Making bowling more enjoyable, seeing weather/pitch effects etc. - invitation to playtest

RE: Tailenders. Make sure their anticipation is set to minimum as have discovered that it is an important attribute in regards to batting in that it appears to be related to how the AI play the line of the ball. I had it set low for all batsman which was resulting in a lot of bowleds. While watching the replays it was showing that in every case the AI were moving away from the line of the ball and increasing it appears to prevent this from happening.

RE: Batsman type: Again this is only something you will really notice when the batting attributes ( onside, offside, straight and flat) are reduced. Going over the halfway mark seems to result in a lot of aerial shots no matter what type they are. I've started to change a lot of precise batsmen to conservative as the precise batsmen seem to go almost as aerial as the aggressive/brutal ones.

I played England v WI and had few issues with the tail. Basically I got them early for a couple of runs, or they stuck around for a bit making 15-20.

RE: Tailenders. Make sure their anticipation is set to minimum as have discovered that it is an important attribute in regards to batting in that it appears to be related to how the AI play the line of the ball. I had it set low for all batsman which was resulting in a lot of bowleds. While watching the replays it was showing that in every case the AI were moving away from the line of the ball and increasing it appears to prevent this from happening.

RE: Batsman type: Again this is only something you will really notice when the batting attributes ( onside, offside, straight and flat) are reduced. Going over the halfway mark seems to result in a lot of aerial shots no matter what type they are. I've started to change a lot of precise batsmen to conservative as the precise batsmen seem to go almost as aerial as the aggressive/brutal ones.

Thanks for the anticipation tip.. I will give it a test.

One thing though, I cannot set it to below half in the academy.. Is this normal and what you mean by minimum?

@cooks1st100 i am thinking of trying this game again for first time in ages

Can you bullet point your recommended settings for batsman/bowlers please if you have time ?

Thanks

Thanks but aren't those BD's stats?

Thanks but aren't those BD's stats?
I dont think they have different value set up, just they experiment with the ones BD posted..

a few of us have been doing some experiments with amended skills for batsmen and bowlers and getting some interesting results. a big hat tip to @@cooks1st100 who is the originator of the experiment, and also @@wealey88 and @@richowebbo who have been doing a lot of playtesting on this too. we think we're getting somewhere and so have decided to "go public" and see if by getting some more people playing similarly we can get more of a sample and move towards a better experience for us all.

@cooks1st100 i am thinking of trying this game again for first time in ages

Can you bullet point your recommended settings for batsman/bowlers please if you have time ?

Hey Zim yeah certainly. I can't really say these are recommended as still finding things out as I go along.

Front foot/backfoot: Between 6 and 14. These settings seem to affect how well the AI plays the length but also possibly how aggressive they are. Setting them too low seems to result in a few "dolly's" to mid-on/off.

The other batting attributes ( offside, onside, straight ,flat). Between 4 and 11. These appear to affect how cleanly they hit the respective shots( you will be able to hear it as well as see). Too high seems to result in more aerial shots while I haven't yet worked out what issues setting them too low causes (possibly edges).

Anticipation: Seems to affect how well the AI plays the line. Have not yet had time to find a balance maybe try 75%.

Bowling: Outswing between 1 and 8, inswing set between half an increment to 6. I'm sure the lowered swing helps with edges as it forces the AI to play straighter. I quite often get a wicket to a swinging ball that doesn't swing.

Drift. I set between zero and 5. This is a personal preference more than anything as I feel the ball drifts far too much.

For the other bowling attributes it's a case of balancing in regards to the batting setting. So if you have world class batsman set to 12 for the foot attributes then I will set world class bowlers at 14, just to make it more bowler friendly. If you are taking wickets too easily, decrease these slightly.

Other attributes to consider. Minimal run speed and acceleration, this is to reduce fielders making up a ridiculous amount of ground to take catches. Be aware of the effect anticipation has also.

Agility: I set this between 70 and 100 % as I think it adds to the game with some fantastic diving stops and catches.

Wicketkeepers; I pretty much set them all up as follows: Anticipation and arm speed high as I'm sure this helps with stumpings. Agility set 3/4 above minimum to stop them diving in front of the slips. Again this is personal preference.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head, I'm glad you are going to give this a try Zim as you did some fantastic work with BLC and EA and I'm sure you will pick up on a few things that I have missed. I'm sure Blockerdave will give you a few pointers too.

Tailenders/ bowling all-rounders: Bowling all-rounders I will give 2 increments for all batting attributes.

Tailenders I just give a fleck of an attribute in one of the feet attributes and in a couple of the other batting attributes.

Thanks a lot, and to BD and everyone else in this thread :thumbs Until BA say something my initial thought is to set my human team differently to the AI teams but too early to make any assumptions

Shame BA haven't made any comment really as could spend so much time and energy on this for nowt

Edit: Shame default fields cannot be edited also

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, and to BD and everyone else in this thread :thumbs Until BA say something my initial thought is to set my human team differently to the AI teams but too early to make any assumptions

Shame BA haven't made any comment really as could spend so much time and energy on this for nowt

Edit: Shame default fields cannot be edited also

I think it's pretty poor they haven't engaged with the thread even a little bit. At the end of the day all we're trying to do is get people enjoying their game.

Why would they? They made a reasonable game, I'm sure sold some copies and made their money.. They have a load of other projects that I'm sure are keeping them busy.. Why would they come back to a game that was released over a year ago and probably isn't selling much now? I have the same thoughts about people who are assuming this magic patch 3 will come along.. I'm skeptical it will ever see the light of day.

Why would they? They made a reasonable game, I'm sure sold some copies and made their money.. They have a load of other projects that I'm sure are keeping them busy.. Why would they come back to a game that was released over a year ago and probably isn't selling much now? I have the same thoughts about people who are assuming this magic patch 3 will come along.. I'm skeptical it will ever see the light of day.

Ross may be many things but he's definitely not a liar. He has committed to Patch 3 and I'm sure it will happen. It's just that they are busy with other projects, which is bound to happen as they need to pay bills as well.

Users who are viewing this thread