is if he goes and plays County Cricket.

Will he get the time for that? The tight schedule in international cricket + IPL probably won't allow him to unless he gets dropped from the team like Harbhajan Singh.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Now now, the IPL isn't something he HAS to take part in, he could always say no and go play County Cricket for 2 months or so. If there's a will, there's a way.

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
Now now, the IPL isn't something he HAS to take part in, he could always say no and go play County Cricket for 2 months or so. If there's a will, there's a way.

I doubt he or anybody would do that. :lol

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Which of the present Indian batsmen play short bowling properly, or seem comfortable at the crease against same?

Well exactly. Gambhir and Sehwag have been found out by bounce and movement in the last 3 series (Eng, Aus, NZ), but far less people are worried about them for some reason. They just want to complain about Raina and Rohit Sharma. Everyone has their own preferences though...:p

ODI performances shouldn't result in Test chances though...

So Ashwin should have been required to take bucket loads of Ranji wickets before getting his shot? I see your point, but because there is hardly any time to play first class cricket in the current international calendar it is just not practical to make every player in your XI have first class form under their belt.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
So Ashwin should have been required to take bucket loads of Ranji wickets before getting his shot? I see your point, but because there is hardly any time to play first class cricket in the current international calendar it is just not practical to make every player in your XI have first class form under their belt.

You're making it out as if Ashwin got in without ANY FC experience, he's played 40 odd matches and has 182 wickets to his name. The thing with Raina for me is, he isn't needed, he really isn't, we have better options in Rahane/Rohit/Manoj.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I know some of my Indian friends here disagree, but I completely agree with Sanjay Manjrekar when he says Sachin and Zaheer should be preserved for South Africa 2013. That's our next big target, and we should start preparing for it right away! And the first step of that preparation would be to sit down and have a chat with both Tendulkar and Zaheer and ask them if they are also on the same page. If they are not, it would be time to shake hands with them right now and move on amicably.

Sachin still has a bit of cricket to offer. With a highly formidable pace attack that South Africa possess right now, throwing in all fresh guys (only Kohli has had a taste of high quality fast bowling in overseas tests) at the #1 team in the world in their own backyard could be disastrous. Having one guy in there who has had that experience and who can lead the other guys around him is a must. Tendulkar is that guy. If he says right now that he is not sure about his future plans, then the selectors must ask him to announce retirement now or take the most drastic step of DROPPING HIM (which has never happened in Indian cricket history).

With Zaheer, he will be 34+ by the time we reach South Africa next year. For a fast bowler, that's the twilight of his career considering that most fast bowlers retire around that time. He should also be told that the South Africa tour is the most important one and if he expects to last till then, he should be told to preserve himself or else back out so that other fast bowlers can be readied.

As far as Sehwag and Gambhir go, I won't be surprised to see two completely new openers opening for India in South Africa. Gambhir's test form has dipped alarmingly and for long now. And Sehwag as we all know has only one method of dealing with bowlers - my way or the highway!

Epic

Panel of Selectors
As far as Sehwag and Gambhir go, I won't be surprised to see two completely new openers opening for India in South Africa. Gambhir's test form has dipped alarmingly and for long now. And Sehwag as we all know has only one method of dealing with bowlers - my way or the highway!

Rahane and Mukund?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Rahane and Mukund?

Rahane is definitely a guy who is going to open for India one day when we decide to not go ahead with either one of Sehwag or Gambhir for the opening slot. Don't know who the other guy would be. It would be too early to slot Chand into the opening slot that too in tests this early.

If Sachin continues and if we have to find a new opening combination, either one of Sehwag or Gambhir wont be playing in South Africa. If we have to find a completely new combination not featuring both, its likely both won't be playing in South Africa. Coz Pujara, Kohli, Sachin and Dhoni are sure shots. That leaves only Raina's position and most likely Yuvraj might come in to claim that position.

I think I would take back my earlier statement about "not being surprised to see an entirely new opening combo". I don't think our selectors will think that drastically and choose a very new opening combo. Maximum they might drop either Sehwag or Gambhir and get a new guy in.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
You're making it out as if Ashwin got in without ANY FC experience, he's played 40 odd matches and has 182 wickets to his name. The thing with Raina for me is, he isn't needed, he really isn't, we have better options in Rahane/Rohit/Manoj.

Yes but how many first class wickets has Ashwin got AFTER he started playing for India in ODIs and T20Is?? That is the real question because I'm arguing that once you make the Indian team in limited overs, it's very difficult to play a lot of first class cricket to boost your Test chances. It's the same situation for Virat Kohli. These are guys who haven't made their case for a Test spot through their first class form, they've made it through playing well in limited overs cricket for India. Yet fans are holding ODI/T20 form AGAINST Raina saying that it shouldn't count. You can only play the cricket that's on the schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread