More proof of why Ricky Ponting is easily the greatest batsman of the modern era.

Normally (if umpiring decisions were correct) I say India would've won. The terrible umpiring made the match to be a draw. Clarke won the match.

That's the way I see it.

I think Clarke is more of a match winner in the field than he is with the bat.

Nah would have been a draw.

Since when has the pressure on Sachin eased after conquering a milestone? He is consistently and unremittingly expected to exceed all benchmarks time and time again. One ordinary series and there are 'experts' saying he should hang up his boots. Doesn't matter what the rest of us say, he is one of the greatest to have ever played the game. Like a TOI headline once said "Batman Forever". The main thing is Sachin has been playing under pressure and expectations for many years,Ricky is a good player no doubt,he has evolved in past few year,Tendulkar has been performing for years,serving his country.

nikhil_99 added 2 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

Indians refuse to give Tendulkar the luxury of failure.

I recently read an article in newspaper it goes like this

I dont know why (the person who wrote the article said) Sachin is so great,could be because

1: Lara says to his son,that he must bat like Sachin.

2:Warne (the best spinner of all time)recently penned down top 100 players,and on top of the list it was Sachin.

3:Sir Don Bradman in his dream team,there was no Ponting,Lara,no Viv Richards,Gavaskar, but Sachin.

4:Sachin is not Aus,still he got or gets standing ovation everywhere in world,last time when he visited in 2007 he got everytime huge support and stading ovation from crowd.

(I know personally that Sir Don's list when he created Ponting was not scoring as much he scored in last 3-4 years,but why not Lara,Viv Richards in his list?)

Warne only likes Tendulkar the best is because Tendulkar destroyed him in India 1998 and Warney had a sook and wanted to quit the game.

sachin is not my fav player but want to say that, every individual in this forum hasn't seen every cricketer or every match. .so as the posters in this thread. but stats have seen it all or most of it or more than us. They say the truth and have to be believed. stats never lie but its interpretation might be wrong (one should know this :D)

ricky or sachin. .stats will reveal that.

Viv Richards said recently (when Sachin broke Lara's record on Friday),Sachin is the person who deserves the record the most.

Lara says Ponting will break Sachin's test record,as he has another 30-35 test to play and also he is 2 years younger than Sachin,quite true.But according to me ODI record cant be broken.Sachin is way ahead in no.of centuries and also in runs...

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently read an article in newspaper it goes like this

I dont know why (the person who wrote the article said) Sachin is so great,could be because

1: Lara says to his son,that he must bat like Sachin.

2:Warne (the best spinner of all time)recently penned down top 100 players,and on top of the list it was Sachin.

3:Sir Don Bradman in his dream team,there was no Ponting,Lara,no Viv Richards,Gavaskar, but Sachin.

4:Sachin is not Aus,still he got or gets standing ovation everywhere in world,last time when he visited in 2007 he got everytime huge support and stading ovation from crowd.

(I know personally that Sir Don's list when he created Ponting was not scoring as much he scored in last 3-4 years,but why not Lara,Viv Richards in his list?)
Well if the issue is Ponting v Tendulkar, then Bradman's list isn't really relevant because as you said, Bradman did his list pre-2000s, and it didn't include Warne or Murali as spinner.

And one thing I have to say, no disrespect to anyone, but being a great batsman doesn't mean that your opinion on others is more valid than others'. Whilst it certainly teaches them a lot about the game, I still don't believe that just because Bradman says that Tendulkar is the best besides him, that that makes Tendulkar the best of the modern era. I think that lots of factors have to be taken into account, and certainly looking at the stats and consistency, Ponting is ahead.

To clear all air Bradman famously said that Tendulkar came most close to guy who bats similar to him (in style). And we all know Ponting and Tendulkar dont bat in similar way.

Ponting has his own Style and Tendulkar has his own so let's not comare styles everyone's got different ones.

Having a good style doesn't always reap great rewards though, there are plenty of FC cricketers with great styles but lacking in other areas, such as mentality.

Tendulkar always played in pressure,comapred to Lara or Ponting thats a fact,people expect more from him,even Warne recently told,i salute Tendulkar,even at this age with so many people expecting him to play in every inngs,and performing well for so may years and for playing around 19 years of International Cricket is something great.Ponting and Lara dont play under such expectations and pressure from people at home (though people love to watch Lara and Ponting,every bowler in world when he plays against Sachin makes remarks of targetting him on feild)

The Sachin Tendulkar 'pressure' arguement is the most overrated myth in cricket history.

You can't measure pressure on a scale and say one person is under more pressure then another in a different situation. At the end of the day you both are under pressure, there is no different feeling.

The Sachin Tendulkar 'pressure' arguement is the most overrated myth in cricket history.

You can't measure pressure on a scale and say one person is under more pressure then another in a different situation. At the end of the day you both are under pressure, there is no different feeling.
You can measure pressure. You need a barometer.

Jokes aside, you don't have a post. Whoops, that's not what I meant. What I did mean was that pressure can definitely be measured. Would you feel under more pressure facing Muttiah Muralitharan or Jason Krejza? I think everyone in this forum would have a unanimous answer for that.

You made that barometre joke to me last year. Get some new material!

Tendulkar does play under immense pressure but can you say the pressure over the last 5 years is the same as when he was 25? Plus, how can you measure how this pressure alters his performance levels? Does pressure make him play better or worse? You'll never know.

Users who are viewing this thread