Microsoft Office 2010 beta

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Microsoft recently released Office 2010 beta http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx

I just installed it and gave it a run. So far can't see anything different compared to 2007 apart from a file button instead of the office logo in 2007. In the file menu there are a few new features including an info tab that displays the word count, editing time and other details of your file. Will give it a proper run when I need to actually use it.

so they removed that logo on the top corner!?? why??! thats the one of the things i liked about 07!! i bet some dumb Mexican guy couldnt find his way to "files" and complained!

Don't know if it will stay like this but here is what it looks like now. Also they have had a screen capture thing which I have shown in the screenshot. There are. They have this send a smile/frown thing for feedback so if enough people complain, I guess they will return to the old setup.

Attachments

• word2010_2.png
    word2010_2.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 44
  • word2010.png
    word2010.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 32
looks like the sun doesnt come out over there..plain white and boring!

i am just commenting on the looks, b/c i dont know anything about its ability, features and crap. but Syl said they are pretty similer, so by the look of things 07>10

Great another version of office, just what we needed, because back in the 80's word processors and spreadsheets weren't sorted!

No doubt somewhere along the line some files won't be compatible with older versions.

No doubt somewhere along the line some files won't be compatible with older versions.
Office 2007 introduced the new XML format (the .*x files). I don't think that's changed. Also, you're bringing up forwards-compatibility, not backwards-compatibility. Office 2007 and I presume 2010 will be able to open all files from previous versions. However, Office 2003 and below will not be able to open XML-based files... and why and how should they? When you buy a top-of-the-line graphics processor half a decade back, you shouldn't expect it to perform at peak settings with today's highest quality games. If Microsoft forced themselves into forwards-compatibility, they would lose many of the features and optimizations they have introduced with the last release of Office.

That said, Office 2007 did and I am sure 2010 will as well, have the ability to save for previous version. So if people want to share files with previous versions, they will be able to. Finally, Microsoft also offered a free compatibility pack that allowed users with an older version of Office to view the new XML-based files.

Office 2010 uses the same format as 2007, they just removed the file extension and called it "Word document" or something like that.

The Ribbon is now customisable, in 07 you couldnt change it too much if at all.
Also 2010 will use the Office Live service (Im not sure if 07 does tbh I havent tried it).

Just rediscovering power of Open Office 3.1
Office 2003 is still best office suite I have used. This new 2010 is not different from 2007 in character.

Users who are viewing this thread