Misbah Replaces Afridi as Pakistans ODI Captain

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
i was talking about afridi as captain being defensive not as a player. u just need to take a look at his field placings. this was the perfect opportunity for PCB to give teh captaincy to someone like Hafeez who can help build for the future. and yes, I thik Afridi pulling out of Ireland is retaliation.

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Lol Hafeez as a captain sounds weird. Hes barely holding his place after one good year. Need atleast another solid year before he should even be in the reckoning.

Its disappointing because after the World Cup it should have been Salman Butt's time to lead. He would have been the obvious choice :facepalm

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Hmmmm Hafeez for the Captain???? Strange..... But I wont be surprized If it would be a decision from PCB because the board does such sort of blunders. You never know, Shoaib Malik or Kamran Akmal might return to ODI side as Captain If we lose to ireland.... LOL

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Don't have words and time to say something to Ijaz butt and the most defensive coach in history Waqar younas. You guyz failed literally. :facepalm

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Waqar is not defensive. Afridi and Misbah are the ones to blame for our defensive tactics IMHO. Misbah had long on on the boundary for Roach and Rampaul. Our batting also epitomizes this disease of over-defense that is so very unnatural for Pak Cricket.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Shahid Afridi was certainly not defensive my friend It has always been a defensive influence on him towards the coach I believe which even happened at the World Cup. There are numerous examples of this, to quote one, In the Semi-Final against India in the recent World Cup. Shahid Afridi wanted to Open the Innings or He wanted to come top the order. He consulted this with Waqar and Waqar didn't want to take that bold chance so eventually that idea was scrapped.

Throughout the World Cup, The strategy was defensive and Afridi said in Interview numerous times that I don't make decisions alone.

I remember the days of Waqar Younas as Captain he was very defensive. Used to do bowl first against Australia with the fear that If we bat first we might fall out to below 100 runs to let us out them first.

I agree with you totally on the part of Misbah. He is defensive freak.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
I have called Afridi defensive due to peculiar field settings he has been setting before, during and after the WC. I have never seen him trying to go for the jugular when the opposition is going down. Its my experience of having watched him captian, that makes me thing he is way too defensive. Even if Waqar tries to influence his decision making, it is Afridi who has to take the lead on the field.

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
With a team like Pakistan, I think its fair to say you need to be a bit defensive, considering how prone we are to collapses and losing concentration. Attack can help in occasions but too much of it can cause your own downfall.

There is no doubt that Afridi is more aggressive than Misbah. Its such a puzzling move, that you just dont know what to say. Its just that Ijaz Butt has done it again.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
If Misbah was 32 or something the decision would have made some sense (not that it would be right even then) but making a player captain when he is 37 is a logic that only the brain (if it exists) of Mr Ijazz Butt can understand.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
I have called Afridi defensive due to peculiar field settings he has been setting before, during and after the WC. I have never seen him trying to go for the jugular when the opposition is going down. Its my experience of having watched him captian, that makes me thing he is way too defensive. Even if Waqar tries to influence his decision making, it is Afridi who has to take the lead on the field.

I agree in most aspects of this post but you won't deny it that Afridi defensiveness is much lower than the defensiveness of Misbah, Yousuf, Younas and Inzamam-ul-Haq the previous four major captains.

ksduded

Club Cricketer
I don't think Afridi was defensive at all. You also have to look at Pakistan's batting. We didn't use to have any proper batsman, just bits and pieces players, so he had to keep the batting deep. Specially as our bowling is already our strength. We won each world cup match because of our bowling, who were able to restrict the other teams to under par scores. And we only lost because our batsman could not even catch (NZ and India matches).

So having deep batting was important, specially because we had very aggressive players in our openers (Hafeez, Shehzad and Kamran Akmal) then Afridi, Umar Akmal and Razzaq lower down. And all of them apart from Misbah and Asad Shafiq are naturally aggressive players. And usually with agressive players is that they will fail often, but when they go on they will win it on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread