Michael Clarke not good enough for ODIs

Should Michael Clarke be dropped from the ODI side?

• Yes

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Can't say

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
He does bat quick when he gets going;
77* (86) S/R 89
79 (108) S/R 73
50 (69) S/R 72
31 (38) S/R 81

etc. It's only recently his form has dropped and he's struggled for runs in One Dayers.

Since the World Cup we have had 6 ODI series where clarke has average 38, 39 and 29 in 3 of those.

There have been so many times when Clarke has saved us with a good 60 or 70 not out with a strike rate of 80 or so before the World Cup. It would be fair to drop him just a year and a half after those efforts.

yeah but thats 3 high quick scores in 24. We would of won if Clarke wasnt there last night

There was more around the strike rate of 60-70. That means he is hitting 60-70 runs every 16 overs (100 balls) or so and you have someone like White at the other end hitting 100 runs ever 16 overs then that's 170 runs every 16 overs.

So what I'm saying is we don't need players who can score at a strike rate of 100 all the way through from 1 to 11. That means if Whit egot out (using my example) Clarke could still stay in and then start to push on but if both are going hard one good spell of bowling could remove both of them and leave us in trouble.

but Clarke wont get to 60 or 70 regularly,hence he is wasting our time.
Ill again say i dont want people with a SR of 100. I want some one with a strike rate better then 67.
Have you even looked at the stats i posted?

80 is good 67 is poor, an average of 31 is poor 40 is good. poor + poor = very poor

No. After the World Cup he averaged 38 and 39 in consecutive series. Then 29 and 27.

So he's been making scores of around 30 at a strike rate of around 60 so thats about 30 runs every 8 overs. Thats just under 4 runs an over. Batting with someone with a strike rate of 80 they would be scoring around 40 runs every 8 overs, thats a formidable total.

No. After the World Cup he averaged 38 and 39 in consecutive series. Then 29 and 27.

So he's been making scores of around 30 at a strike rate of around 60 so thats about 30 runs every 8 overs. Thats just under 4 runs an over. Batting with someone with a strike rate of 80 they would be scoring around 40 runs every 8 overs, thats a formidable total.
Problem is Clarke plays most with Hussey.

And in the last year while Hussey averaged 56, it was at a SR of 74.

So a SR of 66 and 74 by two middle order players would mean a lot of damage to the scoring rate of Australia in the middle and end overs.

But if you had Ronchi who is averaging 38 at 200. then its even better isnt it?
the total could be better without Clarke, but we shall see now he is out of the team.

Ronchi has only played a few games. His Domestic statistics arent strong enough to gurantee him a spot. He seems to either get a duck or a quickfire 100.

Cant agree with this tbh.

Is a required ODI player.

Problem is Clarke plays most with Hussey.

And in the last year while Hussey averaged 56, it was at a SR of 74.

So a SR of 66 and 74 by two middle order players would mean a lot of damage to the scoring rate of Australia in the middle and end overs.

Don't know why we have suddenly become obsessed with high strike rate players in the middle order. We have Symonds and Brad Haddin to provide the hitting in the middle order and if David Hussey is still in the side him too. 2 is more than enough hitting to go with Ponting and a dasher at opener. Not to mention Mike Hussey is a very quick scorer when he wants to.

And the reason why Hussey has a strike rate of 74 in this period is because the top order has failed so he has had play conservative, not try and get a run a ball when the score is 4/50.

Clarke form might not be great in the ODI arena lately but it will be a lot more than two poor series to see him dropped. He performed in the CBS last season which clears his earlier two series failures. Didn't have a great series in WI but still managed to win one match for Aus, and the Bangladesh series he was batting 3 a whole different spot for him so I wouldn't read much into that series.

Don't know why we have suddenly become obsessed with high strike rate players in the middle order. We have Symonds and Brad Haddin to provide the hitting in the middle order and if David Hussey is still in the side him too. 2 is more than enough hitting to go with Ponting and a dasher at opener. Not to mention Mike Hussey is a very quick scorer when he wants to.

And the reason why Hussey has a strike rate of 74 in this period is because the top order has failed so he has had play conservative, not try and get a run a ball when the score is 4/50.

Clarke form might not be great in the ODI arena lately but it will be a lot more than two poor series to see him dropped. He performed in the CBS last season which clears his earlier two series failures. Didn't have a great series in WI but still managed to win one match for Aus, and the Bangladesh series he was batting 3 a whole different spot for him so I wouldn't read much into that series.

but why waste a good start, get some one who can play just as quick and well as M Hussey.

Plus I think that those games that Clarke "won" for us, it was more the bowlers who won the game for us, or the other team's batsmen, as i look at the scorecards.

but why waste a good start, get some one who can play just as quick and well as M Hussey.

Plus I think that those games that Clarke "won" for us, it was more the bowlers who won the game for us, or the other team's batsmen, as i look at the scorecards.

You just hate Clarke to much to be fair. Bowlers win games they say, but you can't win a game without a batsmen standing up and making a score.

And it's not wasting a good start. What would be a waste is if Clarke and Hussey come in and try to hit big and get out (Like Clarke did yesterday) and the opposition get the momentum.

We'll just agree to disagree now, i dont want to get into a fight.
I hope i haven't offended anyone coz i didnt intend to. i mean nothing bad to Michael Clarke. Its just that i was very upset with Hayden's forced retirment and just wanted to point out Clarke's ODi form isnt great either.

I dont hate Michael Clarke at all, i just dont enjoy watching him play, as he isnt very exciting. But he is an important part of our team, even though the stats dont say so, he is still important.
SO i say sorry if i said anything that made anyone upset as i wasnt intending to, i hope i havent upset anyone. SORRY

Hayden got given time to get out of his form slumps in both Test and ODI cricket when he was younger. But hes 37, once you hit the form slump your career is all but over. If Clarke was in this form at 37 then fair enough he should be sacked but he is 10 years younger than Hayden so being consistent Clarke should also be given time to get out of his slump.

Users who are viewing this thread