My Batting Advice

Scariest thing is even if all his first 10 runs were 2's rather than a mix of 2's and 1's, then that means he's hit 83 off the next 21 balls all while claiming to be taking his time. That's 4 a ball for the last 21 balls.

Imagine what would've happened if he hadn't "taken his time". Mind boggles :eek:

Scariest thing is even if all his first 10 runs were 2's rather than a mix of 2's and 1's, then that means he's hit 83 off the next 21 balls all while claiming to be taking his time. That's 4 a ball for the last 21 balls.

Blind idiot, haven't I written 'at first'? And for those who don"t believe me -

123985d1400230755-how-you-doing-your-career-img_0388.jpg

123986d1400230755-how-you-doing-your-career-img_0386.jpg

----------

Blind idiot, haven't I written 'at first'? And for those who don"t believe me -

123985d1400230755-how-you-doing-your-career-img_0388.jpg

123986d1400230755-how-you-doing-your-career-img_0386.jpg

@cricket_online If I hadn't taken my time and tried to hit from first ball, then I'd have got out

Blind idiot, haven't I written 'at first'? And for those who don"t believe me

@cricket_online If I hadn't taken my time and tried to hit from first ball, then I'd have got out

I've pretty sure everyone believes you, bro.

It's just that there's no definition of "taking my time" that ends up with 93 in 26 deliveries.

Taking my time (which I do, because it was always my temperament as a batsman anyway and I think it best to stick to what I know) means I'll often only have 10 or so after 26.

FCC, of course, where I can afford to take that much time to get to 10, but the point still stands: "taking my time" and "93 off 26" are fundamentally incompatible.

Haha... it seems like bumbisoft's Watson was very drunk or at least euphoric with joy after his amazing batting. I'm so glad he first took his time to get his eye in before the all out slaughtering...

Haha... it seems like bumbisoft's Watson was very drunk or at least euphoric with joy after his amazing batting. I'm so glad he first took his time to get his eye in before the all out slaughtering...

Good one, but it was because the frames were changing

So, as soon as humanly possible after the bowler has released the ball, choose your foot placement with the left analogue stick and thereby set your batsmen for the shot. Wait then for the ball to come into the hit zone so that you can time it properly. If your foot placement is completely wrong for the shot you are playing, or your timing is out, you will still play the ball in the air. But, I can guarantee that you will immediately see a vast improvement once you employ this approach of first setting your batsman by choosing his foot placement early.

I said this before the game even came out.

The thing is, if people are happy triggering the footwork first then it means that a batting model is possible (in another game. They aren't going to recode DBC like this, obviously)where the batsman begins to move and prepare the backlift when you trigger the footwork, then you could use the right stick to trigger the downswing, which would be much snappier than the current method where the right stick triggers footwork-upswing-downswing, meaning you have to select your shot much earlier than real life and the bowling has to be slowed down to u.14 speeds so people can make the shot decision in time.

Effectively the problems people are having with the speed isn't (for a lot of guys) that the bowling is too quick, because the bowling isn't remotely quick. It's that the batsman response to control input is slowed right down because you're triggering a much longer sequence of events with your "hit the ball now" input than when you make your "hit the ball now" decision in real life.

I reiterate all of this.

http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/2605051-post8348.html

Plus, the "Little Master" game is still awesome and worth another mention. ;)

No idea what the Little Master game is. Got a link for that?

The set up you describe is pretty much what I'm talking about, except I don't think a two stage right stick bat control is the right way.

You never think about raising your bat in real life, it's just part of your initial movement, and I don't see any real advantage to giving the user control of it for the extra trouble it causes. You're just making the "hit the ball now" movement more difficult - and crucially slower - to execute in order to give the user control of something that's not a crucial twitch control factor in real life shot results.

The nature of the backlift is inextricably linked to - if not directly determined by - footwork execution, so I think it makes the most sense to link it to that input, both for reasons of realism and user input efficiency.

Last edited:
If you think the DBC bowling is quick you've never played quick bowling.

eta oh right, the 'little master' link is in that post.

Yeah I've played that. Basically what that game models well is the sense of having to coordinate and time your whole body movement in order to deliver a bat to a specific location at the correct time. "Timing your swing" as per baseball terminology, which means being at the correct point in your swing form - ie, weight maximally into the shot, arms compressed ready to extend etc - when you make contact with the ball.

Last edited:
No idea what the Little Master game is. Got a link for that?

For me, the best Cricket game ever made: Little Master Cricket

The set up you describe is pretty much what I'm talking about, except I don't think a two stage right stick bat control is the right way.

You never think about raising your bat in real life, it's just part of your initial movement, and I don't see any real advantage to giving the user control of it for the extra trouble it causes. You're just making the "hit the ball now" movement more difficult - and crucially slower - to execute in order to give the user control of something that's not a crucial twitch control factor in real life shot results.

The nature of the backlift is inextricably linked to - if not directly determined by - footwork execution, so I think it makes the most sense to link it to that input, both for reasons of realism and user input efficiency.

The advantage is that it allows the game to understand what you are trying to do: by saying "I want the bat to start here, and then hit here". So it's not necessarily the "backlift", but more giving the game extra directional input. It would be a series of commands for different types of shots.

If you think the DBC bowling is quick you've never played quick bowling.

Wow, you are giving yourself a chance at the top two!

How about,

If you think the sniper rifles in CoD are powerful you obviously never killed anyone with a 50cal.

Mmm no yours is worse still.

Sure, just double down on the fact that you think a delivery that takes like a full second to reach you through the air is "quick" by supplementing with nonsensical analogies.

----------

The advantage is that it allows the game to understand what you are trying to do: by saying "I want the bat to start here, and then hit here". So it's not necessarily the "backlift", but more giving the game extra directional input. It would be a series of commands for different types of shots.

Well, it's one of those things that I wouldn't know until I actually tried it, but the fact that backlifts are largely uniform regardless of shot type (shot power is another matter and that might take some thinking about) dissuades me of the idea that the input is really useful - you already know where the top of the backlift is supposed to be. They all start out in a very similar spot (for an orthodox player, anyway)and it's the movement from the termination of the backlift to the intended contact point where the shots branch out.

----------

So for instance, here are 3 shots of Ian Botham's backlift. I've tried to get the termination point but it's a bit a bodge job, but hopefully it's clear enough.

Anyway, these are the backlifts for a front foot cover drive, a backfoot slash drive behind cover point and a pull shot through midwicket.

Image codes: Botham3

Image codes: botham2

Image codes: botham1

I'm sure there are plenty of examples of different backlifts for different shots - especially defensive nudges, shots to spinners, that kind of stuff - but overall I wonder if the similarities are sufficient that a well coded contextually aware auto backlift linked to footwork might offer a similar degree of control to a two phase control, but be simpler and more fun to use.

I'm only and armchair designer so I might be dead wrong, of course.

So you are saying that making a judgment about a video game based directly on its real lifeccounterpart is nonsense?

I agree. Thanks for the clarification.

So how long does it take for the game ball at 158kph take to reach the batsman?

" like a second " doesn't seem that accurate. I think it takes, like half a second.

I wonder who is closer?

Considering it takes more than half a second in real life you might find it is pretty close to real speed. Certainly its a lot closer than" not even remotely quick".

So you are saying that making a judgment about a video game based directly on its real lifeccounterpart is nonsense?

I agree. Thanks for the clarification.

So how long does it take for the game ball at 158kph take to reach the batsman?

" like a second " doesn't seem that accurate. I think it takes, like half a second.

I wonder who is closer?

Considering it takes more than half a second in real life you might find it is pretty close to real speed. Certainly its a lot closer than" not even remotely quick".

I think you'll find it takes a ball at 100mph less than half a second to travel 22 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread