Match,Tour & Competition Experiences

Just finished the 3rd and final test as South Africa vs Australia on Veteran at the SCG. And what a test it was. On a wicket that would definitely suit the spinners on day 5, I won the toss and chose to bat. There wasn't much movement for the seamers, but the spinner made things difficult. A brilliant hundred by AB and a great partnership between du Plessis and Elgar propelled me to a very competitive score of 407.

Australia started very well and my bowlers struggled. Rogers and Warner threatened to take the game away from me, but when Steyn bowled Warner with a brilliant inswinger, I started to claw my way back and took big wickets at crucial times. The tail wagged in the end, frustrating me to death, but at last I bowled them out for 354. Rogers top-scoring with a brilliant 120. I had a handy lead of 53.

I came out to bat and started well. A solid opening stand between Elgar and Peterson of 42, before Elgar nicked one from Lyon. Du Plessis joined Peterson at the wicket, and a brilliant partnership of 191 put me in control of the match, or so I thought. Peterson threw his wicket away after a brilliant knock of 111 and chipped a regular Lyon delivery straight to mid-on. Du Plessis fell agonisingly short of his 100 in the most unlucky of ways. Getting bowled by a bouncer, that ricocheted of the helmet onto the stumps. What followed was a mini collapse. I got bundled out for 316, trying to force a higher run-rate. Leaving Australia a target of 370 at around tea on day 4.

A brilliant spell by Philander early on, and Australia was 2 down in no time. Then Imran Tahir came on, and as I predicted, the pitch was starting to wear out. 3 wickets to Tahir and Australia were in tatters at the close of day 4, being 113/5, still needing a lot of runs.

Day 5 started and Australia made a solid start, but lost their 6th wicket on 158. They survived till lunch, but then lost two quick wickets in succession and suddenly they were 193/8. I thought the game was wrapped up. Then the tail started to wag. A brilliant partnership between Harris and Siddle made me very nervous. Finally just before tea Tahir struck, when Harris chipped a ball straight to mid-on! I screamed! Breaking an 80 run stand, and Australia were 277/8. Tahir had 5 wickets. After tea Lyon and Siddle stood firm. I was getting really nervous. They were getting closer to the target and my fast bowlers were fatigued. Time was also starting to run out, as 5pm passed. I had Tahir, and part-timer du Plessis on, trying desperately to get the final wicket, when at last du Plessis bowled to Siddle, just on legstump. Siddle played it on the legside, it was in the air, when Alviro Peterson took a blinder of a catch! Australia was all out for 332 at 5:19 PM, falling 37 runs short. I screamed again, more out of relieve than anything else.

I won the test match, and drawn the series 1-1. Thanks Big Ant for making this experience possible. You really created a special product!
That is just brilliant......:D :thumbs :clap

@koeloe Ha, your test match looked a lot more interesting than mine! :p

I made a world test championship and with the new console patch i batted the whole of the first day of a test match on pro! always got bowled out just after lunch usually. also i scored my first double century in a game today aswell.

Playing on PRO difficulty for the first time in a while. Kent v Surrey in a 50 over match, currently 72/5 after 25 overs :facepalm

I'm of the opinion that only losing 5 wickets in 25 overs is not bad if you hadn't played Pro in quite a while.

I suppose so, I mean I have just come off the back of playing a full test match so I guess it'll take some time to adjust.

Played out a fun 50 over match last night between Australia 1990's and All Time Best West Indies on a warm, sunny arvo at the SCG. Playing as the West Indies I had a slow start to be 3/60 after 15 overs. McGrath proving so hard to get away. Lara and Hooper combined magnificently to put on 130 runs. Lara maintained a supreme level of patience and batting smarts to go on a and make a superb 103 runs off 124 balls. Late hitting by Sobers in the late overs took the score to 8/250 at the close of the innings.

Australia came out with cruel intent, making a mockery of the West Indian bowling attack which included greats like Ambrose, Marshall and Holding. Mark Waugh played a sublime anchor role while Gilchrist unleashed all over the ground. It wasn't until the 30th over mark that the partnership dismissing Waugh for a well made 68 as day turned into a barmy night. Gilchrist went on to record a phenomenal ton. By the time he fall for 124 off 143 balls, it was all too late. Ponting and Steve Waugh finished off the Windies in the 44th over.

It was so great to finally play a match that panned out realistically in terms of scores and run rates. Probably the best, most realistic full match of cricket Ive ever played on any cricket game made. Ever. Big call I know. Ive been so used to games falling apart in the past, I was expecting imminent collapses and even the AI to just be content at making 3 runs per over and fall short of the total with 10 wickets in hand. But they kept up the run rate, and even increased it during the latter part of the innings. This is something that I've never seen before. It was awesome. I would have liked to have picked up more wickets for sure, but there were a few edges that fall short or went to vacant slips cordons.

Game made me realise how much I dearly miss the days of world series cricket, those long, hot, barmy evenings in summer watching the likes of Bevan and the Waugh twins. The state of one day cricket today is so tragic and has lost its appeal thanks to the abomination that is T20. So sad. Anyway, moving on...

Question I have, what are people's general experiences with AI run rates and FOW for all three formats post patch now? They use to follow a familiar format of being hard to dismiss at the top of the order previously and making plenty of runs, then collapsing, then the tail putting up a rear guard. But have things changed?

Last edited:
Another realistic experience last night, replicating the recent Aus v SA ODI clashes in Zimbabwe. Played as Australia at the Wellington Stadium. Although Johnson removed Amla very early from a screaming catch by Lyon at gully, both Johnson and Starc proved expensive in the initial overs. De Kock and Du Plessis put on a hundred run partnership until Mitch Marsh made the breakthrough with a good spell of tight bowling to remove De Kock. Lyon tightened the screws at one end a bowled out his 10 overs for only 29 runs, picking up Du Plessis with a well taken catch behind by Haddin - out for 68. Injections of pace during the innings proved fruitless as the quicks got smashed all over the ground. Middle order wickets threatened to stifle the chase, but late big hitting by McLaren saw SA reach a solid total of 6/260.

Australia to bat.

Don't know if it was the pitch (I hope it was), but the AI smashed the quicks, but found it harder to get away the slower bowlers. The pitch was very quick - Johnson and Starc's deliveries were cannoning into Haddin's gloves in the early overs, and he was standing miles back.

No edges this innings.

While I definitely think edges need to be increased when bowling to the AI to justify using slip fielders, it needs to be balanced by reducing the probability of picking up wickets by other means - eg: dollies into the outfield. @fiction

Currently replaying the last ashes tour down under as England. Had a thrilling defeat to Australia A in a 4 day game which went right down to the last afternoon.

1st innings: England won the toss and were bundled out for 240 in just under 70 overs. Prior with a fluent 72 and a dogged 64 from Cook were the only players to shine in a nervy batting display. Henriques took a 5 wicket bag.

Australia A dragged their heels in making 262, batting into the morning of day 3, Maxwell making 78 (180). Ben Stokes lead the attack with 4-49.

2nd innings: England folded to the spin of Jon Holland (5-29) and were bowled out of 187. Late hitting from Woakes (28 off 26) and top scorer Anderson (34 off 39) gave us something to bowl at.

Set 165 to win, Australia A folded to the excellent Jimmy Anderson to 140-8 before Tim Paine (41*) and MOM Holland got them over the line. Grea fun!!

Just about to start an All Time Sri Lanka tour of All Time New Zealand. Starting on Amateur difficulty.

3 day tour match vs Auckland
3 day tour match vs New Zealand 'A'
5 match test series vs A.T. New Zealand (No reviews, long boundary ropes)

ODI tour match vs Central Districts & Northern Districts (1990's ODI rules - first 15 overs fielding restrictions, no powerplays or reviews etc)

ODI tri series vs A.T. New Zealand & A.T. Pakistan (1990's ODI rules)

T20 vs Otago

3 match T20 series A.T. New Zealand.

A dreadful start for Sri Lanka on the opening day of their opening tour match of New Zealand. The only batsman who offered any sort of resistance was Roshan Mahanama.

4/119 at lunch turned in to all out 160 in 16.1 over later. IMG_2892.JPG

I've never been a fan of bowling in cricket games. I find chasing down your own scores to be very enjoyable.

How unusual. I think I find bowling just as, if not more enjoyable in DBC 14 than batting. Setting fields, selecting bowlers, bowling to plans. Finally the game is at a point where the AI batting is competitive to actually have genuinely good experience playing them - one day matches and tests anyway. AI batting is still very weak in T20's.

I feel the field settings by the AI when batting have a tendency to spoil the party. You're in a tight run chase, suddenly the AI puts in 5 slips and no one at mid-on and mid-off and bang game is over and you're left with an empty feeling that it was all too easy.

Users who are viewing this thread