More proof of why Ricky Ponting is easily the greatest batsman of the modern era.

I say Jason Kejza. Because you's be under pressure to not let him bowl a maiden over to you, Whereas with Murali -- Who cares if you get out because he gets loads of people out anyway.

You made that barometre joke to me last year. Get some new material!
Hey, I'm not a professional. :D

Tendulkar does play under immense pressure but can you say the pressure over the last 5 years is the same as when he was 25? Plus, how can you measure how this pressure alters his performance levels? Does pressure make him play better or worse? You'll never know.
Nope, but you can hypothesize. I'm only pointing out that "pressure is not a valid argument" is not a valid argument. Of course, all the details about what is high-pressure, etc. is up to the arguer to come up with evidence for. I'm only pointing out that a valid argument can be made using pressure, since there is an easily identifiable difference in pressure levels.

You can measure pressure. You need a barometer.

Jokes aside, you don't have a post. Whoops, that's not what I meant. What I did mean was that pressure can definitely be measured. Would you feel under more pressure facing Muttiah Muralitharan or Jason Krejza? I think everyone in this forum would have a unanimous answer for that.
You wouldn't be under pressure pressure Krezja though.

You can measure pressure. You need a barometer.

Jokes aside, you don't have a post. Whoops, that's not what I meant. What I did mean was that pressure can definitely be measured. Would you feel under more pressure facing Muttiah Muralitharan or Jason Krejza? I think everyone in this forum would have a unanimous answer for that.
The pressure of facing Murali is completely different to the pressure of being in front of a larger or more fanatical crowd. The MCG is one of the biggest grounds in the world, and crowds there go as high as mid 90,000s. Does that put Australians under more pressure than in Adelaide, for example?

But the fact reamins as it is,Sachin had more expectations and pressure,though in 2-3 years that might have lessened,but in last 102 years,there were few injuries,he was out of team because of that + there was T20 series,in which all fab4 were not playing,19 years of Internation cricket,body will get tired,thats why we dont see Sachin hitting more sixes or aggressive cricket,but still he is playing quite well.

If Sachin Tendulkar was beneath a fridge, he would be under more pressure then if he was playing under nothing.

Lets leave Tendulkar out of this and discuss about Ponting around whom this thread should revolve.

Definitely Ponting is a great batsman. Though I don't think his batting is delightful, it is effective and that is what matters. But needs to sort his technique against Ishant ;).

Kevin Pietersen and Dawid Malan > Ponting tbh.

I think it's clear that Ponting is the best batsman of the 2000's, if Tendulkar had avoided injury and been on top form he'd have been ahead of Ponting, but when it comes to the 2000's I'd say Ponting's ahead. Tendulkar was unstobbable in the 90's though, so in terms of this decade Ponting's ahead, but personally I'd say that Tendulkar is the better player. I'm not saying Ponting's not a great player, because he is, but Tendulkar's been superb for India, and he's had a magnificent career. Just a shame Inzamam's better than the 2 of them really, because I claim Sachin's better than Ponting, and Inzamam's got a better record in wins than Sachin, so he's the greatest player of the modern era. :(

:p

Ricky Ponting - One of the greats of all time.
Virender Sehwag - One of the greats of modern era.
Sachin Tendulker - The greatest of this era and the era before that.

It's absurd thinking that Ponting is greatest. No offense though. :D

Ricky Ponting - One of the greats of all time.
Virender Sehwag - One of the greats of modern era.
Sachin Tendulker - The greatest of this era and the era before that.

It's absurd thinking that Ponting is greatest. No offense though. :D
Absurd to think that Ponting is better than Tendulkar? You can have an opinion one way or the other, but it's far from absurd. I reckon Ponting is better, but either way, there wouldn't be much of a gap.

The pressure of facing Murali is completely different to the pressure of being in front of a larger or more fanatical crowd. The MCG is one of the biggest grounds in the world, and crowds there go as high as mid 90,000s. Does that put Australians under more pressure than in Adelaide, for example?
I never claimed there was only one kind of pressure. But someone claimed that there are no different levels of pressure, when there quite clearly are.

After our 80's brigade retired and before the Dravids, Gangulys and Laxmans came into their own, Tendulkar very honestly was synonymous with the Indian batting line-up. So much so, that when his wicket fell, millions of Indians turned their TV sets off. If you don't think there is extra pressure on you to perform when you're expected to be the only capable batsman in your line-up, I don't know if you will ever be convinced of my argument.

That is not to say that Ponting was under no pressure, whatsoever. Playing for Australia is a difficult task altogether, since a few bad performances can see the end of your international career.

It is my opinion, however, that the pressure of failing millions of your fans who are looking up to you to perform for India is higher than the pressure of failing yourself by not performing up to your expected standard.

I never claimed there was only one kind of pressure. But someone claimed that there are no different levels of pressure, when there quite clearly are.

After our 80's brigade retired and before the Dravids, Gangulys and Laxmans came into their own, Tendulkar very honestly was synonymous with the Indian batting line-up. So much so, that when his wicket fell, millions of Indians turned their TV sets off. If you don't think there is extra pressure on you to perform when you're expected to be the only capable batsman in your line-up, I don't know if you will ever be convinced of my argument.

That is not to say that Ponting was under no pressure, whatsoever. Playing for Australia is a difficult task altogether, since a few bad performances can see the end of your international career.

It is my opinion, however, that the pressure of failing millions of your fans who are looking up to you to perform for India is higher than the pressure of failing yourself by not performing up to your expected standard.
Fair enough, and I don't disagree with you at all that Tendulkar was under a lot of pressure. But performance under pressure is more mental than it is skill, and I don't consider a great pressure batsman to make him automatically better than another one.

Seeing as Ponting still has some time at the top of the game, I think it's definitely too early to call.

Fair enough, and I don't disagree with you at all that Tendulkar was under a lot of pressure. But performance under pressure is more mental than it is skill, and I don't consider a great pressure batsman to make him automatically better than another one.

Seeing as Ponting still has some time at the top of the game, I think it's definitely too early to call.
Fair call with the mental aspect.

Users who are viewing this thread