Making editors for cricket games

Jimmy5555516 said:
Also, is there any difference in working in SharpDeveloer and Visual basic express edition?? Is vb.net suitable as a front end tool with oracle9i as back-end.

Please someone help me. :help

I think so,there is a ODBC tool(most probably),which can be used to connect with Oracle.I will try to find out a bit more on the matter and get back on this.

&Colin-Im really sorry,but I can hardly find any time to visit PC,let alone making the tutorail.So Id be obliged if you could make it.Cheers.

Hi Prakash, Sid and Colin :cool:

As I'm free from AI patching for a while. I've decided to work in vb.net in my spare time(..although don't get much). I've worked in c,c++ and Java.so this shouldn't be difficult. I've gone through enough comparisons on whether visual studio is better to use for vb.net or SharpDevelop is better, and I have to say there isn't much difference apart from limitations of web development.So, I'll be using SharpDevelop 2.0 (most probably from tomorrow) as it has debugging feature.
I'm using #D 1.1 for the time being, and first thing I wanna ask is how to include classes with window application. :help
I hope you guys will help. :onpc

cricket doctor said:
Hi Prakash, Sid and Colin :cool:

As I'm free from AI patching for a while. I've decided to work in vb.net in my spare time(..although don't get much). I've worked in c,c++ and Java.so this shouldn't be difficult. I've gone through enough comparisons on whether visual studio is better to use for vb.net or SharpDevelop is better, and I have to say there isn't much difference apart from limitations of web development.So, I'll be using SharpDevelop 2.0 (most probably from tomorrow) as it has debugging feature.

Good to hear that,let me know what youre working on,otherwise you could use our ideas for editors that could be made.You could probably use Visual Studio as
it seems to be better in some aspects.Keep me updated on this,cheers.

sid_19840 said:
Good to hear that,let me know what youre working on,otherwise you could use our ideas for editors that could be made.You could probably use Visual Studio as
it seems to be better in some aspects.Keep me updated on this,cheers.

Thanks for replying Sid and Colin.

Well, I know VS is better in some aspects,but I've read the comments of several peoples who have used both, and they say you can do everything in #D what you can do in VS, apart from few things, and hence I reckon for a start #D is not bad, as it will take some time to go into more advance features of VB.net. Also, VS is very costly, but I'm trying to get it too, pretty soon.

Sid, have you done OOP in VB.net.?? :onpc

cricket doctor said:
Thanks for replying Sid and Colin.

Well, I know VS is better in some aspects,but I've read the comments of several peoples who have used both, and they say you can do everything in #D what you can do in VS, apart from few things, and hence I reckon for a start #D is not bad, as it will take some time to go into more advance features of VB.net. Also, VS is very costly, but I'm trying to get it too, pretty soon.

Sid, have you done OOP in VB.net.?? :onpc

No,all my editors so far havent used any OOP concepts.So I cant help you in that matter.But I think that OOP can be avoided for VB.Net,as our editors usually dont need the same code more than once,and we arent all that concerned about security.

Offtopic:Im learning Java and applets atm,and using JBuilder,so Im trying to implement OOP concepts in those.

barmyarmy said:
I will continue with another tutorial on actually opening and editing files if Sid doesn't have the time.
There are differences between visual basic 2005 express and sharp develop but I'm not sure exactly what. Use vb 2005 if you can as it is newer than sharp develop.
Can't really help you with the oracle9i as backend tool question as I don't know.

If anyone needs any help, I've been programming with vb.net for a couple of years. So Colin, I will help you with the next tutorial if you want.
From what I've heard SharpDevelop uses a language called C#, but I think there is a way to use it with vb.net.

Party Boy said:
i need a kit editor for cricket 2005
or
when you made it

[email protected] :help

Kit editing,I think only require you to have a basic template where you can fill colours of your choice to make the kits,so just the template should be good enough instead of making an editor.

embi said:
If anyone needs any help, I've been programming with vb.net for a couple of years. So Colin, I will help you with the next tutorial if you want.
From what I've heard SharpDevelop uses a language called C#, but I think there is a way to use it with vb.net.

I was making a program yesterday that I was going to do the tutorial on but it just got more and more complicated and the thought of trying to explain what I was doing just made my head hurt.
I've been trying to think of an editor we can make that is simple and I've not managed to come up with anything yet.
By all means feel free to write another tutorial though; I know everyone will appreciate it.

All right, so here are the outputs of Tutorial 1 and 2 -->>

Attachments

• Tut 1.JPG
    Tut 1.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Tut 2.JPG
    Tut 2.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 89
barmyarmy said:
I was making a program yesterday that I was going to do the tutorial on but it just got more and more complicated and the thought of trying to explain what I was doing just made my head hurt.
I've been trying to think of an editor we can make that is simple and I've not managed to come up with anything yet.
By all means feel free to write another tutorial though; I know everyone will appreciate it.

sure, I'll try and come up with something. It will probably be about manipulating files, since that is a key part of the editor.

Ok. In this tutorial we will be fiddling around with a text file. Opening and manipulating files is a key concept for editing. You will also learn a few more programming basics.

First of all, Colin mentioned a variable in his tutorial, but I just want to go in more detail.
A variable is a value that changes. You can fiddle around with your hearts content with a variable. For example (feel free to try this):

Code:
Dim strMsg as String = "Hello John!"
Message.Show(strMsg)

What does it all mean? The "dim" is used to tell Visual Basic that we are declaring a variable. the "msg" is the name you give to the variable. This has to contain letters (a-z), numbers or an underscore. For example these are all good variables:
Code:
myMsg
Button12345
UserAge2
Swing_amount

And these are both bad variables (compiler will give you a nasty sounding error if you try these:

Code:
folder/ (not allowed slash)
23marks (can't start with number)

The next part is the name of the variable ("strMsg"). It is generally better to have a descriptive name rather than something you don't understand (you won't have to keep on checking what it is). Colin mentioned Visual Basic coding conventions, the point of these is that you don't forget what type the variable (see next section). This helps you not do do things on text you're supposed to do on numbers. So "strMsg" tells us instantly that the variable
is of type String, and it stores a message.

Right the type ("... as String"). You don't have to have a type, but it is a good thing. There are thousands of different types , but I'll jsut mention a few common ones.

A String is a piece of text. That simple. You can tell Visual Basic a value is a string by putting speech marks round it like:
Code:
"This is a string"

An Integer is a whole number, like 2 or -37 (can be minus, just no decimal places like 0.2 or 3.4). Integer values can store anything from -2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647.

And finally, you can assign a value to the variable ("= "Hello John"). You can do this on the same line as the rest of the declaration, or you can do it on a different line using:
Code:
strMsg="Value"

More from me later, I have to go. Digest that.

Users who are viewing this thread