Mustaq Ahmed retires from Domestic Cricket

Ayub 95

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Pakistan and Sussex leg-spinner Mushtaq Ahmed has retired from county cricket because of an ongoing knee injury.

Mushtaq has spent the last six years with Sussex, helping them to three County Championships, the C&G Trophy and the Totesport Division Two title.

The 38-year-old, the leading wicket taker in the County Championship for the past five years, said: "This is a very hard decision for me to make.

"My love, my feelings and my heart will always be with Sussex."

During his county career, Mushtaq took 598 wickets, bowling more than 26,000 overs, but feels time and injuries have now caught up with him.

"I feel that I could possible play one more year but, out of respect, I would only do that if I felt 100%.

"I am going to miss playing for the club greatly. I am truly honoured to have spent six wonderful years here."

This is extremely sad news for Sussex and great man on and off the field

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/counties/sussex/7583831.stm

Sureshot

Executive member
It's a big loss, but I think it's one we've got used to this season. Rayner has done very well, though not on a level of Mushy at his best.

Fantastic servant for the club, as Adams said, "Has anyone had a greater impact at one county?". I doubt it.

One of the nicest guys around, too.

Long live the legend. :hpraise

DPRA

International Cricketer
Wow. Everyone seems to be retiring now.

Unlucky for the man, was a quality bowler, Seen him work his magic a few times before.

Jit

International Cricketer
Wow. Everyone seems to be retiring now.

Unlucky for the man, was a quality bowler, Seen him work his magic a few times before.

ya agree with both and espeically that everyone is retiring fast lol

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
It's a big loss, but I think it's one we've got used to this season. Rayner has done very well, though not on a level of Mushy at his best.

Fantastic servant for the club, as Adams said, "Has anyone had a greater impact at one county?". I doubt it.

One of the nicest guys around, too.

Long live the legend. :hpraise

I hate to try to argue a point in a thread like this, but Shane Warne did pretty much turn Hampshire on its head.

Sad news, but when he was out with the injury, i know i myself thought that it might be the end. He has had a brilliant run! And don't fantastically well.

Its another end to an era of a legendary bowler.

Sureshot

Executive member
Fair point, but I don't think Warne got as many wickets or 5 fors as Mushy. Nor did he go off to do a poker tournament ;)

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
There will be a few less bruises on my forehead as I'll be spending less time headbutting the pavilion wall now he's gone. Quite glad really as with this new regional setup Mushy had the potential to provide me with many such chances. ;)

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Fair point, but I don't think Warne got as many wickets or 5 fors as Mushy. Nor did he go off to do a poker tournament ;)

Warne is a classy player ;) And a very classy guy! At what 37? The money he'll get from the poker tourniment and the IPL will probably set him up for the next few years. Plus he is hired as a commentator. I think it was always going to be this way as he has his "after," life sorted.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Mushy, ohh man, oldy goldy gone.

I just loved the fact that he use to get wickets so easily, he was great in my ICC game too.

Totsiens legend/

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
Real shame, Mushy was a great bowler and a joy to watch, wish him all the best.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
In terms of English Domestic cricket then Mushtaq beats Warne hands down. Mushy spearheaded Sussex to fantastic success as opposed to what Warne has done at Hampshire.

I was at Lords for the C&G final in 2006 and although Kirtley gets all the plaudits for his 5fer in that game, it was Mushy who won the game for them. Top player.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Aye, that was one hell of a final. Didn't he take Sussex to something like 3 championships in 5 years? What a legend.

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
They were goin on about Mushy's career during the Lancashire v Sussex Pro 40 game on Monday and Mushy has bowled the equivalent of 1 ball from hove to the Algarve in Portugal.

Users who are viewing this thread