M Johnson the right choice?

M.Di Venuto

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/318688.html

With Mitchell Johnson set to make his debut at the Gabba this week against Sri Lanka, what do people think of this decision? Was it the right one? Or did any of Tait, Bracken or Hilfenhaus deserve a go ahead of Johnson?

One Stat that I was surprised at is Johnson and Hilfy have both played the same number of FC games, being 22. From these games Johnson has 69 wickets and Hilfy has 102, with the respective averages at about 30 and 28. I accept Johnson took a bit longer to find rhythm in FC cricket, but did Hilfys rapid rise deserve selection?
[edit] In addition their respective Strike Rates are 55 and 53.7. Pretty Similar. Also Johnson has bowled 3799 balls, while Hilfy has 5482. Is this a huge consideration? It is a pretty big difference in the workload.

Keeping in mind Hilfy was the most used pace bowler in Australian FC cricket last year. Not sure of the stats there.

Im from Tassie and have seen Hilfy bowl a lot. So I am pretty bias :p

Last edited:
We shall see, but I don't think it has been fair by Hilfenhaus at all.

Last season Hilf took 60 wickets at 25.4. In the one-dayers, he took a less impressive 13 at 27.5, but he was most economical bowler to take 10+ wickets, a McGrath-like 3.65 rpo. Hilf is very accurate and besides the outswinger, bowls a sharp bouncer and gets good nip off the seam at brisk pace. He has clearly been a tough bowler to face for many of the best Australian players in both formats, but is still only 6th in the pecking order.

Considering the roughness of Johnson, it is surprising they had him in the side almost before he was fit to bowl. To be fair, it isn't unreasonable or unheard of to see 'something special' bowlers to be earmarked, in Johnson's case he might be as fast as any left armer to play. However, there was little wish to see him hone his craft and it has only been against India that his bowling has seemed reasonable.

For such a complete young player it is disappointing that Hilf is only around the team not getting chances to prove yea or nay, but Johnson went the same path seeing many games as 12th man, so Hilf's time may be soon.

I'd rather have seen Hilfy myself. I don't rate Johnson much to be honest.

Johnson has improved quite a bit but he still doesn't look ready for International cricket. He didn't have the most impressive First Class season so clearly the selectors are going on favourtism again. I hope he goes well as on paper a left arm quick that can swing the ball will be a handy addition. How he goes is another story.

I would have went Hilfy but not much we can do about it.

Johnson is way to over rated...got a few wickets in an ODI series; should have been Hilfy/Tait

I like Johnson, he can swing the ball and he has pace. Iwas very impressed with his performance in the ODI's against India. Johnson is certainty for me.

I see no reason to believe that Johnson is in any way better than Hilfenhaus. Hilf can bowl just as fast, in the 140s when he wants to be, but adjusts to suit the conditions, as when he is swinging it, the speed is not really necessary.

But the selectors have made strange decisions before, and quite often they've paid off. I remember reading a quote about Warney on debut, someone said something like "nothing more than your average club-standard leggie". They could be right on this one, and if so, well done. But stop screwing around with Hilfy, if he's not playing, let him play with Tassie. We want him.

Well I'm going to say it right here and now. Hilfy will end up having a more successful international career than Johnson. Shoot me down if you like, but I honestly believe that

Johnson bowled alright in India, albeit most of his wickets in that series were fairly lucky. It wasn't as if he dominated.

Well I'm going to say it right here and now. Hilfy will end up having a more successful international career than Johnson. Shoot me down if you like, but I honestly believe that

You are right.

Nope. The only reason he gets wickets in ODI's is because of left hand angle. You need to do more than that to get wickets in FC cricket, let alone Test cricket. I would be very dissapointed if either Hilfy or Noffke didn't in the team ahead of Johnson sometime this season. Mind the selectors are gutless and Johnson's position is safe for at least the 2 series.

Nope. The only reason he gets wickets in ODI's is because of left hand angle. You need to do more than that to get wickets in FC cricket, let alone Test cricket. I would be very dissapointed if either Hilfy or Noffke didn't in the team ahead of Johnson sometime this season. Mind the selectors are gutless and Johnson's position is safe for at least the 2 series.

Couldnt agree more :clap

It may be seen as gutless to resist dropping a player not getting results, but it's the same reason they stick with players such as Hayden in their low ebb. It achieves little to be capricious in selection. If selectors had dropped Hayden in 2005, it is unlikely he would have returned to the fold, but instead he has enjoyed the best cricket of his career. Likewise, there is little point in selecting a player and dropping them if they have a lame start. You would go through a stack of players until you find one who gets across the line, but even then you've only picked on luck, not class.

Users who are viewing this thread