Michael Clarke not good enough for ODIs

Should Michael Clarke be dropped from the ODI side?

• Yes

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Can't say

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Michael Clarke : Liability in the ODIs??

Future captain, Solid middle order batsman, handy left arm spinner. Looks pretty good to have such a player any day in your team. And of course, he has shown his utility for Australia in test matches over the last few years, and is a definite pick.

However, when it comes to ODIs, a completely different picture is what he has painted over the last few seasons with the bat. He's been so dire that one suspects if he were not the captain-in-waiting, would he have been picked for so many ODIs. Since 2008, ie, about 16 months, his form has been as under :

35jwjuw.png

An average of less than 30 might not really put off people in ODIs, considering a certain Virender Sehwag and Shahid Afridi etc have played 200+ ODIs with a similar average. However what really goes against his capabilities as an ODI player his pathetic SR of 65. He looks completely out of sync with the requirements of ODIs, prodding and wasting away balls to get settled, and once seemingly settled after consuming precious deliveries, seem to get out with rank bad shots.

No wonder then he has just 6 fifties and not a single century to show for him in ODIs in the last 16 months, and he has come a cropper against the best ODI teams in the world now, Ind and SA, averaging just 28 and 13 respectively. His highest contribution in a matchwinning cause during this period has been just 78.

So, is it time he is given the boot, and Australia give a damn to the policy of preferring captaincy potential over actual performances? I guess a Dave Warner should comfortably add more utility to the side than Clarke.

We already have a thread on this, started this year. I had a look the other day to gather statistics for a post on another forum.

no if he was left in the middle order to develop himself like Ponting he could become a really good ODI batsman. He is not a opener an should be one.

He played better earlier in his career batting at 6.

Stats will back me up, he averages 48.94 striking at 90.46 batting 6, and at 5 he averages 59.40 but strikes at 74.25.

Time for a drop down the order, me thinks.

Well then who could open? Is it time for Hughes to enter the ODI arena?

He is a decent batsman (not a gun) , brilliant fielder and a handy part time spinner. He adds some leadership and important experience to the team as well. So I reckon he should still get a game.

Hes not an opener, put him back in to the middle order where he has played his best cricket and he will be fine.

Pup is turning in to a top quality test player though:D

If you ask me i don't see much people in the finest middle order batsmen club in which Michael Clarke is in the leader.

Stats dont tell you how good a batsman is. Clarke and marsh are the only two aussie player whom i admire. Clarke is the best player of spin in aussie team. He is just going through a lean patch similar to the ?ne yuvi had in 2001. I guess he is just rested for a few games and would come back all guns blazing just like yuvi.

P.S: even though i enjoy watching him bat, a strike rate of below 80 is not acceptable in this era. It doesnt do justice to the amount of talent he has

Clarke not good enough for ODI's my ass. lmfao.

He played better earlier in his career batting at 6.

Stats will back me up, he averages 48.94 striking at 90.46 batting 6, and at 5 he averages 59.40 but strikes at 74.25.

Time for a drop down the order, me thinks.

I don't care what stats say, Clarke batting at 6 would be insanely stupid.

Still not good enough for ODIs? Top scored in the latest match easily and took 3 wickets.
It's also repeating that previous observation that when he gets going the pitch usually doesn't favour attacking batting. That's probably not all that surprising because in the last year, probably half of all the pitches Australia has played on have been either painfully slow or uneven.

a balanced team needs power players like symonds,classy players like punter,workers like clarke and also people who can do anything and everything like mike hussey.clarke's style suits the middle order batting and is a key man in ODIs too for australia.

Clarke not good enough for ODI's my ass. lmfao.

I don't care what stats say, Clarke batting at 6 would be insanely stupid.

You obviously don't know what you're on about. During the glory days Clarke always batted 6:

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
6. Clarke

And was consistent and scored quickly which is also supported by Jakster's stats.

Users who are viewing this thread