Michael Clarke not good enough for ODIs

Should Michael Clarke be dropped from the ODI side?

• Yes

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Can't say

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

formula1man

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I have been saying Michael Clarke is not good enough for ODIs but no one believes me. They say he is slow to rebuild an innings or to consolidate, well Ponting and Hussey also do that, they are more consistent and quicker.

I have Clarke's stats since June 2007 So since the world cup. He has batted poorly and slowly. The only people slower then him is a struggling Brad Hodge and a bunch of Bowlers. His Average is also poor. He was the reason we lost yesterday. He had no pressure, but still batted slowly. Dont use his injury as an excuse as im sure it hasnt been bothering him since the World Cup.
Dont use career stats as an excuse to keep him either, coz its whats happening now thats important. if it was based on career stats, then there would have been no pressure on Matthew Hayden with a great AVG.

clarke.jpg

clarkenotgood.jpg

Its good that he is now out of the team, coz it means we can now get some excitement, and some Big Scores, I wouldnt be surprised if we never saw him in ODIs again.

Plus we need to get rid Of Cameron White. and our stupid Dark Green Kit.

formula1man added 3 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Might i add, even Ronchi, White and Watson have better averages then Clarke

Last edited:
Only problem is. His our vice-captain. Ponting needs him out on the park as much as possible with his leadership and to urge players on.

As I said in the other thread take a look at the scorecard of some of the bigger knocks (30+) he made where his SR was below 70. Show me how many other batters scored at a better rate making more runs than he did. And of those how many did we lose?

Aye. Clarke is too slow for ODIs.

And his average is in the low thirties during the period in review, which means he gets out after getting settled, and wastes a lot of deliveries and just when he should accelerate, gets out.

It will be sheer stupidity to retain him just because he is Vice captain.

exactly. On Average over the past 2 years he wastes alot of time getting set then gets out. sure he makes a few quick big scores, but on Average he sucks.
Statistically he is our worst batsmen,

formula1man added 22 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

Plus if Warner fires there will be no room for him
1. Marsh
2. Warner
3. Ponting
4. D. Hussey
5. Symonds
6. M. Hussey
7. Haddin
8. Hopes/Watson/White/Hauritz/Bracken/Hilfenhaus
9. Johnson
10. Lee
11. Tait

Could happen I guess, David Hussey will need to continue to make runs and Warner would have to have a ripper to be any hope. Watson is still the selectors first choice at the opening gig. But do you really think our selectors would drop our vice captain who is averaging over 40 in ODI still?

The longer he's out or under performing, and the others do well then yes
I think we need a batsmen opener, not Keeper or All Rounder

+1 formula1man

Clarke is not the player he used to be, hes trying to reinvent the #4 position to leave his mark on the australian team it seems. #4 batsman in ODIs are free flowing quick scoring players, originally when clarke came into the side he batted like Martyn and this fit the team perfectly, now he'll struggle to get to 20 and then take another 40 balls to get 10 more runs.. and then when the REQ RR gets out of hand he'll play a stupid shot and get out - seems to happen every innings.

Drop Clarke bring in North/Klinger/Warner/Voges/Hodge

I would point out that on that list Clarke is 2nd only to Symonds in runs scored. He is a good batsman and his career strike rate is 79. Now that he is out for the series you guys get your wish to see the ODI team without him.

yep i agree but there is no way the selectors will drop him.
He is vice captain an they even select him when hes not fully fit like this MCG game.
Warner goes great at the MCG an is in fine form yet they still chose Clarke over him.

I hate it when aus get off to a flying start an then around the 25 over plus mark Clarke comes in and the whole innings starts to slow instead of going at the same rate or increasing.
we go from looking at scoring close to 300 or over to just getting an avg score of 250 or so.

Even when he scores big he still goes at less than a run a ball.
Where as most who score 50+ will end up being close to a run a ball after slowish starts.

Plenty of other talent running around in domestic cricket who can score consistantly an quicker.

haha, if we drop Clarke then enjoy making scores of 320 one game then 140 the next.

Im not saying we need a big hitter. Just someone who bats quicker and gets a good score consistently. He has averaged only 31 since the world cup. even White betters that. We need someone to go at a SR of 80. not 67. You say we need a rock, well with an average of 31 lately he isnt much of a rock, just a waste of time.

We need 2 proper openers, I agree Warner wont last long. but we need a Matthew Hayden, he was exciting and fast and scored decent scores. Then in the middle we have Ponting and mike to be a rock, with symonds and Haddin to exlplode, with Dave able to do either to keep the runs flowing. 300 should be our minimum score.

Clarke just wastes balls. He has faced the most deliveries by a long way out of the aussie batsmen since the WC

I agree with you. Michael Clarke isn't good for ODI's and T20's.

He does bat quick when he gets going;
77* (86) S/R 89
79 (108) S/R 73
50 (69) S/R 72
31 (38) S/R 81

etc. It's only recently his form has dropped and he's struggled for runs in One Dayers.

Since the World Cup we have had 6 ODI series where clarke has average 38, 39 and 29 in 3 of those.

There have been so many times when Clarke has saved us with a good 60 or 70 not out with a strike rate of 80 or so before the World Cup. It would be fair to drop him just a year and a half after those efforts.

Users who are viewing this thread